Upcoming Trip / Coronavirus

koontm

hello - i have an upcoming (march 9) 6 night cruise from ft. lauderdale (to grand cayman, and mexico).   will be with wife and 4 kids between 4-8 yrs old.  we have never gone on a cruise before.   all of the coronavirus stuff is making me re-think the trip.  anyone have thoughts?  no idea if i'm being too paranoid and if i should create a plan-B.  leaning towards just going given the safety measures in place, and the statistics seem favorable.  at same time, do not want to be quarantined with 4 kids.  appreciate anyone's thoughts.

There are quite a few threads that mention this scenario. I would say its really up to you, I have a duality about me. I am a hypochondriac; washing my hands at least 41x and refusing to touch people since I was a teen. However, I am about that 'you only live once, time is finite lifestyle." No one on a RCC has tested positive for CoronaVirus, so there is absolutely no reason to feel paranoid or uncomfortable...but that's my perspective.

1 hour ago, koontm said:

the statistics seem favorable

Understatement of the century. We're looking at about 45,000 cases worldwide...That is .00058% of the world population. Now, the vast majority of those are in China, and an even more vast majority of those are in East and Southeast Asia - maybe like 98%, I believe. So only 2% of the .00058% of the world's people (a) have Coronavirus and (b) are outside of E/SE Asia. These are rough numbers, and it's always changing, but just goes to show how ridiculously small of an issue this currently is outside of that region. Now, picture even just one of those people being the random few thousand people on that ship at the same time as you. 

The mathematician and engineer in me cannot even remotely calculate how small the odds of that are.