Hours.. minutes.. etc (Beverage package)

VegasFella

Hello all.  Although I'm still a ways off from booking my first cruise... I (continue) to enjoy these

message boards & you very kind folks.  Here is a quick question regarding the beverage packages...

This is assuming the following parameters:

---> Sail out of Miami, and return to Miami

---> 7-night cruise to the Caribbean

---> Aboard an OASIS "class" ship

Let's assume it is the DELUXE DRINK PACKAGE.  The one that is $63 - $70 per day.  And, please

let me know if my question is too wordy (or sounds strange, lol). 

From what I read, a cruise out of this port will leave at 2:00pm usually.

From what I read, disembarkation must be done by 10:am usually.

OKAY, so a cruise such as "this" will be EIGHT chargeable days for the drink package.  Correct?

Or, am I way off?  I ask this, please, to get your feedback... if it is "so", then there are (basically)

limited hours that you're physically aboard the ship to do the booze drinking on Day 1 and Day 8.

..... Also, can a person buy the drink package for less than eight days.  I'm guessing no, but just

wondering.     THANK YOU!    Matthew in LV/NV.

The number of nights is how they count the length of the cruise for all purposes.  Yes, it spreads across 8 days, but as you point out, you will not be on board for all (or even most) of days 1 & 8.  Your cruise is seven 24- hour periods (minus a few hours depending on how early you board and how late you get off).

So anything that is charged per day will be charged 7 times on your cruise.  (Dining package, Drink package, daily gratuities).

You can buy a drink package for fewer days but you have to buy it for the rest of the cruise once you start.  So you could buy on day 3 to save 2 days of cost.  However make sure you look at the math.  If you buy in advance, it will be at a discount (typically 20-30% off depending on the current sale) but once you are on the cruise, it will be full price.  So it might cost the same or more to skip 2 days than to just buy it in advance!  You can also cancel and repurchase if there is ever a better sale on the drink package.

Also, they do stop selling the package at some point.  If you wait until day 5 or 6, you may not be able to purchase.

9 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

You can buy a drink package for fewer days but you have to buy it for the rest of the cruise once you start.  So you could buy on day 3 to save 2 days of cost. 

This may be a new feature, I have not seen this offer. I have seen the DBP being offered for the first 3 days where you pay for all 7, but it is retroactive ... "forgiving" your beverage and bar charges up to that point.  Depending on one's level of indulgence.. it could be a real money saver! ??

On 2/9/2020 at 6:19 PM, Ogilthorpe said:

This may be a new feature, I have not seen this offer. I have seen the DBP being offered for the first 3 days where you pay for all 7, but it is retroactive ... "forgiving" your beverage and bar charges up to that point.  Depending on one's level of indulgence.. it could be a real money saver! ??

In several years reading cruise forums about Royal, I've never seen anyone describe purchasing the DBP as retroactive.

26 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

In several years reading cruise forums about Royal, I've never seen anyone describe purchasing the DBP as retroactive.

My information may be outdated. 3 or 4 years ago, I read the signage at the DBP display onboard and that feature was part of their pitch. Admittedly, I have not paid attention to those since, so things may have changed. 

1 hour ago, Ogilthorpe said:

My information may be outdated. 3 or 4 years ago, I read the signage at the DBP display onboard and that feature was part of their pitch. Admittedly, I have not paid attention to those since, so things may have changed. 

I actually like the idea of offering it both retroactively (for those that realize they have already spent a lot on alcohol) and going forward (for those that want to save a little by not drinking much the first few days).  Now I'm curious to hear if they actually do that!

32 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

I actually like the idea of offering it both retroactively (for those that realize they have already spent a lot on alcohol) and going forward (for those that want to save a little by not drinking much the first few days).  Now I'm curious to hear if they actually do that!

I'm pretty sure that's not a thing now. 2018 cruise my friend bought the package day 3 of our 7 night (because her husband was realizing how much the drinks were adding up) and it was not reactive. I think it's "you snooze, you lose".

My information was from September 2015 on the Adventure. They had a table set up at the entrance to the windjammer with a pile of soda cups and representatives eager to sell. I dont recall seeing that sign since ... or maybe I just haven't returned to the windjammer since then ?

I thought it was more recent . Time flies like the wind  ( and fruit flies like a banana... ?)