Waiving Cancellation Fees

I doubt that RC will be waiving fees not associated with sailings directly affected by the Coronavirus. They are already not allowing people who live in, travel to/from most of China on the ships. They have taken, in their mind, the necessary precautions. So you not feeling comfortable in this situation would not be justifiable. They want to make money, if they allow people to cancel without penalty, who knows how many will use that as an excuse to cancel bookings.

1 hour ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

Do you have Cancellation Insurance?  Certain policies will cover those fees if there are travel advisories from your country to avoid non-essential travel.

I don't have cancellation insurance and I am based in Florida.  I am booked for the Oasis in May and the final payment is due on Monday (February 10th).  Right now, I don't want to sail or fly to the port.  We may be far away from China/Asia but I've heard (reliable) "whispers" from the medical community that there are patients who are suspected to have contracted the virus in facilities here.  Even if I don't get the virus, just one passenger on a flight or a cruise diagnosed to have it will mean being quarantined for at least 14 days. I don't want to risk that.

16 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I don't have cancellation insurance and I am based in Florida.  I am booked for the Oasis in May and the final payment is due on Monday (February 10th).  Right now, I don't want to sail or fly to the port.  We may be far away from China/Asia but I've heard (reliable) "whispers" from the medical community that there are patients who are suspected to have contracted the virus in facilities here.  Even if I don't get the virus, just one passenger on a flight or a cruise diagnosed to have it will mean being quarantined for at least 14 days. I don't want to risk that.

Do you have a refundable deposit ?  If so, there doesn’t seem to be anything keeping you from cancelling before final payment.  If you have a nonrefundable deposit, I guess you will have to decide if the $$ loss is worth your peace of mind.

13 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

How much is the cancellation fee? $100 pp and then some put towards FCC? Doesn't seem like too bad of a hit to take, really, if you are super concerned and don't want to go. (I could be totally miscalculating this  - I've only done it once).

You’re right, it’s $100. I could easily let go of it but if Royal waives it or at least let’s me apply it to a later sailing, I’d prefer that much more.

1 hour ago, Flacruiser99 said:

@PG Cruiser I  would not worry  your cruise is 90+ days in the future and no one knows what is going to happen.

But the final payment is due on Monday.

90 days is not that far out.  Look, we just celebrated the holidays now it’s February already.

There is no ending for this Coronavirus situation in sight.  It’s actually getting worse.

The sailing on the Oasis is on my bucket list.  I want to sail on all the namesakes of the ship classes.  Oasis this May,  Vision in November.  Freedom in 2021 and Radiance in 2021/22.  I don’t want to cancel my Oasis booking but this virus is messing up my plans.  ? 

16 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

But the final payment is due on Monday.

90 days is not that far out.  Look, we just celebrated the holidays now it’s February already.

There is no ending for this Coronavirus situation in sight.  It’s actually getting worse.

The sailing on the Oasis is on my bucket list.  I want to sail on all the namesakes of the ship classes.  Oasis this May,  Vision in November.  Freedom in 2021 and Radiance in 2021/22.  I don’t want to cancel my Oasis booking but this virus is messing up my plans.  ? 

To answer your original question at this point in time I do not  believe RCI will waive the $100 cancellation fee. I just paid my final payment on my Brilliance TA departing 5/2/20. I do recommend some type of insurance, you can buy RCI's an get 75% cancel for any reason.

3 hours ago, Flacruiser99 said:

To answer your original question at this point in time I do not  believe RCI will waive the $100 cancellation fee. I just paid my final payment on my Brilliance TA departing 5/2/20. I do recommend some type of insurance, you can buy RCI's an get 75% cancel for any reason.

You have to purchase RCL's insurance (indeed, most insurance) within 14 days of putting down your deposit to get the 'cancel for any reason" protection.

2 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

You have to purchase RCL's insurance (indeed, most insurance) within 14 days of putting down your deposit to get the 'cancel for any reason" protection.

I disagree, as far as I know RCI insurance does not require it to be purchased  within 14 days of putting down your deposit. I would appreciate you showing me where on RCI website this is. I could not find it here 

https://coverage.archinsurancesolutions.com/description-of-coverage/bb5b1cd4-ff0a-ea11-8124-1418776a18cb

cfar.jpg

13 minutes ago, Flacruiser99 said:

I disagree, as far as I know RCI insurance does not require it to be purchased  within 14 days of putting down your deposit. I would appreciate you showing me where on RCI website this is. I could not find it here 

https://coverage.archinsurancesolutions.com/description-of-coverage/bb5b1cd4-ff0a-ea11-8124-1418776a18cb

cfar.jpg

I can't - it's just something I've always been told by my TA.  If wrong, then my apologies.  That rule does apply for any other travel insurance that I've looked into.  I guess Royal is different (although that is the insurance to which she's always referred).  Indeed, if that's the case, I may look into Royal's insurance because I missed getting my insurance within 14 days on a few of my sailings.  I typically just avoid it.

45 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I can't - it's just something I've always been told by my TA.  If wrong, then my apologies.  That rule does apply for any other travel insurance that I've looked into.  I guess Royal is different (although that is the insurance to which she's always referred).  Indeed, if that's the case, I may look into Royal's insurance because I missed getting my insurance within 14 days on a few of my sailings.  I typically just avoid it.

No problem we are all learning new things every day. 

I believe the timing for 'cancel for any reason' has been changing over time. I have seen references to requiring purchase within 14 days of booking, but about a year ago RCI told me it had to be before final payment to be in effect.  Then, last February, they excluded New York from eligibility for their insurance, so I have no more recent data except for 3rd party insurers for whom that feature is an a la carte option ??

On 2/5/2020 at 10:47 PM, PG Cruiser said:

Do you think Royal will waive cancellation fees fleet wide in the light of the Coronavirus situation?  I don’t feel comfortable sailing at all within the next three months or so.

I wouldn’t worry too much about this new virus. With the travel restrictions already in place your risk of infection is low. You are actually much more likely to die of regular flu than this new virus. What many people don’t realize is that there has already been 10000 deaths and 180000 hospitalizations this year alone in just the US from regular flu. Practice good hygiene and hand washing and you will be fine.

If you only have till Monday to decide before the penalties escalate I would take the $100 penalty...I have done this myself previously when concerned with health worries..You will feel calmer when you cancel and then feel more relaxed when looking to  future cruises....I would recommend in future getting refundable deposits

There is nothing specific to a cruise ship that alters the decisions we all must make in life.  Ships don't generate viruses.  

If you decide that you aren't comfortable cruising, that's fine but consider norovirus.  More people are infected on land by a very large margin compared to on board ships.  The difference?  If 200 sick people leave church and visit 25 different doctors there is no accounting or reconciling the point of origin being the church.  Same with schools, shopping malls, transit buses, etc.  Ships are required to report anything that reaches a threshold.  Churches, schools, malls, buses are not required to report anything, even if the entire congregation is determined to be infected.

One person arriving on a plane who goes to church, then the mall, then rides a bus and so on is more impactful than the same person going on a cruise.  Ships make the news.  Churches don't. 

The media knows better than to suggest church is dangerous to your health but if you decide that a ship is a risk to your health, by the same reasoning so is your church and by an even larger margin, your kid's school if you have kids in school.  

By the numbers, you are better to avoid church and take your kids out of school AND put them on a cruise ship if you want to reduce risk.  

18 hours ago, twangster said:

By the numbers, you are better to avoid church and take your kids out of school AND put them on a cruise ship if you want to reduce risk.  

Unfortunately, I cannot avoid church nor can I endorse this solution... I’m the pastor!!! ? 

Seriously I am not that concerned about the coronavirus.  The washy-washy guys have trained us well.  I am more concerned about the overreaction to the outbreak - screenings at airports and cruise ports, quarantine procedures, delays, cancellations, etc.