safety from illness

Taj

Certainly, you should be most concerned about the flu virus ... it kills approximately 25,000 to 65,000 people in the US each year.  for 2020 (in less than two months it has already claimed 14,000 people).  Your best preparation for any high capacity "event" (public transportation, shopping, entertainment, flying, cruising, etc) is to get a flu shot immediately.  Especially, if you are young or old.

Curt from Canada

15 hours ago, twangster said:

If flying there is probably greater risk on the airplane compared to the cruise ship.  

Like the coronavirus and all other illnesses associated with cruise ships, they do not get on board by themselves. It is everyone's responsibility to do what they can to not bring those things onboard with you. Although everybody should be washing their hands frequently and using hand sanitizer while onboard, these habits should start long before you board. When there is an "outbreak" onboard a ship, everybody wants to blame the cruise line, but somebody brought that onboard.

WASHY! WASHY!

What's particularly challenging with CV is the long period where an individual can be a carrier but not show or feel any symptoms.  

In two weeks time someone can be on multiple airplanes, several buses, a couple of taxis, different hotels, grocery stores, shopping malls, school, church and so on.  Then they get on a cruise ship where they are on that ship for days. 

It's easy to correlate location when you have been in one place for days.  If people would stay at church for days it would be easy to label a church as an epicenter for a virus.  These 400 people all were at church XYZ for 7 days and they all were infected.  Therefore the church is the common denominator.  

Except those 400 church goers see 350 different doctors.  Doctors don't communicate with each other, they don't aggregate their data.  Consequently only 10 of 400 cases are identified or communicated.  

On a ship there is only 1 medical center. They see all cases on that ship.  They can aggregate that data.  

Trying to track all the stores and buses and taxis that 400 people used in the days before arriving at church is a huge undertaking.  Much easier to identify the church so that is what the media would do.  Substitute ship for church or school or...

Meh, I wouldn't be too worried, everything is up to chance. I got a flu shot this year and got the flu 5 days later. I wash my hands fifty-eleven times, it was just my turn.

I would definitely be, only truly worried about one illness....the Itis. With all the food choices you run the risk of falling into food comas and truly hurting yourself. 

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

Meh, I wouldn't be too worried, everything is up to chance. I got a flu shot this year and got the flu 5 days later. I wash my hands fifty-eleven times, it was just my turn.

I would definitely be, only truly worried about one illness....the Itis. With all the food choices you run the risk of falling into food comas and truly hurting yourself. 

Sounds about right.  Flu vaccines have a few drawbacks:

1).  They take about two weeks to be fully effective.

2).  They do not cover all strains.  The researchers each year have to make estimates on which strains will be the most prevalent.  There are always strains out there that we are not protected from.

Don't get me going about overeating.  My Dr. put me on a crazy diet.  In less than a month it will face the biggest test yet ... Cruising On A Diet.

?

Sounds like a horror movie title.

Curt from Canada

@Curt From Canada I've been on a only-what-you-cook diet since Oct. My doctor is allowing me an exception when it comes to cruising as long as I get enough water, fruit and veggies to balance out. I don't know what your restrictions are but RC does seem to have some fit options that don't taste like old pizza boxes.?