Anthem & Potential Coronavirus

41 minutes ago, ellcee said:

As of 7:55am 4 passengers from Anthem are being brought to the hospital for testing - according my local news - I'm in the tri-state area. That's not awful considering I originally heard the count was higher.

That's very good news ..... The question I would have is, what about everyone else?  Since the incubation period is the reported 2 weeks, and the desire to stop the spread, it makes me wonder if any measures are being taken in regards to everyone else on board.......

Love how the article states the virus has "spread across America and Europe", then goes on to say there are about a dozen confirmed cases here in the US.

Journalists, stop sensationalizing this!! It has spread to America and Europe, yes, but it has not spread across America and Europe. When we are informed of tens of thousands of infected individuals from coast to coast, fine; then you can say it has spread across America.

Cripes, what the hell has happened to proper editorial review?? Putting everyone in a panic over this, just to draw in eyeballs on the link and get a few more ad dollars, does no one any good whatsoever.

1 minute ago, JLMoran said:

Love how the article states the virus has "spread across America and Europe", then goes on to say there are about a dozen confirmed cases here in the US.

Journalists, stop sensationalizing this!! It has spread to America and Europe, yes, but it has not spread across America and Europe. When we are informed of tens of thousands of infected individuals from coast to coast, fine; then you can say it has spread across America.

Cripes, what the hell has happened to proper editorial review?? Putting everyone in a panic over this, just to draw in eyeballs on the link and get a few more ad dollars, does no one any good whatsoever.

So true, it's all about ratings, page clicks, "Likes" ----- a prime example as to why I don't watch The Weather Channel .... When they got bought by NBC, you could see the focus on Worst Case Scenarios in order to increase viewership.

The bottom line is, it's all about the revenue.

3 minutes ago, bobroo said:

I suspect this is political bullying by one certain person. 

Question from a naive midwesterner, if you are hate'n on New York; that means you are hate'n on New Jersey too? 

Hatin' on New York isn't hatin' on New Jersey - they hate on each other more than others hate on either of them.

7 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Hatin' on New York isn't hatin' on New Jersey - they hate on each other more than others hate on either of them.

PHEW! 'Cause I can tell the difference between someone who lives in New Jersey and someone who lives in Manhattan. 

I'll just chalk it up that the certain person is terrible at USA geography.

10 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I’m on a flight right now heading to Bayonne !  Yikes !

According the the 'current' news reports..."There are folks on the ship that have a history of travel to China and so CDC and local health officials are going to board the ship when it docks to do an assessment in port for coronavirus."

Have not seen any report of anyone on the ship being diagnosed with the virus.

https://abc7ny.com/health/coronavirus-concern-ship-with-12-quarantined-passengers-arrives-in-nj/5910246/

"BAYONNE, New Jersey (WABC) -- Officials provided an update after a Royal Caribbean cruise ship with a number of passengers who were quarantined due to concern over possible coronavirus infection docked in Bayonne, New Jersey Friday morning.

Eyewitness News is told four people who were aboard the Anthem of the Seas are now being evaluated for possible infection at University Hospital in Newark, NJ.

The CDC says two of those had traveled to China recently and are displaying respiratory symptoms. The other two are members of the same family who aren't ill but are being evaluated as a precaution.

Another 23 passengers who initially showed some concerning symptoms have been cleared and are on their way."

25 minutes ago, Gears said:

According the the 'current' news reports..."There are folks on the ship that have a history of travel to China and so CDC and local health officials are going to board the ship when it docks to do an assessment in port for coronavirus."

Have not seen any report of anyone on the ship being diagnosed with the virus.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7977547/Sick-passengers-board-New-Jersey-bound-cruise-ship-tested-coronavirus.html

Well things certainly are getting interesting.....give it another week of the media whipping up hysteria and we will be marching all asian looking people into compounds like WW!!. The cruise ship 'sounds' like they handled it right....one or two in the party appeared to get sick so they quarantined all of them without alarming the passengers, kept it quiet and let everything and everyone do their jobs. I don't say that to be mean or callous, it is a new bug with a 2% mortality rate. Higher that we have seen in many bugs in some time.....but it isn't the black death or the plague which had 40-50% mortality rates. Plus I'm not going to be on the anthem again till Dec so this mess should be cleaned up by then ?

There are reports, they're seemingly getting a grip or wrapped their heads around the situation; and, are coming up with some type of vaccine, that may help alleviate the ability of the virus to spread or something. BBC says WHO is trying to verify the claim. Hopefully, it may be over a lot sooner than not. They know the particulars of the virus; so, that should help combat it.

Yes.  All suspected of possibly having the virus have been preliminarily cleared. Apparently one person tested positive for influenza. 

Even though the ship has been cleared, RC decided to wait until they get a positive test results back from the CDC and so we will not board until tomorrow, Feb 8.  There will be some partial refunds for cruise fare and prepaid packages.  Everything seems to be fine except for the late start.  

8 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Dan got an email but I got nothing. Still, we knew before we got to the port.  We are staying overnight in a Newark Courtyard and will go over tomorrow assuming everything is cleared.

Probably safe, and this is all erring on the side of caution. Hope y'all have a great day in Sunny, Friendly Newark, New Jersey!  Have a great cruise and enjoy that OBC! 

Just now, SteveinSC said:

Probably safe, and this is all erring on the side of caution. Hope y'all have a great day in Sunny, Friendly Newark, New Jersey!  Have a great cruise and enjoy that OBC! 

Thanks, Steve.  Unfortunately, it is cold, rainy and gloomy here.  It was a a ROUGH ride from DC...but we made it.

Our itin was originally DCA-CLT-EWR but yesterday AA contacted us and advised significant weather delays for CLT and allowed us to make changes without a fee. I opted for a non-stop into JFK and BOY am I glad I did !  I’m not sure whether or not that original flight ever left CLT.  It’s a pricey Uber ride from JFK ($160.00) but I’d rather pay a little more and get here than get stuck in CLT and frankly, I think that is what would have happened. 

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Thanks, Steve.  Unfortunately, it is cold, rainy and gloomy here.  It was a a ROUGH ride from DC...but we made it.

Our itin was originally DCA-CLT-EWR but yesterday AA contacted us and advised significant weather delays for CLT and allowed us to make changes without a fee. I opted for a non-stop into JFK and BOY am I glad I did !  I’m not sure whether or not that original flight ever left CLT.  It’s a pricey Uber ride from JFK ($160.00) but I’d rather pay a little more and get here than get stuck in CLT and frankly, I think that is what would have happened. 

DC to Newark....Acela first class.....unless someone jumps on the track I've never had an issue on the train ?

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes.  I booked a Courtyard in Newark. Site unseen. On the fly. In the Uber. Livin’ dangerous.  ??

Hahaha, my only non-negotiable hotel rules are white bedding and doors on the inside of the building - I think all Courtyards pass this rigorous test!