Any Recommendations for first time Labadee?

RCIDreamer96

Hi all, newby to this blog here and have a few questions...Hubby and I are sailing to Perfect Day and Labadee the second week of May. This will be our second cruise with RCI and our second time at Perfect Day. We've never been to Labadee and don't plan on purchasing any excursions at this port either- we're really just looking to relax on the beach all day and get in some down time after a crazy year. Any recommendations on beaches/areas/food? 

We've also never been on Indy, but I've heard it's great. With two cruising days we're not really sure what to do or see. Any recommendations there to fill up the time?

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Presley said:

Hi all, newby to this blog here and have a few questions...Hubby and I are sailing to Perfect Day and Labadee the second week of May. This will be our second cruise with RCI and our second time at Perfect Day. We've never been to Labadee and don't plan on purchasing any excursions at this port either- we're really just looking to relax on the beach all day and get in some down time after a crazy year. Any recommendations on beaches/areas/food? 

We've also never been on Indy, but I've heard it's great. With two cruising days we're not really sure what to do or see. Any recommendations there to fill up the time?

Thanks in advance!

FOLLOWING......

Hey I'm that cruise with you!! First time at Labadee for us too! We are going to Amiga Island for this sailing and getting a cabana for November. That could change- but it's what we have scheduled for now.

We booked this as a total R&R trip.

This doesn't at all answer your question (sorry) but surely someone will ? Happy sailing!

3 hours ago, RCIDreamer96 said:

Thanks in advance!

We like the cove with the swimming area -- you can even snorkel off the beach, but there's not much.  We enjoy shopping in the fixed price store.  The road between beaches is full of vendors who love to barter, if you like that.  Mostly, we just look at their hand-made items.

Going off that ...

We (2 adults) have been going a lot of research for different cruises over the last few months to sail (and keep going back and forth on what to do lol), and are now looking into a 5 night on the Independence OTS in July. It sounds like it's the same itinerary as this one — Labadee and CoCo Cay.  Anyway, we want a lazy beach day at CoCo Cay for sure, but might want to do something more adventurous at Labadee. Any recommendations?  Nothing is set in stone, but we are just wanting to get an idea of what to do, as I didn't think Royal Caribbean's website was very good. 

My mini review.  ? 

We went there for the first time last month.  All we reserved was a Beach Lounger for Two.  We originally paid $45.99 but found it at $34.99 around Black Friday.  I'm glad we reserved the lounger....there were plenty of lounge chairs available first come, first served, but we liked not having to chase the shade.  We felt comfortable leaving our belongings in the lounger while we went exploring

We really enjoyed Labadee, although we are kind of boring people and are content sitting on the beach and occasionally going in the water.  

The beach immediately in front of the loungers was not the best for swimming....not overly protected and there was a lot of surf that day.  We would walk over the the right (as we faced the water) and that area was well protected.  Great place to hang out in the water.

We don't drink, so I can't say anything about the service, but the guy who took us to our lounger told us to let him know if we wanted anything at any time.  I spoke my rusty Quebecois to him, and he really appreciated it.  

We ate the complementary lunch, and it was good...Windjammer quality stuff.  I ate more there than I usually do at the Windjammer.  There was plenty of room to sit under the canopies, and the lines moved very quickly.  One thing I realized right off was that everyone lined up at the first place to get plates/silverware, but there were at least two more places to get them and start in on the buffet.

Both my wife and I are in agreement that an itinerary with Labadee will be a priority for us in the future.  I will do the zip line next time.  It looked awesome. ? 

7 hours ago, SC2020 said:

Going off that ...

We (2 adults) have been going a lot of research for different cruises over the last few months to sail (and keep going back and forth on what to do lol), and are now looking into a 5 night on the Independence OTS in July. It sounds like it's the same itinerary as this one — Labadee and CoCo Cay.  Anyway, we want a lazy beach day at CoCo Cay for sure, but might want to do something more adventurous at Labadee. Any recommendations?  Nothing is set in stone, but we are just wanting to get an idea of what to do, as I didn't think Royal Caribbean's website was very good. 

Honestly I would do the reverse and have the lazy day at Labadee because there is less to do there.  I would pick the activities at Coco Cay for the day.

On 2/12/2020 at 2:56 PM, JimnKathy said:

First time visit for us coming up in September. Is it worth the $98 bucks to rent the covered beach lounger for two or would you Labadee vets suggest forgoing that option?

I think it is. My husband and I rented one for our stop in Labadee last August and it was just what we needed.

31 minutes ago, twangster said:

At Labadee Barefoot Beach is dedicated to Suites and Pinnacles.  That's full suites only, GS and above.

So that is the only reserved beach...all the others are open to anybody? Just 1st come gets the best chair locations?

We had a beach lounger last year and it was on adventure beach and we want to try a different beach. Heard barefoot was the best but since that is only for suites we will have to try to go elsewhere. I am not going to get a cabana.

50 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

So that is the only reserved beach...all the others are open to anybody? Just 1st come gets the best chair locations?

We had a beach lounger last year and it was on adventure beach and we want to try a different beach. Heard barefoot was the best but since that is only for suites we will have to try to go elsewhere. I am not going to get a cabana.

Nellie's is right next to Barefoot (next cove over) and Columbus Cove is the next one over in the same direction.  Both are open.  Arrive early and grab whatever lounger you want.  The beaches on this side are not rocky like the ones facing the Atlantic.    

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2020 at 8:04 PM, teddy said:

My mini review.  ? 

We went there for the first time last month.  All we reserved was a Beach Lounger for Two.  We originally paid $45.99 but found it at $34.99 around Black Friday.  I'm glad we reserved the lounger....there were plenty of lounge chairs available first come, first served, but we liked not having to chase the shade.  We felt comfortable leaving our belongings in the lounger while we went exploring

We really enjoyed Labadee, although we are kind of boring people and are content sitting on the beach and occasionally going in the water.  

The beach immediately in front of the loungers was not the best for swimming....not overly protected and there was a lot of surf that day.  We would walk over the the right (as we faced the water) and that area was well protected.  Great place to hang out in the water.

We don't drink, so I can't say anything about the service, but the guy who took us to our lounger told us to let him know if we wanted anything at any time.  I spoke my rusty Quebecois to him, and he really appreciated it.  

We ate the complementary lunch, and it was good...Windjammer quality stuff.  I ate more there than I usually do at the Windjammer.  There was plenty of room to sit under the canopies, and the lines moved very quickly.  One thing I realized right off was that everyone lined up at the first place to get plates/silverware, but there were at least two more places to get them and start in on the buffet.

Both my wife and I are in agreement that an itinerary with Labadee will be a priority for us in the future.  I will do the zip line next time.  It looked awesome. ? 

We have booked a Labadee beach lounger for two on our Feb 2022 sailing for what I believe is a steal at $27.99.

It is listed as being available from 10.30am (we are scheduled to arrive in Labadee at 10am) with the note "Please enjoy at your leisure between start and end times." However there is no end time listed and it is showing in my cruise planner calendar for the period 10.30am - 11am, and given that there is a more expensive "Full-Day Beach Bed Rental" at $156.99 I am wondering whether the option that I have selected will only allow us usage for 30 mins.

Has anybody got wind of any post pandemic changes to the rules around this item that may support/refute my concern?

I'm headed to Labadee as a first timer over the Xmas 2021. I have a must do geocache, (there is only 1 in the private island). My kids are interested in doing the "roller coaster". They are 6 & 8 so they have to ride with a parent. So 4 Tix at 25ish a pop. After those two things I'm not hot on much else.

SIDE NOTE: My sailing is not in the window for that 35% sale currently on. When should I expect the next sale to be? How good will Black Friday be for drinks?

On 2/20/2020 at 12:17 PM, Psycho and Barb said:

We try to be the first off the ship and hurry to Nellie's Beach...Its our favorite spot.  Close to a restroom and a bar...Our two requirements.  It does get full so get there early.

I like your style! That’s our checklist too! Restroom and bar! Lol Available shade is nice too. That’s the Trifecta of Labadee