A drink package question

jeffd99

So I am thinking that I will buy one of the premium drink packages for myself because quite frankly I will use it.  I'm a 3-4 glass of wine at dinner or after dinner so that makes it pretty well worth it just for that. Throw in a frozen drink at the pool some days and a few bottles of water and it seems like a no brainer.  My wife isn't as big a drinker and thus will just pay for her one glass of red wine with dinner and a frozen drink at the pool once or twice during the sailing.  My question is more related to the soda.  We only have one soda drinker in the family and it's my youngest.  If I get the "souvenier cup" with my drink package and have no intention of using it, can she use it? I know officially the answer is probably "no" but using the freestyle machines, am I the one who has to fill the soda cup up every time?  Seems silly for us to buy a second package just for a soda a day for her - and I'd rather just pay that out of pocket. But if I have the cup and I"m not using it at all, it also seems silly not to let her use it for a few sodas during the week.  

Officially - no absolutely not.

Unofficially - if you are on a ship with freestyle machines the machine only knows if the cup is valid, not who is holding it so anyone can walk up to the machine with your cup and get a soda, if you are on a ship without freestyle machines you have to ask a bartender to put soda in the cup and the bartender is more likely to wonder if the person holding the cup is allowed to put free soda in the cup ;)

if you are on a ship without freestyle machines you have to ask a bartender to put soda in the cup and the bartender is more likely to wonder if the person holding the cup is allowed to put free soda in the cup ;)

On Vision last week people had to show their cards with the Package sticker on it in order to have the bartender fill the pop cup.  ("It's POP people, not soda!", said the mid-Westerner.)

On Vision last week people had to show their cards with the Package sticker on it in order to have the bartender fill the pop cup. ("It's POP people, not soda!", said the mid-Westerner.)

This would only work on a ship with freestyle machines.

The cruise lines nickle and dime passengers to death. I have to agree that I feel it isn't ethical to fill your cup and give it to your child. Having said that if she is only going to drink one a day, I would close my eyes and ignore that you are doing it. Getting on to another subject, if you know of CiCi's pizza, I watch people pay for one drink at the register, get a cup for free water for the other three people in their group and go fill those with soda. That is stealing, out and out stealing. Sorry had to rant!

Pop, soda, cola, fizzy lifting drinks... The amount of drink discussion never fails to amaze. I guess that is why Coke is in the Dow 30.

Just on the pop side the amount of profit per sailing must be astounding, pennies to the cruise line for hard costs. Can an energy drink package be far off?

I was on the Allure in January 2016, and saw many kids (aged 6 to 16) running around with a souvenir cup and filling it in a freestyle machine every now and then. 

Obviusly the cup did not belong to them !

So what the heck ! Go for it my friend, and welcome to Royal Caribbean Blog. 

I also had the premium package and enjoyed every minute of it, ohhh the freedom it gives you....

Wish you have a great cruise !!

LOL Jeff.  We are sailing Freedom, my wife and I are both buying the premium package.  I will get my money out of it, I doubt my wife will.  Our 9 and 7 year old's will be using our souvenir cups for soda, we are not buying additional packages for them.  The cost of that fountain soda per glass is pennies, and we limit our kids intake of soda anyways, so it's not like they will be running to the machine all day.  You should do the same, and not feel the least bit guilty about it.   

LOL Jeff.  We are sailing Freedom, my wife and I are both buying the premium package.  I will get my money out of it, I doubt my wife will.  Our 9 and 7 year old's will be using our souvenir cups for soda, we are not buying additional packages for them.  The cost of that fountain soda per glass is pennies, and we limit our kids intake of soda anyways, so it's not like they will be running to the machine all day.  You should do the same, and not feel the least bit guilty about it.   

I was on the Allure in January 2016, and saw many kids (aged 6 to 16) running around with a souvenir cup and filling it in a freestyle machine every now and then. 

Obviusly the cup did not belong to them !

So what the heck ! Go for it my friend, and welcome to Royal Caribbean Blog. 

I also had the premium package and enjoyed every minute of it, ohhh the freedom it gives you....

Wish you have a great cruise !!

I know, right? Glad to hear others share the same horrible values that I apparently do. :)