Cruising During Hurricane Season

SC2020

I know that cruising in mid-August is prime hurricane season in the Caribbean. What has anyone's experience been with cruising during this time of year? I live in the southern US so I am very familiar with hurricanes. Since they are very unpredictable, is it worth sailing that time of year? 

8 minutes ago, SC2020 said:

I know that cruising in mid-August is prime hurricane season in the Caribbean. What has anyone's experience been with cruising during this time of year? I live in the southern US so I am very familiar with hurricanes. Since they are very unpredictable, is it worth sailing that time of year? 

I believe it is worth sailing, although we have chosen September over August due to cheaper fares.  Just be sure you have good trip insurance.  You could encounter bad weather at any time of year.  When I think of ports we have missed due to weather, none involved hurricanes---just random wind or choppy seas.  Have a great cruise!  The only almost-a-disaster we had was a trip to Europe when United Airlines workers decided to "slow down" and delay traffic because of labor concerns...Weather wasn't a factor.

Given their unpredictability as you know, be flexible.  Given you live in the SE, you could probably change your travel plans easier than someone coming from Seattle to Florida.  There are a lot of blogs from when Dorian (not the time period you are asking about but not long after) changed itineraries for people (just search Dorian on this site).  Those would be good ones to review to see what you could experience should a hurricane be heading to your embarkation port.