Western ports

Kingk92

Hey folks,

The wife and I did the Harmony in August and are set to do it again in May. This time we are going to Western ports of Roatan, Honduras Cozumel, Mexico, and Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico. I am looking for anyone that has done an excursion to any of these. If there are any to do or any to avoid? or if theres a port that is good just to go to the beach. Thanks!

57 minutes ago, Kingk92 said:

Hey folks,

The wife and I did the Harmony in August and are set to do it again in May. This time we are going to Western ports of Roatan, Honduras Cozumel, Mexico, and Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico. I am looking for anyone that has done an excursion to any of these. If there are any to do or any to avoid? or if theres a port that is good just to go to the beach. Thanks!

We went to Isla De Pasion aka Passion Island in Cozumel. The beach was beautiful! 

Just came back from some of those ports.

Cant recommend the royal catamaran snorkelling excursion in Cozumel enough. $80pp including food and drink for the duration.

In costa maya, take a taxi to Blue Kay beach, stunning beach although you might want to take some food and drink with you from the port as they don’t have much to offer at the beach.

We've done the Western Caribbean many times and it is one of our favorites. For Cozumel we do Playa Mia "All inclusive" as we enjoy the beaches and it has a nice fresh water pool as well as the ocean. Keep checking the Cruise Planner for discounted prices on the excursion. If you want to shop, take a taxi to the downtown area (the shopping host has free transportation if you want) and you can shop to your hearts desire.  For Costa Maya we have found the beaches can be crowded but we usually go to YaYa Beach which is at the end of the beach strip and restricts the number of guests. We like it as they have padded "couples" loungers each under a separate grass hut. We get this excursion directly from YaYa off the interweb. That way we can reserve the seat we like.There are boats parked in the water there but we get the lounges to the far left for a better view. For Roatan we always go to Tabyana Beach. The beach is great and the reef is about 30 yards off shore. It is fantastic snorkeling and the staff keep the vendors away from the sitting area for peace and quiet. It includes food but no drinks, but they are very reasonable. This is through the Cruise Planner.

22 hours ago, Kingk92 said:

Hey folks,

I would avoid the raft trip at Lake Bacalar (Costa Maya) as it is very "tame".  I enjoyed Chacchoben much more.   At Roatan, we liked Maya Key (for snorkeling, lunch, and general relaxation).  At Cozumel, if you can tolerate the ferry ride to the mainland, I recommend the Amazing Secret River near Playa del Carmen.  You walk/swim through a cave system.  Not for someone with a bad back.  It is memorable, however.

In Cozumel which we've been to many, many times we looked for something new so hubby and I did the cooking class at Playa Mia through Royal.  So worth every penny and so fun.  Cooking and drinking then free time and free drinks at the beach club.

Roatan was on my bucket list for the sloths and we went with Daniel Johnson to his sanctuary.  It was again worth every penny but we booked this direct so we could get there before the sloths went for their nap.

Costa Maya we rented a golf club and drove around.  Stopped for a drink in town that was just okay but we probably hit the wrong beach club.  I had a great hour long massage on the beach for $20.

It really depends on what you like and what you want.  I do recommend that if you want a beach club in Costa Maya that you prebook it and get good instructions on how to get there.  They all try to get you to go to their beach club.