GTY Room Assignment "Data"

This is still a very small sample set, but it continues to tell a consistent story (see the three inflection points).  We just got assigned our room number (14 days from sailing).  I can also verify the the "Apple Wallet" hack worked.  We knew over 40 days ago what our GTY Balcony was.

As always, if you have data, just reply and I will add to the spreadsheet.

Curt from Canada

image.png.bf17da2a3fcbdc7eeb56d59148327649.png

I have only done the "Apple Hack" once.  You need to have your Sea Pass (preliminary) that does not show a room number (I think it shows either "REPRINT" or "GTY").  There is an option to transfer the Seas Pass to Apple Wallet.  Take that option and underneath the bar code in Apple Wallet the last 5 digits could be the room that they had tentatively placed you in.

I have seen others explain that due to Royal Up, other upgrades, and new reservations they must reserve a spot, but have the option to move you (probably if they can make more money).

I have only done the GTY option once, but is was definitely much cheaper (in my case), kinda' fun to track the "progress" and a little scary that we would end up somewhere far from where we wanted to be.

We will continue to decide cruise by cruise if we GTY or choose our room.

Curt from Canada

3 hours ago, Curt From Canada said:

I have only done the "Apple Hack" once.  You need to have your Sea Pass (preliminary) that does not show a room number (I think it shows either "REPRINT" or "GTY").  There is an option to transfer the Seas Pass to Apple Wallet.  Take that option and underneath the bar code in Apple Wallet the last 5 digits could be the room that they had tentatively placed you in.

I have seen others explain that due to Royal Up, other upgrades, and new reservations they must reserve a spot, but have the option to move you (probably if they can make more money).

I have only done the GTY option once, but is was definitely much cheaper (in my case), kinda' fun to track the "progress" and a little scary that we would end up somewhere far from where we wanted to be.

We will continue to decide cruise by cruise if we GTY or choose our room.

Curt from Canada

Interesting. Assuming the same would be true with Google Pay. We enjoy picking out our room but curious enough to follow along.

On 2/8/2020 at 12:19 PM, foxrunner said:

When booking our latest cruise it was cheaper to pick your own room than go the GTY route. Have you folks ever seen it priced that way? Why?

I've seen it too. Most recently on my upcoming September cruise. With all promos applied (except C&A status - Diamond) the "You pick your room" is slightly higher ($762 vs $755). I do everything the same again except plug in C&A number and it's now cheaper ($655 vs $680). This is for a balcony, starting price.

I've attached a screenshot, two different browsers: Chromium on left with C&A plugged in & Chrome on right without C&A.

received_2173872442715495.png

10 minutes ago, foxrunner said:

We are lowly Golds (reference to Red Rising by Pierce Brown a space dystopia) so I don't think that impacts our pricing. Just one of Royals quirks.

We all started at Gold! You'll get there! Even with our Balcony discount the math doesn't add up to be cheaper, but it is ... Agreed "Royal's quirks."

I wanted to comment for all of the non-iPhone users. If you get your SetSail pass but don't have your room assignment, GooglePay may not prompt you to add it. You can still see the number underlying the barcode by using a barcode scanner app. I took a screenshot of mine, then used an app to read the barcode from the image. 

We're 84 days out and don't have our official assignment, but we have a room from the barcode. That room does not appear to be available to book on RCCL or through our travel agent, so I am assuming that it is indeed reserved for us. I'll be sure to report back when we get our official assignment!

12 hours ago, pacew said:

Wondering if there’s a time of day that assignments are usually made or if it’s random? We are 18 days out and I’d live to just check once a day. ??? Hoping to be in that 10-19 window. 

Currently, the trend "says" 96% of people get their assignment 10 days or more from sail date.  Your assignment will be soon.

?

Use the "Apple Hack" detailed in this thread to determine where your stateroom probably will be.

Curt from Canada

10 minutes ago, Curt From Canada said:

Currently, the trend "says" 96% of people get their assignment 10 days or more from sail date.  Your assignment will be soon.

?

Use the "Apple Hack" detailed in this thread to determine where your stateroom probably will be.

Curt from Canada

Thanks for the encouragement! I’ve been watching you add numbers and have been hopeful. I am using the hack but there is just nothing so far.  Thanks for doing the chart!

On 2/8/2020 at 2:19 PM, Curt From Canada said:

This is still a very small sample set, but it continues to tell a consistent story (see the three inflection points).  We just got assigned our room number (14 days from sailing).  I can also verify the the "Apple Wallet" hack worked.  We knew over 40 days ago what our GTY Balcony was.

As always, if you have data, just reply and I will add to the spreadsheet.

Curt from Canada

image.png.bf17da2a3fcbdc7eeb56d59148327649.png

Suggest you look at Radiance sailings 2/9 and 2/25/02 . Large no of GTY and majority not assigned 7 days prior to sailing

Adventure b2b last month, both legs GTY.  First assignment made 2 days after booking (but I booked only 3 weeks before sailing).  Second leg I wasn't notified until 3 days before, when already aboard on leg 1.  However my cabin attendant found out the day before my formal notice, as they had the data already on their lists.  He looked in order to know where I was moving to so he could coordinate with the other cabin attendant.

18 hours ago, PRC said:

Adventure b2b last month, both legs GTY.  First assignment made 2 days after booking (but I booked only 3 weeks before sailing).  Second leg I wasn't notified until 3 days before, when already aboard on leg 1.  However my cabin attendant found out the day before my formal notice, as they had the data already on their lists.  He looked in order to know where I was moving to so he could coordinate with the other cabin attendant.

PRS ... Thank you, I have added this data.  The 3 days before is rare ... just under 3 weeks is very normal.  

All ... As you get GTY assignments let me know and I will add to the database.

Thanks,

Curt from Canada

11 days and still no assignments. However, I did get another Royal Up offer this morning. We are suite gty. I think that makes a difference sometimes as everyone in our sailing group that was gty has had their assignment since about the 30 day mark. I’ll report again once we have assignment.

On 2/8/2020 at 12:19 PM, foxrunner said:

When booking our latest cruise it was cheaper to pick your own room than go the GTY route. Have you folks ever seen it priced that way? Why?

i just noticed that myself while shopping for late 11/2020-2021 cruises on Independence, Oasis and Odyssey?  No idea why.  I will say that when I booked Independence for this 08/22/2020 cruise my balcony suite was cheaper than the oceanview,  and when I called to have a hold placed it mystified the agent.  I'm glad I booked it because the price just went down again on my suite so i saved another $223.00.  I will accept any RCCL glitch I can find!  

We’re still waiting on our official notification for our April Harmony cruise, but the Apple Wallet hack did reveal a stateroom number. Crazy thing is it’s literally the cabin next to the one we stayed in last August. I assume it’s just a coincidence as I imagine it’s computers making these assignments?

Thanks for sharing the hack, it’s nice to know where we might end up!

42 minutes ago, Biff215 said:

We’re still waiting on our official notification for our April Harmony cruise, but the Apple Wallet hack did reveal a stateroom number. Crazy thing is it’s literally the cabin next to the one we stayed in last August. I assume it’s just a coincidence as I imagine it’s computers making these assignments?

Thanks for sharing the hack, it’s nice to know where we might end up!

If I had to guess on the way assignments are assigned, I would say it is a combination of:

• Harry Potter on a Colorado "high"
  • Keith Richards on any day that ends in "y" (I know "children" from the 60s and 70s got that one)
  • I was going to say Timothy Leary, but man that is one wack-job ... Let's go for Spaceman Bill Lee (before, during and after any basebal game).

?

Curt from Canada

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to mention that the barcode scan worked for me as well. I just booked a suite guarantee on Monday for a cruise a month from now. I did the check-in on Tuesday morning, and at night I noticed that my SetSail Pass showed me in Sea class and a muster station and a barcode without numbers. Later it showed deck 10, but still no cabin number I found my barcode scanner app, and when I scanned the SSP it came up with a number followed by -10232, which is a Junior Suite and obviously what I was given. I had been hoping for a Grand Suite, since several are available, but I'm sure that they have people bidding for those.

I don't understand why they hide the actual cabin number from people, especially for long periods of time, as reported by others here.

Update -- I had my cabin number show up two weeks prior to the cruise. After they tried to get me to bid on an upgrade, of course.