CoronaVirus what's next ?

Traveler

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a million hand washes not mitigate the possible airborne droplets coming into contact with you? If I'm on the cruise, I can't really know when or if the person next to me is going to cough or sneeze etc.

Not trying to be impossibly paranoid though. 

3 minutes ago, Damyb said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a million hand washes not mitigate the possible airborne droplets coming into contact with you? If I'm on the cruise, I can't really know when or if the person next to me is going to cough or sneeze etc.

I have lived 46 years without being sneezed on, I think I can make it through  an 8 night cruise. I'm not intending to be a smartass. Just want you to know the chances of somebody sneezing/coughing on you are slim to none, and for that to be an infected person is even less. 

I think the media is PARTIALLY to blame for people's (including me) panic mode concerning this. We can't be laid back about it but at the same time we just have to be vigilant. I'm fine with the million wash hands ?

We'll see how my Mediterranean cruise goes in September. 

They may do Greece, Spain or France IF this continues to play out. Some people say the virus will die when hot weather hits, obviously this is a lie because Iran and Italy have warmer climates. I think when more transparency comes into play we will be able to get a handle on things. The hyperbolic media is definitely making things worse. I am young, just survived the flu so I ain't worried about no beer virus.Cat Reaction GIF by moodman

20 hours ago, Damyb said:

20 hours ago, Spang1974 said:

I have lived 46 years without being sneezed on, I think I can make it through  an 8 night cruise. I'm not intending to be a smartass. Just want you to know the chances of somebody sneezing/coughing on you are slim to none, and for that to be an infected person is even less. 

Bottom line to avoid getting the flu...wash your hands frequently and minimize touching your eyes, mouth and nose unless you just washed your hands and you'll be virtually assured of staying healthy (Coronavirus, norovirous, flu, cold, etc.) on a boat ride. Happy sailing! ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 10:48 PM, Spang1974 said:

I am not worried at all and I work in a UK hospital. I am more worried about slipping on ice or catching the flu.

Why would you be more worried about the flu which 

A) already has a vaccine

&

B) has a drug to help prevent the more serious symptoms (Tamiflu)

Rather than Covid-19 which has neither of those ? 

1 minute ago, Morganno said:

Why would you be more worried about the flu which 

A) already has a vaccine

&

Rather than Covid-19 which has neither of those ? 

I'm really not really worried about the Flu or Covid-19, I most likely will slip on ice sometime in the future. I do also have an irrational fear of flu after I was hospitalised with it once (I get the vaccine but not everyone has access to it). Same with Tamiflu not everyone can afford it. Also Murphy's Law pretty much follows me around. With my luck I will get infected with Covid-19, just not worrying over it. Definitely not gonna cause me to cancel booked and paid for holidays (1 of which is a cruise). Nothing based on science in my comment just opinion.

Hi everyone.  it is true.  Like any virus, once it's inside, antibiotics won't work.  They usually need to run their course.  Norovirus makes you think like you are going to die (lol), and once you get this GI flu, you are contagious for 4 days - post recovery!  This is why cruise lines do their best to control entry, and offer self quarantine for flu affected passengers.  The Corona virus family is 14 days contagious. 

BUT, this is usually up to the discretion of the passenger to say they are not feeling well, and to stay the hell in their room for days after they are feeling better.  As much as I love my fellow citizens, i think that if they are starting to feel better, but still contagious, they will be out mingling with the populous because they would rather infect others than do the right thing. 

Maybe the cruise line could help with this by offering a full refund to affected passengers to keep the rest of us, their reputation, and the boats crew safe!  What do you think? 

People who are young and healthy shouldn't worry unnecessarily about it -just be vigilant. 

On the other hand, there are some of us (me and my husband included) who are in the "senior" age group and although we may be very healthy for our age group and generally travel with no problems, for whom this particular virus can have dire consequences . My husband has damaged lungs which cause absolutely no problem in our day to day life, but Covid-19 attacks the lungs. Some people get pneumonia and pass away; some have to be on a ventilator.  We have no way of knowing if someone on the ship will get on with the virus, even unknowingly, and spread it in an enclosed environment. We can't take the chance.

Therefore we will be canceling our cruise departing April 12. We have pined over it and have spent hours already trying to unravel travel arrangements with the least affect on our pocketbooks. Yes, we have travel insurance, but no insurance allows you to collect because you MIGHT get the virus. So we will be eating a percentage of this trip.

This has not been an easy decision and it is disheartening to read the condescending remarks of some on this blog- we are not over reacting. We are making an informed decision. Some sensitivity to people in our position  would be appreciated.

52 minutes ago, Morganno said:

A) already has a vaccine

&

loaded question. People I know who've gotten the flu shot and the flu, due to a different strain or whatever else would disagree. Tamiflu only works if you get it in time...and you still have the flu.

19 minutes ago, Mljstr said:

This has not been an easy decision and it is disheartening to read the condescending remarks of some on this blog- we are not over reacting. We are making an informed decision. Some sensitivity to people in our position  would be appreciated.

Your decision makes sense. The offending comments (from what I've read and posted myself) are not meant for people in your situation.

The media has accelerated things, but I read today that a number of Caribbean islands have refused cruise ships docking if anyone on board has flu like symtoms, regardless if it is the Corona virus family.  My friends are telling me to cancel, that my health is better served not taking unnecessary chances.  If we all HAD to go we should go.  But if you are feeling anxious about the trip then cancel.  My thought is:  do I want to lose the money?  I am a tight ass and don't want to forfeit the costs.  But at some point I would agree that cancelling regardless of the costs would make sense if there was a greater chance of getting infected.  Why put yourself out there to prove a point?  I am a professional scuba diver.  My lungs mean a lot to me and I am 64 years old.  Should i be taking a chance on a virus that could ruin my future sport diving?  Something to think about.  N

..And a big thank you for everyone who is sensitive to us old guys/gals that have to think about our health first and pockets second.  My wife was in intensive care in an Orlando hospital.  It cost $140 US$ for a day and a half.  Getting sick out of country is not cheap.  Don't travel without CONFIRMED insurance.

42 minutes ago, Mljstr said:

Sorry to hear you had to cancel.

Yes, there are a lot of people here who are very standoffish towards those who had anything serious or worrying to say about this.

Those ppl are still happy that Royal stock is falling so they can buy it cheaply and enjoy lower cruise prices while thousands are dying, death rate is way higher than the common flu, millions told to stay home from work, people separated from their families for weeks in quarantine and the economic impact is huge but don't dare say anything like that about it.

Nothing to fuss about it all apparently....:34_rolling_eyes:

We have final payment due next week on our next cruise. My MIL will be flying to where we live to watch our kids while we are gone. We're not so much worried about us, but we're worried with her and her travel arrangements as she is in her 70's and has underlying respiratory issues. Does MIL drive to us instead of fly? That's a long drive for her by herself. She wanted to come here because the kid's toys/video games/etc. are all here, but do we take the kids to her instead? It's just a 4 day cruise; if we went to her, it would be as much driving as cruising. Do we cancel and lose our deposit because of what might happen to her? It's just $200. Do we go ahead and make final payment and eat the cost of the cruise if we decide we need to cancel later?

If things stayed as they are right now for the next 11 weeks when our cruise sails, we wouldn't be asking ourselves these questions, and we would be confident that we would be sailing. The problem is that bacteria and viruses spread exponentially - if 2 have it today, 4 have it tomorrow, those 4 spread it to 4 more so were up to 8, then 16, 32, 64...over a billion by the end of the month - obviously this is over simplified for easy math and not from real data, contagion rates, etc. The point is our trip is in 11 weeks; we are looking back at what the situation was like 11 weeks ago and pondering what it might be 11 weeks from now. Think about it - 11 weeks ago was before Christmas. The first report from Wuhan didn't happen until December 31. Now it's a pandemic. Unfortunately there are so many unknowns that it's not really a cut and dry decision to make. We're honestly on the fence, and probably need to make a final call in the next couple days.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yikes !  Is there a possibility that you or your husband could fly over and drive back with her ?  I completely understand your concern for her and appreciate your selfless attitude. I hope it all works out.

Maybe, we're going to try to figure out all our options and make a decision this weekend. I told Michelle I'd be calling her on Monday...it will either be with my CC number or to request cancellation. Guess I should look up the Lava Flow and Habenero Grapefruit Daiquiri recipes just in case I will be making them at home. ?