2 bedroom ATS vs Star Loft Suite w/kid

berkeleykel

My question is all theoretical but I want to be prepared just in case!

This site is a really bad influence.  I've had a 2 bedroom grand suite booked on Allure out of Barcelona for next October, which I originally booked last summer.  However, I've been a bit worried about the weather in October + intrigued by all the Star Class talk here.  So after stalking for months, I finally found a Star Loft suite pop up at a great price for the same ship/itinerary but for a September date and jumped on the chance to book it.  The price is about the same as the 2BD GS I had booked previously, and I had originally booked with a £25 pp deposit deal so I only lose £75 on the change.  EXCITING!!!

...however, the only downside to this change IMO is that we will lose out greatly on privacy in a Star Loft suite vs a 2 bedroom stateroom.  My son will be 4 at the time, he has recently moved to a 7 pm bedtime and he is the lightest sleeper you've met in your life.  I think we'll really miss not being able to put him to bed early, close his bedroom door, and be able to relax in the stateroom and go in/out of the balcony without disturbing him.  I also hate the faff of having to get the sofa bed made every night and it taking up my living space.   And being able to get room service without him waking up, etc.  I'm guessing on vacation he won't have quite such an early bed time, but I think our days of him closing out the kids club at midnight may be over.

So I'm thinking I'll continue to stalk and see if a 2 BD Aquatheater suite opens up for my sail date or one of the adjoining dates.  If that does happen, I want to be ready to act quickly without agonising over the decision.  In my situation, do you think it is a no brainer to go with the 2 bed ATS if one pops up at a similar price?  I do really like the 2-story window of the Star Loft, and the fact that the suite is midship and on the floor with Coastal Kitchen + the suite lounge.  The decor and bathrooms also look nicer than the ATS. 

Any thoughts from people with kids who've experienced one or both?

Also, if an ATS opens up on another sailing date, is the change fee $100 pp or is it more because its a suite (I made the new booking via the US website so US rules should apply)?

Thanks!

We have two girls, age 11 & 13.  We are sailing in an ATS on Oasis in a month mainly because the kids want the second bedroom and because D11 loves the balcony so she is really excited for the wraparound.  We did the Star Loft last year with them.  You most definitely lose out on privacy with the loft.

If I could pick between the two, I would choose the Star Loft every time.  The pros of the loft far outweigh the cons for me.  When we travel with our girls, we don't have much privacy anyway, second bedroom or not, and so I would much rather be up on Deck 17.

I'll have a much more solid opinion in about a month but I doubt it will change much from where I am at right now.

Wow....this is always such a difficult decision.  First off...there is no bad decision here.  It is a big WIN either way.

For a first time Star Class passenger, I would probably go with the ATS.  The long walk truly sucks but I am with Speednoodles here.  I think I would be a nervous wreck with a toddler and those stairs. I am scared for MYSELF on those stairs.  I think you will find the separate bedroom a big ++.

I “started out” with the ATS and I loved every one.  Being on 17 is a big advantage but there’s nothing wrong with the ATS !....especially the ones on deck 8.

The only negative I can think of with the ATS......is noise from the shows will interrupt a sleep cycle that starts at 7pm

With the loft suite....you can

1. Ask for a cot so they can sleep upstairs so you could relax downstairs till you want to go to sleep

2. Use suit cases to block stairs if there is concern

7 hours ago, dodgestang said:

The only negative I can think of with the ATS......is noise from the shows will interrupt a sleep cycle that starts at 7pm

With the loft suite....you can

1. Ask for a cot so they can sleep upstairs so you could relax downstairs till you want to go to sleep

2. Use suit cases to block stairs if there is concern

Good point. I hadn’t thought about the noise from the  outside.  How noisy is the Star loft suite in comparison do you think? We have 1720 booked, which is the one overlooking the aft of the ship. It sounded pretty noisy from videos.  If given a choice we’d probably have gone with 1718, but alas no such luck. 

I didn’t realize until after I booked that 1718 and 1720 have a connecting door.  Has anyone had any trouble with noise transferring through that?

I’m sure he’ll try to jump down the stairs but equally worried that with the ATS it will be harder to keep my eyes on him at all times while he’s out on the balcony  ?  He’s a wild one for sure. 

We’re in a crown loft facing the rear of the ship right now on Oasis, getting off this morning.  Ours is 1738 which connects to the Star Loft next door.  When the Aquatheater Show is going on it is VERY LOUD in the room. The one night this cruise that we were in the room while it was going on, you could hear the music BLASTING from 830 to 930pm and again from 1045pm to 1145pm.  We didn’t care overall because we’re not usually in our room at this time of night and were only in it that night because our 8yo wasn’t feeling well.  But if you have a child who goes to bed at 7pm, I could see BOTH the Star Loft and the ATS being way too loud for him to sleep anytime the Aquatheater show is going on.