Birthdays on a Cruise

If you tell your wait staff, they will put a candle in the dessert and sing happy birthday.  You can also have a cake delivered to your table by purchasing it at guest services (always double check with your waiter that they have it before your dinner).  Once again they will put a candle in it and sing.  

I would bring decorations as the ones that you can buy on the ship are overpriced.  I purchased a magnetic door personalized decoration on Etsy and put it on my son's door on his birthday.  If your MIL is up for it, you could buy her a personalized birthday shirt and have her wear it that day.  https://www.etsy.com/listing/611691301/cruise-shirts-ah-ship-its-my-birthday?ref=pla_similar_listing_top-3&frs=1

We were dining at Giovannis on the night we were celebrating my mom’s birthday (it was a week before her actual birthday, but I wanted to celebrate her on the vacation so I went with the one week before). I swung by the Giovanni’s hostess station a couple of days before to mention to them that we had a reservation and wanted to celebrate a birthday but wanted it to be a surprise. I tried to get them to have carrot cake which is my mom’s favorite cake. They said they weren’t sure if they could make that happen, but they would try their best. It turns out it wasn’t available, but our waitress wanted my mom to have something special so got her personal favorite dessert on the ship and brought over the passion fruit cake from 150 Central Park with a candle.  It was really sweet of them to bring something over from a whole other specialty restaurant. They really will try to go out of their way to make things special for you if you give them advance notice. 

At the beginning  of the cruise  I mentioned my daughters  birthday to the head waiter. He told me to make sure to come to the MDR on that day. After dinner they brought  some dessert  over with a candle on it, and him and others  sang happy  birthday  to her. I also mentioned  it to my cabin attendant and when  we got back to the room  from one of our excursions, he had the front door  and  the room  decorated  with balloons and other things.

• 2 weeks later...

I celebrated my 50th birthday on freedom OTS back in May 2019.   We advised RCI of such during our booking .   nothing really happened..  oh well. still thought, it was my 1st cruise and I loved it.

On my next birthday cruise, I will buy a package and have the room decorated before I arrive... lol

Edited by Rene Desmarais

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 6:03 PM, melski94 said:

If you tell your wait staff, they will put a candle in the dessert and sing happy birthday.  You can also have a cake delivered to your table by purchasing it at guest services (always double check with your waiter that they have it before your dinner).  Once again they will put a candle in it and sing.  

I would bring decorations as the ones that you can buy on the ship are overpriced.  I purchased a magnetic door personalized decoration on Etsy and put it on my son's door on his birthday.  If your MIL is up for it, you could buy her a personalized birthday shirt and have her wear it that day.  https://www.etsy.com/listing/611691301/cruise-shirts-ah-ship-its-my-birthday?ref=pla_similar_listing_top-3&frs=1

I LOVE the shirt idea!! I have a friend who can do things like that too. Thank you so much! I do think we will take some decorations. We will be in St. Maarten that day so I may get her something special while we are there.