Snorkeling at CocoCay

Katiemay0101

I'll be cruising in July to Jamaica with a stop in CocoCay and was wondering if they offer snorkeling there? It's been a while since I've been and I would love for the kid to get a chance to do it. The cruise offers a snorkeling shore excursion in Jamaica but I would rather spend that day exploring. Thanks for the info in advance. 

Katie

Love to snorkel CocoCay.  Last visit we were not allowed out past the breakers due to a thunderstorm that took up a position just north of the island in the morning and hung around all day producing periodic lightening.  We were made to get out of the water several times.  But the fish near the breakers were great.  Even saw a stingray in the shallows near the waters edge.  

34 minutes ago, Katiemay said:

I'll be cruising in July to Jamaica with a stop in CocoCay and was wondering if they offer snorkeling there? It's been a while since I've been and I would love for the kid to get a chance to do it. The cruise offers a snorkeling shore excursion in Jamaica but I would rather spend that day exploring. Thanks for the info in advance. 

Katie

I usually snorkel off the beach as discussed above, but there is a snorkel excursion that I will book next time to see a natural reef rather than the rocks at Chill Island.

3 hours ago, wstephensi said:

Yes.  They have several sunken planes and ships with great fish in about 8-10 feet of water about 100 yards off the beach.  Also the rock breakers have great fish as well.

Life guards are on duty.  There are several floats for resting as well.

Gear can be rented on the island.

Can anyone confirm that the sunken plane is still there? I’ve heard it was removed and it doesn’t seem to appear on maps anymore.

We enjoyed snorkeling around the jetty at Chill Beach back in August where we saw some small fish and a ray. Last month the surf was rough and we weren’t allowed past the jetty making snorkeling impossible  

If there’s a better place to snorkel I’d love to hear about it.