Do you take your passport or just a copy of with you on excursions?

Mikeb1892

I take copies and my drivers license.  If you do not back it back to the ship, my understanding is that they will remove your passports from the room safe and leave them with the port agent.  There are some potential negative consequences to losing your passport while ashore.  

I actually take pictures of my whole families passports on my phone and email a copy to someone who is not going on the cruise in case my phone is lost or stolen.

35 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

I actually take pictures of my whole families passports on my phone and email a copy to someone who is not going on the cruise in case my phone is lost or stolen.

Same. This also helps when I do online checkin for flights, as it saves a bit of time and hassle in opening up everyone's passports.

If I screw up and miss the ship, I don't want to rely on others or an embassy/consulate for documentation I need to get me home. I always have my passport book in my possession while in a foreign country, no exceptions. I have a passport card, but it is no good for air travel if I need it.

From the Royal Caribbean website .....We strongly suggest that you take a photocopy of your passport in addition to your passport itself with you on holiday and carry the photocopy with you each time you depart the ship in order to minimize any inconvenience this may cause...though I think I will carry   my passport on me when in Northern Europe next year

We've done both. I do make copies regardless. Some at home with family, some in my little "travel packet" which has various documents needed (travel insurance, set sail pass, excursion stuff, etc).

As mentioned, I have a passport wallet too, which holds some credit cards, drivers license, US cash and/or a local currency if required so it's not a big deal to carry it off the ship.

5 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Not sure what good a picture of your passport would be if you are left at a port.  I also would be hesitant to rely on someone to get my passport from my safe and leave it with the port agent.  Passport is with me whenever I leave the ship.  Might be overcautious but it's what I do.

Yeah, I'm always rather baffled at what good a photo or a copy would be.  But people like to do it.

I know this poor horse has been beaten to death, back to life and death again, but my two cents is that I carry it.  Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.  I also carry a travel safe to lock them up and secure our valuables if we are on a beach excursion so we can let our hair down and relax and get in the water together.  It gets secured to something that cant move nearby and we enjoy our time.  

15 hours ago, Mikeb1892 said:

Wondering what would be best. 

You've heard just about everything from other members, but I have to say it depends upon the excursion.  If you are going swimming, etc., it's hard to safeguard your real passport.  A driver's license can get wet, but not your passport.  If you are just shopping for jewelry, that's another story.  So think about what you will be doing and the sort of purse/bag you'll have.  Some excursion sites have lockers, but some lockers aren't trustworthy.  Have a great cruise....

It’s a personal choice I however will never be in a foreign country without my documentation on me I’ve had to personal experiences that have made me feel this way. One becoming extremely ill and having to be moving from one country to another for attention and another being in an area where a protest/riot broke out and we were unable to get back to our hotel if my passport wasn’t on me I wouldn’t been able to get to safety.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Always take it with me off the ship, except CocoCay or Labadee. No point there.

Photocopies are useless. It's like photocopies of cash...you can wave it around all you want, but no one is taking it.

I have totally changed my thinking on this question lately.  If you were on an excursion, say a snorkeling trip, would you put it in a water proof container/pouch and swim with it?