Child passport question - already have cards

Smurfy

I have questions about child passports and can't seem to find answers anywhere. My kids already have current passport cards (not booklets). Will that be good enough or are they better off having the booklets? I have a regular passport booklet, and it will just be the 3 of us.

Another questions is if it is recommended that they get the booklet, do we have to go through the entire passport process, as if they didn't have anything? Or is there an easier process since they have the cards already?

The passport card will be enough when traveling to Canada & Mexico by land & also when traveling by cruise ship, & train but NOT When flying to another country. 

If you plan on flying to other countries with your children then you should renew your kids passports so that they would have the passport booklet but if you do not plan on flying to other countries with your children the passport card will be enough for them to board the cruise ship with at the cruise terminal and also when getting back on the ship from ports of call.

On 2/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, Smurfy said:

Another questions is if it is recommended that they get the booklet, do we have to go through the entire passport process, as if they didn't have anything? Or is there an easier process since they have the cards already?

See this https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/i-have-a-passport-card-but-need-a-passport-book-to-travel-to-barbados.html

29 minutes ago, crazytaxman said:

Just get the passport book. Not even sure why you need the passport card since that is only good for land entry. If you fly or miss your ship, only the passport book will allow you entry.

The kids already have the passport card. Their dad got it for them, not me. They traveled (by car) to Canada a few years ago.