To Porter or Not to Porter....

Mrs. Thomas

Ok guys, my trip is a few months off, but I want to figure out what kind of cash I need. I have heard many things about the porters. Do I really need to use them? Can we take our luggage on ourselves and save about $30? I don't want to risk getting a person who is having a bad day and they "misplace" my bags.

35 minutes ago, Mrs. Thomas said:

Can we take our luggage on ourselves and save about $30?

$30?! I pay $1-2 per bag. So unless you are travelling with the Brady Bunch, you should be paying $5-$10 on embarkation day and then again on disembarkation day.

I'm telling you, best money I spend!

Not very light packers so we usually have a large roller and a folding garment suitcase and sometimes a mid size roller that I leave the the porters, we always have a small carry on and electronics/camera backpack that stays with us.  Boarding the ship I hand them off to the porters and give them $1-2 per bag; once I used a porter help me thru customs and out to the rental car shuttle so I gave him $20.  As Matt said that $20 was the best money I've spent. 

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 4:26 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

May I refer you back to your original thread on this exact topic? 

I know, but wasn't sure if anyone would see if I added a different part to the question. I saw so many people talking about how porters "lose" their luggage because of not being tipped or tipped properly. I don't need this happening to us considering I will be having my kids with me.

On 2/12/2020 at 3:03 PM, Matt said:

I recommend using the porters for two reasons:

1. They cost just a few dollars and make things SO much easier on you

2. In many ports, they get a shorter line. I cant tell you how much time they've saved me over the years.

item #2 was especially true for us in San Juan.  I have no idea how much time it saved us but the lines were long.