What's your CocoCay Strategy?

spursfreak21

Hello Everyone! So I'm visiting CocoCay for the first time this summer and it can't get here fast enough.  I'm wondering how those of you who have visited CocoCay actually planned/spent your day? I got waterpark passes - how much time would you spend there? It will just be my wife and I.  Where did you put your stuff while at the water park? What do you do with your flip flops when on the water slides? I haven't been to a water park since I was a kid, so sorry if these seem like no brainers.  What did you do after visiting the park? I'm debating getting a beach bed to have for the rest of the day, but any tips are appreciated.  I'm a planner, so I like to have my day planned out.  

Every time I go to cococay (or Labadee) I do the same thing.  I rent a cabana....spend 3 hours in the water....then sit in the cabana looking at the waves for a little while, eat lunch, and then spend another 3 hours in the water.

Then I waddle back to the ship with typical overweight American sand/salt water rash and get a shower saying "why did I spend so much time in the water?"

What an awesome time.....I can't wait for April now.

And on edit....probably doesn't answer your question ;).  There are lockers at cococay you can shove your stuff and storage if you rent a cabana

We got off the ship as soon as we could and went into the water park (probaby 8:30am or so). Grabbed a couple loungers by the wave pool then started up the devil's tower structure so we could do those slides before everyone else got off the ship. There were only a couple people in the various lines at that early. We left all of our things at our loungers - nothing out in the open, but still unattended. There are lockers ( I think for a fee) but if someone really wants my 15+ year old copy of a book, have at it ? There are cubbies at the bottom of the slide structures for footwear, but we just walked barefoot between the loungers and slides.

Once we got tired of the water park (around 1pm?) we walked around the island. We tried to get a couple loungers by the pool but by the afternoon they were all "occupied" so we ended up at chill island beach where there were still groups of 2 loungers together. Again, felt perfectly safe to leave our things at the chairs while we were in the water.

2 hours ago, cookingyo said:

I go to the Oasis Lagoon, throw my stuff on a lounger and hit the pool.   I stay there all day by the swim up bar.    Team DX so no worries.

When I was 19....I dropped out of college and took a sales job selling stereo/electronics at a primarily known for white goods retailed in the N.E.  I was really good at it and won a national sales competition on Mission Loud Speakers and was awarded an all expense paid trip for 2 to a Cancun resort for 4 days.  They had a swim up pool bar too.....I remember it vividly as my 19yr old ass (and my friend that I took) tried really really hard to give ourselves alcohol poisoning ? ? ?

I try to stay away from swim up bars because of that.   hehehehehehehehehe

Did the waterpark on our first visit, found a table and left our "stuff" at the table (threw a towel over everything so it wasnt obvious what was there but certainly not secure).

It was a decent waterpark but i have no interest in paying to do it again.

After the waterpark, wandered over to south beach, swam out to the tiki hut bar and floated for the rest of the day.

2nd visit, split time between floating at Tiki hut and floating in pool

3rd and 4th visits Tiki hut was not optimal with construction, grabbed seats at the big pool and floated all day.

Side note: Floating is a technical term meaning "to bob in the water while drinking beers and watching the scenery, occasionally drifting close enough to the bar to replenish the beer".

I bought a half day pass to the waterpark when I went but will not be doing that again- don't get me wrong it's cute, but for the rest of the day we relaxed at the swim up bar in Oasis Lagoon and then lounged in the chairs, which was quieter and had more adults than the waterpark (obviously). The shore excursions are nice there, but it's the best port of call i've been to that is perfect for doing absolutely nothing all day. It was so nice just to lay on the beach with a frozen drink in my hand or relax in the water. My upcoming cruise is May has two stops, one in coco cay and the other in labadee. We have not purchased any shore excursions for this entire cruise, nor do we plan to. We were on the beach at coco cay until we burnt and have no regrets!!!!!!!!!

Edited by RCIDreamer96
grammar and spelling

1 hour ago, RCIDreamer96 said:

I bought a half day pass to the waterpark when I went but will not be doing that again- don't get me wrong it's cute, but for the rest of the day we relaxed at the swim up bar in Oasis Lagoon and then lounged in the chairs, which was quieter and had more adults than the waterpark (obviously). The shore excursions are nice there, but it's the best port of call i've been to that is perfect for doing absolutely nothing all day. It was so nice just to lay on the beach with a frozen drink in my hand or relax in the water. My upcoming cruise is May has two stops, one in coco cay and the other in labadee. We have not purchased any shore excursions for this entire cruise, nor do we plan to. We were on the beach at coco cay until we burnt and have no regrets!!!!!!!!!

We purchased half day as well when they originally sold them.  We're your passes treated as full day (i.e. since no more half day)?  Or did they actually kick you out of the waterpark by lunch time?

My upcoming cruise is May has two stops, one in coco cay and the other in labadee. 

I'll be there with you! I thought this was a great relax and lay back cruise- force the DH to relax, whether he wants to or not ? I want the Beach Club pretty bad, but not enough to pay for a Beach Club cabana. 

When we went to PDCC in September we hung in a cabana most of the day and spent a little time at the Pool. That really is enough to keep us happy.

If you're not doing the Waterpark or Beach Club, go directly to the Oasis Pool and enjoy some beverages at the Swim-up Bar. Hit up the Snack Shack for one of those amazing chicken sandwiches and you'll be quite happy...you can't go wrong just laying around enjoying the beautiful ocean, nice breezes and endless sunshine.

For our trip in September, the missus and me are doing the Coco Beach Club for the relaxing experience, infiniti pool and amazing food. 

19 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

We purchased half day as well when they originally sold them.  We're your passes treated as full day (i.e. since no more half day)?  Or did they actually kick you out of the waterpark by lunch time?

If I remember correctly, they made some sort of announcement and started to clear out the park. Half day passes are still treated as half day even if they sell out. I went with the rest of the crowd leaving so I wasn't inside long enough for one of the lifeguards to usher us out. But I think it was a decent amount of time without kids-  we had done everything we wanted, including all of the water slides, at the 2.5 hour mark, so I still felt like I got my money's worth.  

If I remember correctly, they made some sort of announcement and started to clear out the park. Half day passes are still treated as half day even if they sell out. I went with the rest of the crowd leaving so I wasn't inside long enough for one of the lifeguards to usher us out. But I think it was a decent amount of time without kids-  we had done everything we wanted, including all of the water slides, at the 2.5 hour mark, so I still felt like I got my money's worth.  

It's not that the half day passes get sold out.  They don't sell them anymore.  Guessing it was hard to manage half day vs full day....which is why I was wondering  (hoping) if they get treated as a full day pass.

17 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

It's not that the half day passes get sold out.  They don't sell them anymore.  Guessing it was hard to manage half day vs full day....which is why I was wondering  (hoping) if they get treated as a full day pass.

I was wondering the same thing.  I am surprised to read that they actually try to empty the park and make those with the old half day passes, leave.

Be one of the first to disembark, enter the water-park, store whatever you have in the lockers, secure loungers and head straight to their highest water-slide "Daredevil’s Peak". You will be able to do this about 3-4 times before the lines begin to queue up from 45-60 minutes initially and longer as the day progresses. The "smaller" slides and wave pool will just be icing on the cake.

When we were there, the waves were choppy and the winds hit 60 mi/hr that day so we were recalled to the ship within the hour. Not too bad considering that we did the highest water-slide and were refunded the price of admission.

Can't emphasize enough that if the water-park is in your plan, disembark early.

1 hour ago, WannaCruise said:

I wasn't even aware that they weren't selling them anymore since I don't book excursions for cococay. But, from a business standpoint it makes sense. As @WAAAYTOOO said, it must have been difficult to manage half-day pass holders and full- day passholders