Empress of the Seas Rumors (Again)

I just read a blog on CC that stated the Empress did not pass her inspection by the CDC, many problems with her. Some were roaches, (yuck), potable water system, and many others. I have Googled and nothing. I went to www.cdc.gov, nothing in their files about Empress with the exception of a 2005 report.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

What was said on CC was the April 29, 2016 cruise will be cancelled and possibly the next one.

Candie

I'm starting to get really nervous (I'm on the May 9 sailing). The "page is temporarily unavailable" to book Empress sailings right now on the RC website. And it says that all cruises are sold out until June. As I recall, this is what happened the LAST time Empress was delayed... But in my head I'm thinking that RC wouldn't possibly do that AGAIN.... right??

I'm starting to get really nervous (I'm on the May 9 sailing). The "page is temporarily unavailable" to book Empress sailings right now on the RC website. And it says that all cruises are sold out until June. As I recall, this is what happened the LAST time Empress was delayed... But in my head I'm thinking that RC wouldn't possibly do that AGAIN.... right??

Well if it will make you happy absolutely they would never be stupid enough to pull the same deal again..... But that the make you feel good answer, at this point I would bet 10 to 1 that May 9th sailing will not happen..... Sorry...

I see that all April and May sailings are "sold out" EXCEPT for May 28 but as you indicated, Ib0336, the link for that sailing seems to be inop.

I was assured that our sailing (May 23) was going...but that was word from Michelle via the CS at RCI so I'm sure that's all they've been told to say.

I really do NOT believe that they would cancel a cruise that is only 5 days out (April 25).  That would be worse than bad...it would be evil....and the backlash from cancellation of that cruise at THIS point would be horrific.

Do I believe that all of these cruises are really sold out ?  Not for 1 minute.  I believe that they have closed off new bookings and that there will be "continued work" going on during the first several sailings.  I do feel sorry for those who have the April 25 sail date b/c I expect at least SOME delays with final inspections, etc.  I have not been on CC this morning so I cannot say whether there is news of the ship leaving Grand Bahama.  If it is still there I think that is bad news.  They surely are going to need SOME time in US waters for inspections.  Or maybe the inspectors to go her...in GB.  I really have no knowledge of such things.

Anyway, I am somewhat relieved to have several sailings in front of mine...to help with the "untied loose ends" that are inevitable.

Well, Todd...I'm sorry to say that it looks like you were right.

They've now cancelled all Empress sailings up through ours (5/23) so that is it for me.  I am done with Empress.

They are offering 100% refund plus 100% certificate for another cruise so I will find something on another ship.

This SO BLOWS !

From RCI:

Empress of the Seas additional cancelled sailings
April 25, April 30, May 5, May 9, May 14, May 19 and May 23

Royal Caribbean International is canceling seven additional Empress of the Seas' sailings on April 25, 30, May 5, 9, 14, 19 and 23.

Modernizing Empress of the Seas for her return to the Royal Caribbean International fleet began in late February. As work has progressed, we learned that more significant infrastructure and physical improvements across the ship's multiple galleys and provisioning areas were needed to meet our high standards.

We decided that instead of simply repairing the five galleys, we would completely rebuild them, starting from scratch with entirely new infrastructure and all new equipment, at a cost of $10 million.

Guests originally booked on the March 30, April 4, April 7, April 11, April 16 and April 21 sailings and rebooked on one of the newly cancelled sailings will receive a full refund and a future cruise credit of 100%.

Guests scheduled to sail within 14 days of departure on the cancelled April 25 or April 30 sailing, who do not rebook, will receive a full refund and a future cruise credit of 50% of the fare paid.

All other guests scheduled to sail on the May 5th - May 23rd sail dates will be provided an onboard credit if they rebook to another Royal Caribbean sailing.

Please contact your booking professional by April 30th for reaccommodation. Refunds will be issued to all guests that have not reaccommodated by this date.

Guests with air transportation booked through Royal Caribbean International that transfer to another sailing will be rebooked on new flights at no cost to the guest provided the same gateways are used. If a guest purchased their own airfare, we will be covering their airline change fee provided.

Our travel partner's commission for these sailing will be protected, as long as the bookings are named and deposited regardless if they will rebook with us. In addition, travel partners will receive a rebooking bonus from Royal Caribbean.

We sincerely apologize to our guests and travel partners for the inconvenience, and hope they understand that more time was needed to ensure Empress of the Seas meets the standards for quality our guests expect from Royal Caribbean."

Wow...I have never seen such a mess and something handled so badly by a company in all my travels anywhere or with anyone.

I cant imagine all the re-booking, cancellations, work arrangements, vacation schedules......just the tip of the iceberg.

And to cancel on some bookings twice...and/or FIVE days before the cruise was scheduled to go......SMDH.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the May 9th sailing was cancelled and it was 8 days before sail.  I am so irritated and can't for the life of me understand why they waited so long.  I've had everything travel related completed and now won't get back any money directly for the airfare.  The most annoying fact is that they didn't offer any concessions for other cruises due to the inconvenience and paying out extra money to cancel airfare.  Our work schedules are booked out 2 months in advance (hospital) and I just can't change my schedule on a whim.  This may be my last Royal Carribean cruise.  I can't understand for the life of me why they didn't know this information within a reasonable amount of time and that's not 8 days!  So frustrating!  :angry:

Susie, you have a lot of sympathizers on this site.  Many of us were negatively impacted by these cancellations.  I was foolish enough to book TWICE on the Empress and get cancelled TWICE.  No more.  I took my double rebate and booked the Freedom...but lost $1400 in airline fees in the process...of which I should recoop only $400...if they EVER pay me !

There really is no explanation for their failure to inform us sooner.  They HAD to have known that they weren't going to get done in time TWICE.  It was reckless, irresponsible and inconsiderate to be polite.

There really is no explanation for their failure to inform us sooner.  They HAD to have known that they weren't going to get done in time TWICE.  It was reckless, irresponsible and inconsiderate to be polite.

You're to much a nice lady to say how you really feel. But knowing you through many post we know how you really feel. How Royal handled great clients like you, is a lesson in what not to do that could be presented in any MBA program.

• 3 weeks later...

First off let me extend my sympathies to those who have had cruises cancelled as part of this mess. Today is 5 days from the next scheduled trip for the Empress. My family is booked on the following cruise departing on June 2nd. After today, if no news comes out I will begin to believe we are going. When I see the ship leave Freeport I will be even more excited. When Santa Claus is sighted on board, I'll be really excited!

Well as of four minutes ago the ship was still in Freeport. 

Position Received: 4 min ago (2016-05-24 00:56 UTC)
Vessel's Local Time: 2016-05-23 19:56 (UTC -5)
Area: CARIBS - Caribbean Sea
Latitude / Longitude: 26.53067° / -78.75317°
Speed/Course: 0.0kn / -
AIS Source: 2396

Read more at http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:287704/mmsi:311000515/imo:8716899/vessel:EMPRESS_OF_THE_SEAS#C77zp2RoeH60sraG.99

I would really think if it is cruising next week it should be moving towards its home port for final preparation for the cruise.

I saw that earlier today. Mondays are a busy day in Miami. Hopefully she will move soon. If she is cruising on Friday, I would think she needs to spend a couple of days here for provisions and inspections.

I agree with you. While it only takes a few hours to turn a ship between cruises, it is not the same to set a ship up for a first cruise, everything must be put on the ship, all the systems tested, crew, and then the US inspections need to be done. And the USCG is going to look very closing at this ship because of all the press it has had.  It is about 930pm Monday night in Miami, if they moved the ship now it would be in port Tuesday morning, does not seem like enough time to get everything right. 

I was just on the Royal site they still show cabins available for the May 28th cruise and it allowed me to book up to the payment point( I stopped). So I'm lost here it is Tuesday morning and this ship is sailing Friday after being out of service for months, and a major rebuild. Again I do not see how they have enough time to move the ship, do the inspections, and fresh stocking all the supplies. One thing for sure if it cruises Friday I'm sure the service level on the ship will be sub standard. Three days and we will know.

I was just on the Royal site they still show cabins available for the May 28th cruise and it allowed me to book up to the payment point( I stopped). So I'm lost here it is Tuesday morning and this ship is sailing Friday after being out of service for months, and a major rebuild. Again I do not see how they have enough time to move the ship, do the inspections, and fresh stocking all the supplies. One thing for sure if it cruises Friday I'm sure the service level on the ship will be sub standard. Three days and we will know.

Perhaps I'm optimistic.  It will only take a few hours to get the ship from Freeport to the port and a single day for the Coast Guard inspections.  At the same time, they'll be able to load the supplies, so unless the ship doesn't arrive by sometime Thursday, it shouldn't be a problem.

Perhaps I'm optimistic.  It will only take a few hours to get the ship from Freeport to the port and a single day for the Coast Guard inspections.  At the same time, they'll be able to load the supplies, so unless the ship doesn't arrive by sometime Thursday, it shouldn't be a problem.

DocLC..... If I agreed with your case then it still could be a problem and shows how little Royal care about passengers these days. Even if it takes only one day, (which I do not believe is true) Royal has left not safety net here. Lets say the USCG finds a single problem and delays approval by a day, it will impact the passengers. Work stoppage  or any strike stops delivery of goods, and it affects the passengers.  

So if the ships arrives and everything goes right I still believe the passengers will have a second rate cruise because the ship cannot be 100% ready. And if anything at all goes wrong then it will result in big problems. The ship is moving now and the tracking says it will be in Miami ETA: 2016-05-25 09:30am. 

This is  a pattern they Royal seems to have fallen into over the last few years, pushing limits so far and taking out safety margins so passengers are affected. The ship should have been 100% ready several days ago.

DocLC..... If I agreed with your case then it still could be a problem and shows how little Royal care about passengers these days. Even if it takes only one day, (which I do not believe is true) Royal has left not safety net here. Lets say the USCG finds a single problem and delays approval by a day, it will impact the passengers. Work stoppage  or any strike stops delivery of goods, and it affects the passengers.  

So if the ships arrives and everything goes right I still believe the passengers will have a second rate cruise because the ship cannot be 100% ready. And if anything at all goes wrong then it will result in big problems. The ship is moving now and the tracking says it will be in Miami ETA: 2016-05-25 09:30am. 

This is  a pattern they Royal seems to have fallen into over the last few years, pushing limits so far and taking out safety margins so passengers are affected. The ship should have been 100% ready several days ago.

I'll agree that there isn't much margin for error.  However, I've watched a lot a documentaries on cruise ship renovations and I know the types of experts that they have onboard. It is extremely unlikely that there will be a safety or other issue that Coast Guard cites them for that can't be corrected immediately.  That's also why all ships have Safety Officers onboard and why they run weekly drills.  It's actually much more likely that a ship would fail a CDC inspection than a Coast Guard inspection in my opinion.

Regarding strikes, the same could be said about natural disasters, a hurricane, etc.  However, those all impact every ship that is sailing, not just this ship.

Are any of our members on this cruise? It will be interesting to here how the cruise goes. My guess is many items will not be on the ship, and services will be limited. I do not think the first few cruses will be up to normal Royal standards.

Are any of our members on this cruise? It will be interesting to here how the cruise goes. My guess is many items will not be on the ship, and services will be limited. I do not think the first few cruses will be up to normal Royal standards.

I know I'm being overly optimistic here, but I expect the exact opposite. Royal already has a black eye over all of this. If they don't hit a home run with this sailing, they'll end up looking like a raccoon and end up with an even worse PR nightmare. Thus, I think they're going to do everything to make sure this is a great success.

I know they are waiting for Cuba to open up and haven't scheduled bookings after July thus far, but darn it... I wish they would and that they'll be doing the overnight in Cozumel itinerary over Labor Day week.  I'd be on it in a heartbeat.  I'd walk to Miami for that cruise.

I know they are waiting for Cuba to open up and haven't scheduled bookings after July thus far, but darn it... I wish they would and that they'll be doing the overnight in Cozumel itinerary over Labor Day week.  I'd be on it in a heartbeat.  I'd walk to Miami for that cruise.

Do not see that in the cards for this ship.