Empress of the Seas Post renovation?

I know there's lots of folks waiting with baited breath for the Empress to move out of dry dock and back onto the schedule, but as a first time cruiser with the Empress as our first experience I am hoping someone can answer a few questions:

1. Did they install (or did they have before) a movie screen at the pool for evening movie nights by the pool?

2. Do they show movies anywhere on the ship in case of rainy days at sea? We sail July18-23 and have two full sea days, and I am getting nervous that my older teens won't have enough to do. What do people do on a small ship like the Empress if it's raining or otherwise bad weather? I think I did see that they had ping pong and pool tables, will this still be the case? Obviously, the kids won't be drinking or gambling, ha ha. 

3. I think I saw some place that the Cafe Lattetudes (sp?) has been removed, but is there another coffee shop that will be put in it's place? What is the difference between Cafe Lattetudes vs. a regular coffee shop?

4. Post renovation, what dining/lounge/hangout options will there be? I thought Windjammer Cafe and the Main Dining room were the same thing, but it seems like they are two separate places. Where options do you have for meals and snacks throughout the day?

5. I know they were supposed to install VOOM, but are there any public places where they will have internet access for free?  If I bring a internet pack from my cell phone provider, will that work, or is it strictly VOOM package or nothing?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to figure out what we will be doing and if I may need to downplay expectations, I guess. 

Citymom

Washington DC 

I have read other places that they did install an outdoor movie screen...but I highly suspect that this will be the only place (besides your stateroom) where you can see a movie.  Some of the smaller ships still have a small theater (screening room) but unfortunately those are being systematically removed.  Too bad, really.  I loved going to see a movie during the day on sea days.

As far as bad weather is concerned, this is a problem on ANY ship.  The indoor activities are a small-ish subset of the overall entertainment and activities on board a ship.  This is probably more true on Empress than on some of the other larger ships.  Since I have never been on the Empress before, I really have no way of knowing what kind of activities they have for teens.  My initial impression is that it is going to be limited...especially in comparison to the bigger ships.

If they have removed Café Latitudes then they will replace it with something similar - I'm guessing.

The Windjammer is the buffet and the Main Dining Room is a full service, sit down venue with a rotating menu....meaning that it changes every day.  There are always some standard dishes that can be ordered any night but the theme of the meal changes daily.

Unless they have changed their minds, VOOM will not be free to anyone, anywhere, anytime. Originally they were going to offer VOOM free on Majesty but they reneged on that promise.

Thank you so much for this good info Waaaytooo. As a first time cruiser, I am getting very cold feet having read about all the broken promises, cancelled trips, limited reimbursements, etc., that Royal Caribbean has done to all their loyal customers. We were hoping that RC could be solution to family vacations for the future, not to mention getaways with my hubs, but they are not winning points with me. Hopefully, our cruise with RC will be okay, but I'm pretty nervous about it now, honestly. We cruise the Empress July 18th.  :o

I understand your trepidation. It hasn't been the best year for RCI from a reliability standpoint.

HOWEVER....as a rule, they are extremely reliable. They've just had some bad management decisions (IMO) due to a very volatile environment...lots of changes in a very short time period.

You will be fine. July is plenty of time away. They will have solved whatever problems they are now dealing with.

I have NEVER had a bad cruise. I have had some that were better than others but never one that I wish I hadn't taken. You'll see...

;) ;)

WAAAYTOOO unfortunately I have had a bad cruise. Like you some better than others. My review for the cruise took up almost one page on cruisecritic.com and I listed the good stuff too! I don't do a review to gripe and make me feel better, I want to be truthful to help anyone looking for advice. But you learn from each cruise you go on, don't you?

I am going on the Empress on June 2nd.  I am nervous like you, but have NEVER had a bad experience with Royal Caribbean.  I am not really nervous, but anxious to see all the new refurbishments.  I can let you know after I return how the experience was and answer whatever you would like to know. 

I too am booked on the June 2nd sailing. I'm not at all confident that we will go. Three cabins, two daughters and two daughters boyfriends. We cannot rebook another time as one of the boyfriends is going in the Air Force. I'm hoping that another month will give them the time they need to solve the problems and get the ship ready to go. Unfortunately I have absolutely no confidence that they will either get everything done or if not, let us know far enough in advance that we can make other arrangements. 5 weeks is a lot of time, but it really depends on the scope of the work and Royal Caribbean has not been forthcoming with information.

I too am booked on the June 2nd sailing. I'm not at all confident that we will go. Three cabins, two daughters and two daughters boyfriends. We cannot rebook another time as one of the boyfriends is going in the Air Force. I'm hoping that another month will give them the time they need to solve the problems and get the ship ready to go. Unfortunately I have absolutely no confidence that they will either get everything done or if not, let us know far enough in advance that we can make other arrangements. 5 weeks is a lot of time, but it really depends on the scope of the work and Royal Caribbean has not been forthcoming with information.

If you haven't already, invest in travel insurance.

YES - buy insurance just in case from an alternate company like www.allianztravelinsurance.com
At least this will possibly protect the airfare portion if the cruise part cancels.

And remember if RCI cancels, ask about alternate ships or look for alternate ships

sailing out of the same port - that way you can still fly there and have a vacation.

I live locally and will be driving to the port, so I don't have the exposure that many others have with airfare and hotels. Still, I cannot go any other time. We have to travel during the window of this cruise or we don't all go. It's that simple. I'm not sure how insurance will help me in this case. What really concerns me more than anything else is that so far Royal has waited until the last possible moment to cancel. The cruise before us leaves on May 28th, so if they give that sailing 5 days notice, we only get 10 days notice. It might be possible for me to get something else booked, but it will be expensive with an itinerary that goes back to Nassau. One of the reasons we picked this sailing was to avoid Nassau. I'm all ears if someone has another suggestion.

I use or should I say my TA uses TravelGuard and Allianz (probably not spelled right) and I asked her and once final payment is made they will not insurance the cruise or air. I always put the cruise lines insurance on my reservation and then right before final payment I get my TravelGuard policy and cancel the cruise lines.

• 2 months later...