Royal picks my room

Alibou3193

I'm currently pricing out a future cruise and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with royal picking your room vs. picking your own.  Does royal always assign you the most undesirable location? When do they usually assign your room?  I'm not looking to book a balcony or suite, just a plain old interior, but I've noticed that the price difference could be anywhere from $50-$100. 

Assume the worst but hope for the best seems to fit when discussing this. There are terrible locations "out there" and it isn't always the long walk from stem or stern. NOISE is a key word when researching a cabin's location. But on the positive side I've almost always had good luck moving my cabin after I've booked a guarantee (either for myself or one of my customers). It has to be the same category to move it but after final payment I also recommend looking at price drops on a slight upgrade. 

Hopefully you are using an agent which can also be helpful to you in a situation like this ( I'm retiring so not referring to myself here ;>)

1 hour ago, Alibou3193 said:

I'm currently pricing out a future cruise and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with royal picking your room vs. picking your own.  Does royal always assign you the most undesirable location? When do they usually assign your room?  I'm not looking to book a balcony or suite, just a plain old interior, but I've noticed that the price difference could be anywhere from $50-$100. 

Rooms can be assigned anytime from the same day you book to the day of the cruise.  There seems to be no pattern that we can see.  (It probably has something to do with how full the ship is but we don't have access to that information so it seems random.)  If knowing your room in advance is important to you, you might want to pick your own.

Undesirable locations aren't always easy to define.  Some people would hate a long walk to the stairs/elevators.  Others would love it because there would be no one walking past their room making noise.

2 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Rooms can be assigned anytime from the same day you book to the day of the cruise.  There seems to be no pattern that we can see.  (It probably has something to do with how full the ship is but we don't have access to that information so it seems random.)  If knowing your room in advance is important to you, you might want to pick your own.

Undesirable locations aren't always easy to define.  Some people would hate a long walk to the stairs/elevators.  Others would love it because there would be no one walking past their room making noise.

Below is the only pattern I can see for room assignments (for GTY).  There are definitely 3 infection points (100+, 30-39 & 10-19).

We just did a GTY Balcony on a future Anthem cruise (1st time).  We received our assignment 13 days from sailing (10-19 is the last big chunk of assignments).

Not sure about noise for this GTY assignment.  We have not been on the cruise yet, but it is on Deck 12 (close to forward elevators - Starboard side).

image.png.5ccca6b956cb61c6eac92bd5f1750315.png

Curt from Canada