Pre Paid Credit Cards (Seapass)

Gregg S

When charges are made on a credit card through Royal, the company generally places an additional percentage amount as a hold. I tried to use a pre-paid card for payment for one cruise and I did not have enough "buffer" so it was rejected. Had enough on another card and it was accepted. If  you are using one for purchase of shore excursions, etc. and it is for full payment AND you have enough buffer money on the card Royal will take it. For an open ended use like use on your Seapass card, they will not. Ended up using them on groceries at home, the only place that did not add the additional hold.

13 minutes ago, CrznTxn said:

When charges are made on a credit card through Royal, the company generally places an additional percentage amount as a hold. I tried to use a pre-paid card for payment for one cruise and I did not have enough "buffer" so it was rejected. Had enough on another card and it was accepted. If  you are using one for purchase of shore excursions, etc. and it is for full payment AND you have enough buffer money on the card Royal will take it. For an open ended use like use on your Seapass card, they will not. Ended up using them on groceries at home, the only place that did not add the additional hold.

I was just typing this out ... I think it's about 20%. I used a Visa Gift card to pay a portion of a cruise, subtracted 20% from balance and it worked perfectly.

It's not Royal per se, just how the cards work with travel related (and other) items. You can call the number on the back of the card and ask, the right person will know the number and share.

Edited by sk8erguy1978
add stuff.

I have used them in the past with Royal...for both booking and purchasing....as stated above..there is usually a 15-20% buffer added on...so as long as the card has that room you're ok.

The only issue of course is that you don't know how much of a "hold" they put on it when you check in......if there was away to confirm that amount you may have a smoother experience.