Royal Up

Frank

Hi all, I just got notified 3 days before my sailing on Mariner that my upgrade bid has been accepted! 
I booked an interior stateroom for me and my fiancée and placed a bid for 135 a person. 
That bid was accepted and now we are in a balcony room!!  
That was also a “weak” bid on their bid meter! 

5 minutes ago, Frank said:

Hi all, I just got notified 3 days before my sailing on Mariner that my upgrade bid has been accepted! 
I booked an interior stateroom for me and my fiancée and placed a bid for 135 a person. 

This is very good news, since I put in a weak bid on an interior to balcony upgrade for Rhapsody in April! CONGRATS and ENJOY THAT BALCONY!!!!!! 

I put a fat bid on a Royal Suite for our Oasis Sailing, currently in a Crown Loft Suite. In the last two days, it now shows that ALL the suites are sold out (prior to this, the Royal Suite was showing available). So, a las, I believe my hopes to be dashed, but I get to keep my bid dollars for another sailing. 

50 minutes ago, Frank said:

That's awesome, Congrats!

21 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

I put a fat bid on a Royal Suite for our Oasis Sailing, currently in a Crown Loft Suite. In the last two days, it now shows that ALL the suites are sold out (prior to this, the Royal Suite was showing available). So, a las, I believe my hopes to be dashed, but I get to keep my bid dollars for another sailing. 

According to a booking agent from royal, if the room is showing sold out they still have separate rooms on hold for royal up bids! So not all hope is lost! 

50 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Don't give up hope.  We cruised on Oasis in December, I put in a weak bid to upgrade to star class even tho it looked like everything was sold out,  We got it!

1 hour ago, Frank said:

According to a booking agent from royal, if the room is showing sold out they still have separate rooms on hold for royal up bids! So not all hope is lost! 

Personally, I don't believe this.

Please explain why they would do this?

Example: They have a suite that hasn't been booked. For a couple to book that suite,  it would cost say $6000. If it doesn't get booked, they give it to someone who places a Royal Up bid for a much lower amount. That obviously makes sense for cabins that don't sell, as RC at least gets a bit more money from the Royal Up bid.

What you're saying is that they are intentionally not selling cabins just so they can use them for Royal Up... i.e. they are intentionally reducing the amount they can make for those cabins. You also need to think that there is always the possibility that nobody places a Royal Up bid for the unsold cabin, and they either sail with it empty, or upgrade someone for free.

This makes zero sense, hence why I don't believe it happens.

The reason they still offer Royal Up on sold out cruises will be to cover last minute cancellations. If someone cancels and they can't resell the cabin, they can at least get a few dollars more out of another passenger through Royal Up.

While I agree that on the surface that logic seems faulty, in some cases it could make sense. If the bidding for royalup was robust enough, and the upgrade chain sufficiently long, it could pay off. In your example, a $6000 owners suite is held aside. And the royalup  starts at a crown loft, and continues through grand suite, jr suite, ocean view balcony, central park view balcony, ocean view, and interior. An average bid of $900 would yield $6300, and the now empty interior room could be sold for $1500 more. After the dominoes fell and the inexpensive room was sold, $7800 would be realized in this example, plus a whole bunch of goodwill would be established.  I could be completely wrong, but the math is insane enough to work  sometimes.

3 hours ago, Balsam said:

Personally, I don't believe this.

Please explain why they would do this?

Example: They have a suite that hasn't been booked. For a couple to book that suite,  it would cost say $6000. If it doesn't get booked, they give it to someone who places a Royal Up bid for a much lower amount. That obviously makes sense for cabins that don't sell, as RC at least gets a bit more money from the Royal Up bid.

What you're saying is that they are intentionally not selling cabins just so they can use them for Royal Up... i.e. they are intentionally reducing the amount they can make for those cabins. You also need to think that there is always the possibility that nobody places a Royal Up bid for the unsold cabin, and they either sail with it empty, or upgrade someone for free.

This makes zero sense, hence why I don't believe it happens.

The reason they still offer Royal Up on sold out cruises will be to cover last minute cancellations. If someone cancels and they can't resell the cabin, they can at least get a few dollars more out of another passenger through Royal Up.

This is just what the representative from royal has told me and I am relaying the information! I do not know the logic behind it / if it’s 100% true! Take it with a grain of salt if you will ! ? 

16 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

I made an error, that should say "fat bid on a Star Loft Suite". I've not lost hope, afterall. Thanks everyone. 

On 2/15/2020 at 10:36 AM, Frank said:

This is just what the representative from royal has told me and I am relaying the information! I do not know the logic behind it / if it’s 100% true! Take it with a grain of salt if you will ! ? 

I wasn't questioning you or what you were told, so apologies if it came across that way.

I'm saying the rep is either mistaken, or just  giving a company line. Royal obviously want people to bid so they can have the opportunity to make some more money.