Empress of the Seas Rumors (Again)

The ship left Miami at 8:03 am (Miami Time) and is due back in the Miami port at 5:30 pm. I'm sure that a fair number of the people on board are news reporters. 

940420p516EDNmainRCI-Empress-arrives-Mia

Empress of the Seas in her new home port  Miami  

So in 14 hours it has traveled only 35 miles?

Yes it is strange but the ship is not showing in the Miami port. Every ship entering and leaving the port is tracked and logged. I cannot tell why the tracking is not showing a updated location. But the Port log clearly shows it coming into port and leaving. here is that log.

EMPRESS OF THE SEAS
(9HJE9)
MALTA
ELLER-ITO STEVEDORING COMPANY, LLC
 691 ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES, LTD.
NASSAU
NASSAU
PSG
ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL PSG
G (6.5-W) SST 5/27/16 555 5/28/16 1700

In short the ship was at the cruise terminal at 5:55am on the 27th of May Friday. It left the cruise terminal on Saturday May 28th at 5:00 pm local time. Cannot example anymore other than to say we are talking about the Empress of the Seas.

Ok thanks! Maybe marinetraffic.com's satellite is having technical issues.

I wish I knew what was going on because the last update on AIS was a day and a half ago.  marinetraffic.com is having no problem tracking the rest of the fleet but Empress is like a black hole... very strange....

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of issues with this ship still apparently. On her 3rd cruise now(I think) and still issues with no AC on deck 5, frequent flooding in different areas of the ship. Service is slow often, some staff not happy with ship conditions for working/living on it....

While I realize that you can't believe everything you read and hear, it appears there are lots of issues ongoing.

As well, for a ship that was advertised as more of a "party" ship, this appears to not be the case.

So glad I didn't end up booking this as when it first opened up it sounded amazing!

Just noticed the banner under empress sailings with the Cuban flag. Any word on whether any of these August itineraries will be diverted to Cuba?

Eric Reeves

Empress going to Cuba has been highly rumored and RC has all but said it will happen.

From what we understand, RC is waiting for permission to start offering cruises.

Really, really bummed to see that the overnights in Cozumel aren't being planned anymore; right now all that's being offered is Key West and Grand Cayman.  Meh.

Not interested in Cuba right now, not at least until Fidel meets his maker.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read on CC that the Empress is having engine problems and changed from Grand Cayman to the Nassau.  Called RC and spoke to an operator about my cruise and they are saying they do not have any information or not.  I hope they don't wait until the last minute to cancel.  I am heading out on July 4th. 

I hope it is something minor that can be easily fixed. However, I'm starting to think that bringing the Empress back into the fleet was one of Royal's worst decisions from a financial standpoint. Of course, time will tell and returning and old ship is obviously cheaper than a new build and much faster to do. Only time will come tell.

I hope it is something minor that can be easily fixed. However, I'm starting to think that bringing the Empress back into the fleet was one of Royal's worst decisions from a financial standpoint. Of course, time will tell and returning and old ship is obviously cheaper than a new build and much faster to do. Only time will come tell.

I have to wonder what that says about Pullmantur -- Are they that hard on a ship?  Poor maintenance?  Who knows

I have to wonder what that says about Pullmantur -- Are they that hard on a ship?  Poor maintenance?  Who knows

I've spoken to a couple others who have speculated this as well, and have hoped that Monarch isn't in a similar state. 

I've spoken to a couple others who have speculated this as well, and have hoped that Monarch isn't in a similar state. 

Or Sovereign for that matter (which they've had longer than Monarch) --- It would be a shame for a ship that set the bar high for the modern day cruise ship to be left to fall apart from not being taken care of.