Guaranteed rooms - 2 rooms together?

Jimbo47

Very random indeed, we booked 2 cabins, very happy what was allocated except for the fact they are on different deck {cruise April 30th cabins allocated within 12 hrs of booking}. Not sure about the random thing I have a feeling its a deliberate policy to allocate them on different decks to try and milk as much money out of people as possible. 

We had the opposite experience.  We booked two inside guarantees with our adult children.  We did not care whether or not they were close.  Our cabins were assigned at final payment and were side ny side.   We even got a slight upgrade: virtual balconies.  It was random but it did work for us.  

Once you are assigned a room, you can call and move your room to any other available room in the exact same category.  But this is a gamble as you don't know when you will get your assignment and what rooms are available.  And if you want connecting, even less likely one or two are available after your assignments.

If getting two rooms together is important, then I would book them straight out.  

4 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Once you are assigned a room, you can call and move your room to any other available room in the exact same category.  But this is a gamble as you don't know when you will get your assignment and what rooms are available.  And if you want connecting, even less likely one or two are available after your assignments.

If getting two rooms together is important, then I would book them straight out.  

I tried that and they refused to move them, "If you wanted them together you should of paid the premium" and I only asked to move one so they were at least on the same deck.

1st time with RC with this and the no repricing policy for UK customers I'm starting to wish we booked with another line.

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

I tried that and they refused to move them, "If you wanted them together you should of paid the premium" and I only asked to move one so they were at least on the same deck.

1st time with RC with this and the no repricing policy for UK customers I'm starting to wish we booked with another line.

I am by far no expert but have you tried calling a couple times (two or three times)? 

It seems like if you get the right rep they are more "accommodating". 

This is only our second cruise with RC but I've called enough times to learn that real fast.

All they can say is no but one of them might say yes if there is availability.

Agree. Try calling again.  For each room, you should be able to move it as long as same category.  We did this both times with a guarantee room. Giot assigned a forward room and moved each to more central (different cruises).

So you should be able to move each...and if there happens to be 2 next to each other, or even closer in proximity of same category room, they should be able move the rooms.  But of course, this depends on availability.

8 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Agree. Try calling again.  For each room, you should be able to move it as long as same category.  We did this both times with a guarantee room. Giot assigned a forward room and moved each to more central (different cruises).

So you should be able to move each...and if there happens to be 2 next to each other, or even closer in proximity of same category room, they should be able move the rooms.  But of course, this depends on availability.

It appears that UK customers have to use the UK call centre and the agents seem to be more policy minded, I've even emailed them but still no joy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 2:44 PM, [email protected] said:

Isn't the lack of UK passengers being able to reprice was a matter of law as opposed to policy? Just like in certain regions, the gratuities are part of the fare paid and cannot be separate. 

11 hours ago, RicDalek said:

Isn't the lack of UK passengers being able to reprice was a matter of law as opposed to policy? Just like in certain regions, the gratuities are part of the fare paid and cannot be separate. 

Hi, I'm not sure its law in the UK that stops them applying a reprice policy. I cant find any reference to any law that prevents repricing after a reservation is booked, in fact have done exactly that for hotel reservations in the UK previously. I think its more that US consumer law actually forces companies to apply an adjustment when requested buy the client.

I don't think they do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

PS. Something I've noticed though is that US prices{via a US VPN} are slightly higher than UK prices which is very unusual for most commodities. Perhaps this is how RC compensate for repricing in the US.

4 hours ago, [email protected] said:

PS. Something I've noticed though is that US prices{via a US VPN} are slightly higher than UK prices which is very unusual for most commodities. Perhaps this is how RC compensate for repricing in the US.

It's how RC compensates for a lot of differences between US and UK consumer protections.  In the future you can use a US travel agent and get the ability to reprice as long as you are willing to pay in USD.  You just have to understand the differences in the consumer protections and understand how they will apply to your situation if you do that.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

It's not just Royal Caribbean that operates in this manner in the UK, compared to the US.

No arguments here, I was not having a go at RC per-say, comments on the board said that it was consumer law in the UK that prevented it, so was just making the point that it seems that consumer law forces re-price in the US and it was RC {and probably others} policy not to apply it universally.

Its was just disappointing to realise this when I was watching out for a price drop and finding its application refused, It wont stop me enjoying my trip or stop me booking again.