Harmony & early teens

TotalF

So we're sailing on Harmony on the 23rd. Two adults and our daughters, age 11 and 13. They are generally speaking two cool, level headed kids who'd rather observe from the background than take center stage. 

Me and the wife was discussing the other day just how much slack we should cut them onboard. Is it "safe" to let them explore on their own? Would you yourself let your kids wander around on their own and explore the ship/activities? 

Me, I'm a natural born Worrier and my wife is a lot more live and let live ?

@TotalF, My daughter is an only child and at 13 this past November we let her go and do her own thing. She met great kids the first night and they were together the entire sailing. We were clear with our communication and curfews, she knew just one hiccup & she would not have so much freedom. There are cameras EVERYWHERE, the crew was so friendly and we (my husband & I ) are both "older"parents working in LE. (so we are very aware of some serious ugliness) We felt very comfortable with allowing her to be on her own, as we are really comfortable with her instincts and decision making skills. We felt it was safe to allow her to explore on her own. We sailed Thanksgiving week 2019. 

Great family vibe we felt on board..

Having been through a daughter of my own then a daughter and son through my fiance... Letting them go is the best thing ever. That new found sense of responsibility has played well with all three. With the fiance's kids at 15 and 17 now, its pretty much do dinner as a family  then don't wake us up when you get back in the wee hours... Never been disappointed in any of them on board...

We were on Symphony this past March and Navigator this past August.  Our kids were 13 and 9 back in March.

Symphony was the first cruise we started giving them a bit of freedom.  They don't like the kids club, but we would let them go on their own 1-1.5 hrs or so.  They stuck together.  We limited the time only because we don't have data on the ship, so it was a way to say "meet us back at the stateroom".  One night as well, our DS13 had no interest in seeing the Broadway show so we did let him wander on his own and we met him back afterwards.  Our kids know not to go with anyone and to ask a crew member if lost (but they had no issues). 

I'm a worrier too but it gave them freedom and they enjoyed the responsibility. 

@TotalF, in the cruise compass there was a youth/teen meet up the first night, I believe with counselors helping to break the ice. We let her go to that instead of the show, and after that she was all over the place with the little group they formed. We had a non negotiable rule, never enter a cabin but your own. She had a blast and still talks to the group on the X box thing. I forgot to mention our sailing was on the Harmony.

1 hour ago, Neesa said:

@TotalF, in the cruise compass there was a youth/teen meet up the first night, I believe with counselors helping to break the ice. We let her go to that instead of the show, and after that she was all over the place with the little group they formed. We had a non negotiable rule, never enter a cabin but your own. She had a blast and still talks to the group on the X box thing. I forgot to mention our sailing was on the Harmony.

I shiould have mentioned in my statement that the one hard rule is no other cabins... And a second for the boy, don't play with the machinery around the lifeboats...