Re pricing

Cat mom

I noticed today a much larger onboard credit  ( similar price ) being offered on my sailing.   My question is, my category is sold out, has anyone had experience with a sold out category being repriced if the rest of the cabins are at a lower price ( I took note of all category pricing when I bought so I could do a comparison ) or have a larger onboard credit that when you booked?

As long as you are not yet past final payment you can have your room repriced....even if your category is sold out.  This is where a travel agent is invaluable, but if you booked on your own, just call Royal and ask them to evaluate whether you can save money or not.  It’s possible that the current price for your category will be high enough that even with a higher OBC, it would not make $$ sense to reprice.  You won’t know unless you ask.

Another tip is to ignore the sales and just call regularly (weekly) and ask Royal to reprice. If you have a good TA you don't need to do this as it is part of the service. The fine print on these sales is often pages long and it it is almost always faster to call and ask. I also have found that not all sales are announced. Another tip don't forget to ask to reprice Cruise Planner items as well.The Royal rep wouldn't prompt you to do so. I've repriced for as little as $5 and as much as $1,000.

Question on this: I booked with a TA and found out this week they don't offer re-pricing as a service. I misunderstood when I asked them about it with our first booking. I've made my brand new booking with MEI who does perform this service but for the several month old booking with the non repricing TA: will RC allow me to reprice thru RC since my TA doesn't offer that service or am I just out of luck?

I got what I feel like is a fair enough price in my inexperienced opinion and don't want to be greedy- but if there's a normal work around for this scenario I would be happy to hear it.

If not, lesson learned and I have switched agents to MEI

Edited by PRebecca
I cancelled and rebooked with MEI, not transferred to MEI. Corrected this detail

16 minutes ago, PRebecca said:

If not, lesson learned and I have switched agents to MEI

I had my reservation transferred to MEI, even after the "cutoff" date, MEI made it happen. I have already been repriced twice, without me asking, my agent just emailed me with the good news, saving me about $700 so far. Still have 4 months to go before final payment, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more repricing.

5 minutes ago, FManke said:

I had my reservation transferred to MEI, even after the "cutoff" date, MEI made it happen. I have already been repriced twice, without me asking, my agent just emailed me with the good news, saving me about $700 so far. Still have 4 months to go before final payment, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more repricing.

That's awesome service! My hiccup is that I already booked my November 2020 sailing with the TA who doesn't reprice ? So I am stuck with that TA for that booking, but am hoping for some workaround for repricing. My first thought was if I see the cabin category I'm in is now less than I paid I could tell the TA that and see if he would push the magic buttons on my pricing since I did the research to find out it was cheaper- but my cabin category (JS) is sold out so I don't know how to tell.

I did note the price of the GS had gone down, but am afraid to ask about mine since he already told me he doesn't provide that service because he has hundreds of bookings and no time ?

Oh well, I got the OTW Labadee cabana for $250 less than it's currently priced (Did not know those prices fluctuated like Cococay does), and a great price on the drink packages and other excursions so now it just feels a little greedy on my part.

**Letting it go now** ?

28 minutes ago, PRebecca said:

That's awesome service! My hiccup is that I already booked my November 2020 sailing with the TA who doesn't reprice ? So I am stuck with that TA for that booking, but am hoping for some workaround for repricing. My first thought was if I see the cabin category I'm in is now less than I paid I could tell the TA that and see if he would push the magic buttons on my pricing since I did the research to find out it was cheaper- but my cabin category (JS) is sold out so I don't know how to tell.

I did note the price of the GS had gone down, but am afraid to ask about mine since he already told me he doesn't provide that service because he has hundreds of bookings and no time ?

Oh well, I got the OTW Labadee cabana for $250 less than it's currently priced (Did not know those prices fluctuated like Cococay does), and a great price on the drink packages and other excursions so now it just feels a little greedy on my part.

**Letting it go now** ?

It IS possible to have your booking transferred from the non-repricing TA to MEI but I will advise that it is not easy.  Basically, the non-repricing TA has to release the booking and they are usually not inclined to do that, willingly.  It is worth a try though...and it may send a [much-needed...MO] message to the non-repricing TA that the service you are getting from them is not adequate.  Bravo to you for going with MEI.  You will not be sorry.  Sometimes the lessons we have to learn on our own are painful.  

I considered pushing that very issue but quite frankly don't have the... let's say 'gumption'... to do that. On the other hand, if I was able to find the email where I thought I asked if he provided that service and thought he said 'of course', I would take those steps but even with all my email filing that one is no where to be found. Hence my attitude that I must have misunderstood at some point and am accountable for having a non repricing TA.

All in all a lesson learned ? Your input is always appreciated!

5 minutes ago, foxrunner said:

Calling to reprice usually takes less that a few minutes. It is kind of like a scratch ticket, short anticipation and sometimes a payout!?

Thank you! I wasn't sure it was allowed if it was booked thru a TA but it's for sure worth a shot!

21 minutes ago, GA Cruiser said:

If I reprice a cruise, do I lose pre-cruise deals like discounted beverage package?

It is dependent on whether it was a part of the promotion you had at booking. If your original booking included On board credit and that is not part of the new promo, it would not persist. For example, if you had a $200 obc as a part of the sale, and the new promo was a lower price but no OBC, that credit would be gone, but your price would be lower.  NextCruise OBC and C&A discounts will remain after repricing. If repricing be sure to explore other discounts that aren't always available for certain sailings: resident, senior. Etc

5 hours ago, [email protected] said:

It appears that RC don't allow repricing here in the UK, I find it astonishing that there is a different policy for non-US customers.

It has to do with the differences in law. I'm sure Royal would rather have just one policy. Maybe then their customer service reps could keep it all straight! ? But they have to accommodate the various quirks in all the countries.

7 hours ago, KristiZ said:

It has to do with the differences in law. I'm sure Royal would rather have just one policy. Maybe then their customer service reps could keep it all straight! ? But they have to accommodate the various quirks in all the countries.

Yea, there must be a consumer regulation that forces RC to accept repricing in the US but the not in the UK. I cant blame them trying to make as much money as possible but its still annoying.

The agent for my November 2020 Cruise said he does do repricing (I found the email where he said that) but as a guest I have to ask him to do it when I see that my price has gone down. Since my cabin category is sold out I could not tell but all the categories around it went down so I told him with that information could you please check. He said since it's sold out he can't see if it's a lower price or not. This whole situation has me so frustrated, as that's one of the reasons I booked early.

My November 2021 and may 2024 both booked with Mei so lesson learned, I'm just frustrated.

For those of you getting price drops that's awesome! 

8 minutes ago, PRebecca said:

The agent for my November 2020 Cruise said he does do repricing....

My November 2021 and may 2024 both booked with Mei so lesson learned, I'm just frustrated.

I have no experience with travel agents, but I wonder if it would warrant a call to RCI directly to see if they can adjust the price for you.

25 minutes ago, PRebecca said:

The agent for my November 2020 Cruise said he does do repricing (I found the email where he said that) but as a guest I have to ask him to do it when I see that my price has gone down. Since my cabin category is sold out I could not tell but all the categories around it went down so I told him with that information could you please check. He said since it's sold out he can't see if it's a lower price or not. This whole situation has me so frustrated, as that's one of the reasons I booked early.

For those of you getting price drops that's awesome! 

My pre-MEI travel agent was a turd about repricing, too.  I actually had a price drop and called her, but she said that I wasn't "eligible" for price readjustments (read: I've never heard of this and have NO idea how to do it). Such great service considering they charged me a $100 booking fee.

5 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

My pre-MEI travel agent was a turd about repricing, too.  I actually had a price drop and called her, but she said that I wasn't "eligible" for price readjustments (read: I've never heard of this and have NO idea how to do it). Such great service considering they charged me a $100 booking fee.

A travel agent / friend I used in the past (I am now using MEI not because of other agent, just wanted someone dedicated, so trying them out) tried to re-price and stated per Royal Caribbean, the re-price wasn't lucrative because I am bound by the port fees when booking, which brings the price higher.

I've been meaning to run this by my MEI agent. Thought I saw the price a few dollars less this weekend with cheaper port fees... However, I had an ADD moment and never went back to it LOL.

Edited by sk8erguy1978
Add / fix / typos everywhere

1 hour ago, PRebecca said:

as a guest I have to ask him to do it when I see that my price has gone down.

As much as I love and appreciate my MEI agent, I do not expect her to monitor my cruise prices to see if they go down. When Royal introduces a new sale, she will check but other than that, it is really my responsibility to check prices. When I find what I think might be a reduction or if I have a question, she will check it out for me but I realize that it would be impossible for her to constantly check prices for all of my cruises. In all of these years and nearly 50 cruises, my MEI agent has never found a price reduction for me; conversely, I have found lots of them.

He said since it's sold out he can't see if it's a lower price or not.

He is either lying to you straight up or he’s just too lazy to check on this for you.  Agents CAN determine if your category (even if it is sold out) has had a price reduction but it takes calls (sometimes multiple) and determination. Good thing you’re moving on from this one.

the agent has to be the one to do it. I'm just trying to get it right for next time. I think I have book it myself in the future and that's ok. 

This is true.  It’s one of the few downsides to using an Agent.  If you get a bad one, you’re stuck unless you transfer the booking to a different Agent, and that is not an easy thing to do.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:43 AM, FManke said:

Just an update. Danette, my MEI agent just emailed me with another price drop. Total to date from Sept is $1398! This was all done without asking. She found the savings and let me know about it before I could even check. I only have about a $250 balance left, but have until July for my final payment. I'm putting it off in hopes of another price drop.

3 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Am I missing a good sale or something? lol

While there is always a sale, a bump in the instant savings promo appeared today (up to 450 off) and other promotions (resident, senior, etc) were added to additional salings this week.  For example, our october trip on the Allure decreased 2109 earlier this week (Star Class), the new sale saved an additional  127 today.  I know... royal math ??

Just now, SpeedNoodles said:

I emailed my MEI TA - I've never been right, even when I've thought I saw a price drop in mine, and I'm sure she's absolutely sick of me, but hopefully I can make it up to her someday, lol.

Join the club. I am a constant source of irritation for Michelle.  I’m sure she secretly hates me.

On 2/13/2020 at 12:33 PM, sk8erguy1978 said:

A travel agent / friend I used in the past (I am now using MEI not because of other agent, just wanted someone dedicated, so trying them out) tried to re-price and stated per Royal Caribbean, the re-price wasn't lucrative because I am bound by the port fees when booking, which brings the price higher.

I've been meaning to run this by my MEI agent. Thought I saw the price a few dollars less this weekend with cheaper port fees... However, I had an ADD moment and never went back to it LOL.

So, my MEI agent repriced the cruise with two different port fees no issue. The agent never heard of this ... BUT, my port fees didn't change resulting in even less than online. I wonder if my port fees from that cruise were so high, that it brought the sale price higher than my price. Assuming port fees stay during a reprice. 

Oh, and I didn't ask, I just received an email saying changes were made! ?

Edited by sk8erguy1978
cannot bold with * whoops & add line

For my upcoming cruise on Grandeur in May, I've saved $150 through my travel agent; once, when I thought I saw a better deal, though, she kept me at my current price because I would've lost my OBC. Because the price drop was within a dollar or two of my OBC amount, I deferred to her judgment! Final payment date just passed, so I'm not going to relentlessly watch prices -- I'm sure my agent will be thrilled, though she's been great!

For my future cruise needs,  I'm giving MEI a try after all the glowing reviews! I've booked one cruise through Sharla already this week, and there's likely to be another following.

Gone are the days of me making my own travel arrangements -- having a knowledgeable advocate sure helps!

Stephanie is our TA with MEI and she sends out constant emails on repricing and specials. I monitor them and contact her if there is a possible savings. I'm sure she was really tired of me last year where we changed one cruise about 4 times. However, she has been fantastic in getting us into nicer cabins and last minute cruises which show sold out on the RC website. The wife decided we needed to go sailing 35 days out this March in the middle of Spring Break and she was able to snag the last outside view (formerly known as ocean view) room for us.