Credit and Debit Cards

Nathan1260

Sailing from the UK therefore the currency here is Pound Sterling rather than dollars. 

I understand that a payment method needs to be attached to the seapass card. However will a foreign transaction fee apply to each transaction made on board or only for the final charge on the last day of the cruise as I understand all transactions are billed at the same time at the end of the cruise. 

How much are the fees people have experienced paying from GBP to USD on a RCI cruise if you are willing to share. 

Can visa debit cards be attached to the seapass account or just credit cards? Also can you assign a different card to everyone's sea pass card or does each stateroom need to have the same payment method assigned. 

Another newbie question!! Many thanks! 

I can't answer all your questions because I've only ever used a card that had zero foreign transaction fees and would recommend you do the same (I can't imagine why that these wouldn't be available on your side of the ocean).

It is generally recommended to use a credit card not a debit card for your seapass account.  Credit cards are just plain safer and offer more protections for the consumer than a debit card.  Yes each person's seapass card can be setup to charge a different card.  This will take slightly longer during checkin (either online in advance or at the port before boarding).

Yes there will only be one "real" charge at the end of the cruise.  However, you should be aware that each day's charges will be added up and a hold will be put on your card each day for that amount.  This can create issues because the holds don't always come off immediately.  They will disappear in 0-3 (or more) days depending on the terms of your account.  This means your account will temporarily seem as though it has been double charged and yes, if you used a debit card, your bank could also think you are overdrawing your account and charge fees.  This is not Royal's fault and there is nothing they can do about it but if you search you'll find plenty of upset people who don't understand.  Personally, I think this alone is a reason not to use debit cards.

I'm a UK national and always use a zero foreign  transaction fee card the "Halifax Verity"card is my go to card when abroad it also allows for no charge cash from cash machines but interest is charged for cash from the day you withdraw it.

Therefore I have 2 cards one for foreign cash withdrawals and one for charging.

I pay off the cash withdrawal within 24 hrs via online banking to avoid interest charges.

Also never take the exchange rate offered by cash machines or customer services but let card company use theirs its always a better rate.