Clearing customs in Port Canaveral

dodgestang

We are sailing in April.

Port Canaveral is our first US port after CocoCay so we will have to clear customs.

How long does that process generally take?  We had to do it once before on Anthem in Boston, but that was done on ship.

Reason I ask is I am weighing pros/cons of car rental and driving to St Augustine (2 hours away) for a family visit.

We are supposed to be there 6-6pm.....but I am already thinking it makes much more sense to think of it more like 9-4 to account for customs and making sure we have no issues getting back on time and for the first couple waves of people to go away for the day ;).  Which then nets us out about 2.5 hours of visit......and if the boat is late....it just shrinks from there.

Basically I'm talking myself out of the hassle ?

@dodgestang, Unless your family would be so kind as to drive to the Orlando area I would not consider doing that drive. We have so much traffic here, just one construction site, one fender bender you chance missing the ship. I literally was stressed just thinking about it. Our roads are even more congested as the snow birds are here, please don't even consider driving north and back, the stress would be palatable. Maybe they would consider meeting you. Just my very humble opinion. Safe travels whatever you decide.

Its a breeze in PC.....took us about 10 mins to leave our room to curbside...its facial recognition stuff so no wait at all...we did self disembark....so not sure if it would be the same for your situation..

that being said...driving 2 hrs each way would be taking a chance....could be done for sure but as mentioned above...maybe better to meet them in PC to enjoy the day stress free

16 hours ago, Neesa said:

@dodgestang, Unless your family would be so kind as to drive to the Orlando area I would not consider doing that drive. We have so much traffic here, just one construction site, one fender bender you chance missing the ship. I literally was stressed just thinking about it. Our roads are even more congested as the snow birds are here, please don't even consider driving north and back, the stress would be palatable. Maybe they would consider meeting you. Just my very humble opinion. Safe travels whatever you decide.

I agree with @Neesa. My sister in law lives in Orlando and traffic is the number one reason we can't see her if we're down there for cruising. Definitely would not make that drive, and with the expenses of gas and a rental, it may be more worthwhile to meet them in the middle or they come to you if they wish. 

Safe cruising!