Going to try Grandeur before she moves -- have some questions

MaryCS62

So, DH & I want to cruise in March 2021, during his Spring Break week (he teaches at a community college) & we just got the calendar, so we can finally book.  Unfortunately, our usual choice (Bayonne) is unavailable, as Anthem that week is the "Philadelphia Eagles" special cruise, and NOT AT ALL our thing -- not into football, wouldn't be an Eagles fan if I were.  So, our next closest port is Baltimore for sailing out of, as we can drive there, & don't want to fly to Florida.  It's also the 2nd to last Grandeur cruise before she switches to the other cruise company.

So -- have some questions about Grandeur.  I know she is an older/smaller ship, without most of the bells & whistles, which is alright by us.  This is mainly going to be relax in the sun, might not even get off the ship much except in Charleston, as we've never been, & that will depend on the weather.  Was mainly looking at the things to do & places to eat on the ship.  

I'm curious about Izumi, as it's situated on deck 12, with access from deck 11.

1) Is it only stairs, or do they have a lift/elevator/handicap access? -- traveling with DD in a wheelchair

2) Is it just sushi, or do they have hibachi/hot rocks?

Also -- I can't tell if there is a solarium restaurant, or just something called Park Cafe, which sounds like the basic free foods that are available on the Promenade on other ships

Does anyone recommend trying this ship/cruise?  I know other people here are big fans of her, so just wanted some perspectives. I've also heard that she's a little rundown, & not as well kept, and that is a concern. We're looking at connecting Junior Suites - mainly for the room & extra points, as I know there's no CK or other perks associated with them on the smaller ship.

6 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

So, DH & I want to cruise in March 2021, during his Spring Break week (he teaches at a community college) & we just got the calendar, so we can finally book.  Unfortunately, our usual choice (Bayonne) is unavailable, as Anthem that week is the "Philadelphia Eagles" special cruise, and NOT AT ALL our thing -- not into football, wouldn't be an Eagles fan if I were.  So, our next closest port is Baltimore for sailing out of, as we can drive there, & don't want to fly to Florida.  It's also the 2nd to last Grandeur cruise before she switches to the other cruise company.

So -- have some questions about Grandeur.  I know she is an older/smaller ship, without most of the bells & whistles, which is alright by us.  This is mainly going to be relax in the sun, might not even get off the ship much except in Charleston, as we've never been, & that will depend on the weather.  Was mainly looking at the things to do & places to eat on the ship.  

I'm curious about Izumi, as it's situated on deck 12, with access from deck 11.

1) Is it only stairs, or do they have a lift/elevator/handicap access? -- traveling with DD in a wheelchair

2) Is it just sushi, or do they have hibachi/hot rocks?

Also -- I can't tell if there is a solarium restaurant, or just something called Park Cafe, which sounds like the basic free foods that are available on the Promenade on other ships

Does anyone recommend trying this ship/cruise?  I know other people here are big fans of her, so just wanted some perspectives. I've also heard that she's a little rundown, & not as well kept, and that is a concern. We're looking at connecting Junior Suites - mainly for the room & extra points, as I know there's no CK or other perks associated with them on the smaller ship.

Calling @coneyraven!

I've traveled a couple Vision class ships but never on grandeur. So take this with some skepticism! 

All Vision class ships have elevators and are less crowded.  Therefore they work well with wheelchairs, but get an accessible room.

The park cafe is located in the solarium, which is fully enclosed. The food is pretty basic. Sandwiches and such.

I've never visited izumi so I can't comment on that. 

Izumi on Grandeur has both sushi and hot rocks.  You take a elevator to the Viking Crown deck and then there is a ramp up to the Izumi area.  What I cannot recall is whether the ramp goes all the way up to the restaurant or if there are a couple of steps up at the very end.  As many times as I’ve been up there you’d think I’d remember !

Some Grandeur pictures in this older trip blog from 2017.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/6453-recap-grandeur-9-night-bermuda-bahamas-august-2017/

Park Cafe has sandwiches, salads and pizza at times such as late night.  

This picture of the VCL is taken from the starboard side ramp up to Izumi (port side has stairs to Izumi):

WBPAlkJ.jpg

Excellent!! We don't need a handicap room for DD, she is not confined to the wheelchair, it's for safety, & to get around more quickly (she has CP, but can walk, just slowly & has balance issues).  Don't need the roll in shower, a shower chair does fine, & the Jr Suite has the tub, which is better. For the Izumi entrance, even if there was a step or 2 at the end, we'd manage, but glad to see the ramp.  Also, with Hot Rocks, might get to actually eat there (instead of just doing the sushi class) -- DH doesn't care for sushi, & younger DD is gluten free, so Hot Rocks might be safer than Hibachi.  

Exactly as @twangster was leading to, there are no steps leading up to Izumi.   As for Grandeur, I would never consider her to be run-down.  Does she have all the bells & whistles?  No  But what she lacks in bells & whistles, she makes up in enabling you to truly relax in "old style cruising" style. 

We absolutely love her.  Breaks our heart that she's leaving.  And with Enchantment coming, all you have is Chops..... hopefully that'll change before she arrives.  Izumi is awesome.  By far our favorite restaurant, and I'm not a sushi eater.

100% ... this is a few bells and whistles cruise ship.  However, it has a big heart.  More importantly, you should take advantage of:

1).  Its connection with the sea.  Like the Radiance class you always see the water.  On a large number of ships you can go for very long periods of time without seeing water ... on Grandeur the sea is always there.

2).  The Centrum.  There is always something happening there.  We always get to know the R-Bar staff real quick.  We would start there at 4:30ish and dance, drink and talk with people up until the shows or dinner.

3).  If John Blair is the cruise director, do not miss his Neil Diamond Tribute Show.  We first saw the show in 2006 and saw in 2017, 2018 and 2019.  It is quite good (I do not remember any other Cruise Directors doing something similar).

4).  Charleston ... It was amazing; we really need to go back now.

5).  Chops ... We always had good meals at Chops ... Giovanni's was 50% great and 50% bad (really weird this lack of consistency).

We are booked through until the end of 2021, so no more Grandeur ... we always had fun on Lady G.

Curt from Canada

3 hours ago, Curt From Canada said:

3).  If John Blair is the cruise director, do not miss his Neil Diamond Tribute Show.  We first saw the show in 2006 and saw in 2017, 2018 and 2019.  It is quite good (I do not remember any other Cruise Directors doing something similar).

I'm totally crossing my fingers and toes that Mr. Blair is cruise director on one of my two sailings on Grandeur between May and December of this year!

4).  Charleston ... It was amazing; we really need to go back now.

I booked a December cruise to Nassau and CocoCay simply because it stops in both Charleston and Port Canaveral. I've heard great things about Charleston from fellow history nerds, and of course, I have to visit Kennedy Space Center!

In addition to the above, I'm just really looking forward to experiencing smaller-ship cruising. I don't need all the bells and whistles or a floating amusement park! I hope you have a wonderful time on Grandeur if you decide to sail her -- I know I'm looking forward to my days and nights aboard!