port of miami

Jeff

The Miami port  is the largest cruise ship port in the World. Since it handles so much volume it is a very complete port. Because of its size the port seems to be able to process and handle lots of passengers, and really that is all I want in a port. I want to be able to board and get off the ship fast. I think you will like Miami. 

Heard for years that Miami was the worst of the Florida ports and based on our 1 actual experience (3 weeks ago), Miami is the worst port. Vastly prefer all of the other florida ports but maybe we just had a really bad experience.

Boarding was the worst process we have ever gone through and disembarkation actually managed to trump that by being even worse than boarding.

The port itself seemed fairly well setup, the traffic pattern was bad though with cars driving to drop off luggage having to cross back and forth through cars trying to pull in and out of the parking garage,etc.

We were using both Terminals B and C for the NCL Escape.

While I have not been there for a few years, I always liked cruising out of Miami.  I like all the ships and all the activity.  To me it puts electricity in the air.  I don't recall it taking longer than other ports, but as I said its been a few years.  I also like South Beach.  I think it's a pretty crazy place late at night, but I'm not a late night guy.  You should hold on to your wallet, but it's a cool place.

It's been a couple of years since I last cruised out of Miami, but I don't recall it being much different than the other ports I've sailed from other than the number of ships in port, which they handle well. I've experienced much worse traffic in Galveston than at the Miami port.

Doc, I'm surprised to hear you say that about Galveston. Admittedly, my experience is only 3 cruises thus far, but each time it's been in and out. I'm in my car, on the highway north by 9 am every time. Same thing on embarkation day, though I will say I am one of those types that shows up at 7:30 when they say boarding starts at 10 lol

Doc, I'm surprised to hear you say that about Galveston. Admittedly, my experience is only 3 cruises thus far, but each time it's been in and out. I'm in my car, on the highway north by 9 am every time. Same thing on embarkation day, though I will say I am one of those types that shows up at 7:30 when they say boarding starts at 10 lol

Getting out was fine; getting in was the problem for most as the Liberty and a Carnival ship were both in port and the main drag was really backed up. Fortunately, we stayed on the island, so we were able to avoid the traffic and parked across the street. Thus, we were able to simply wheel our bags across the street.

What ship ??  ...and what port ?

You can generally arrive as early as 10:30 - 11 AM and expect to get into the terminal.  Any earlier than that and you may end up waiting outside...never fun.  IF you decide to arrive that early, since you are in a Suite, you will have a special lounge (if you're in one of the "regular" ports) that will have drinks and some light snacks.  It's more comfortable than just sitting around the inside of the terminal.  Suites begin boarding after the wedding parties and the Pinnacle Club members so you will be on the ship very early if you arrive at the Port early.

Depending upon the ship, your cabin will probably not be ready that early.  If you are on a ship with a Concierge or a Suites Lounge, you can take your luggage there and leave it so that you don't have to schlep it around all over the ship until your room is ready.  If your ship does not have a CL or SL the Diamond Lounge may or may not allow you to leave your luggage there.  Probably not...b/c there probably isn't room for luggage and there probably isn't anyone working that early.

The earlier you are on the ship the sooner you will start enjoying your cruise ! 

if we leave port at 730pm, how early can we embark? been over ten years since my last cruise. first for my parents. we're in a grand suite.

I always get to the port by 11 a.m. regardless of departure time and have always been onboard by noon at the latest even on ships that departed late at night.  On our next cruise, the ship doesn't sail until the day AFTER embarkation; however, I still plan to be there by 11 a.m. to get onboard ASAP.

Getting out was fine; getting in was the problem for most as the Liberty and a Carnival ship were both in port and the main drag was really backed up. Fortunately, we stayed on the island, so we were able to avoid the traffic and parked across the street. Thus, we were able to simply wheel our bags across the street.

Like I said, I'm the type to show up at 7:30. We have coffee at the Starbucks across the street. Then I drop my family and bags off at the dock and go park. Usually among the first 10-12 people in line. Someday I know I'm gonna do the fly in, rush to ship routine, but no reason to do that from the house, living in Texas.

Michael Vitale,

I live in Irving, hi neighbor. How long does it take to drive to Galveston? I have never done it and have no interest in beaches so have never gone. I have two cruises out of there and air fare is $250 for a less than 1 hour trip. But I hate driving and I get lost easily and don't have a Garmin. It is my understanding that the highways leading there are all under construction (what isn't). Is the port easy to find and where would I park if I drove there?

Thanks, Candie

Michael Vitale,

I live in Irving, hi neighbor. How long does it take to drive to Galveston? I have never done it and have no interest in beaches so have never gone. I have two cruises out of there and air fare is $250 for a less than 1 hour trip. But I hate driving and I get lost easily and don't have a Garmin. It is my understanding that the highways leading there are all under construction (what isn't). Is the port easy to find and where would I park if I drove there?

Thanks, Candie

Getting down or out of Galveston wasn't a problem and we didn't have any. However, if you come down Harborside any time after 9, you're going to hit a lot of traffic. However, this can be avoided by taking adjacent streets or parking across the street and simply rolling your luggage across.

We've been through port of Miami several times and the only hang up is some long lines trying to come back in after the cruise through customs and such.  Its not awful but can eat up some time.   We always book a later flight just to be safe on the way home.  As for coming in its pretty fast.....we've arrived sometimes at 11:30-12:00 and never had any trouble getting on the ship right away after checking in of course.

Candie, hey !! It takes about 4 1/2 hours if you don't dilly dally. Since we drive down on Saturday we don't rush. There's BucEE's to stop at. There's outlets to stop at. And we only go as far as Webster. There's a really nice Holiday Inn Express there. Tons of restaurants and shopping nearby. That location leaves us a 30 minute drive on Sunday. I park at EZ Cruise parking. It's about 2 blocks from the ship. It can't be any more convenient for me.

• 2 months later...

Michael Vitale,

Thanks, Candie

Candie, there is construction between Houston and Galveston, but on Sunday it shouldn't be too bad, especially if you try to get to Galveston by noon. I-45 ends in Galveston and it's easy to find the cruise port. For details about cruising out of Galveston and specifically how to avoid the traffic on Harborside Drive, check out this post which is elsewhere on these message boards:

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php/topic/568-all-things-galveston-answers-to-your-questions/

Candie, there is construction between Houston and Galveston, but on Sunday it shouldn't be too bad, especially if you try to get to Galveston by noon. I-45 ends in Galveston and it's easy to find the cruise port. For details about cruising out of Galveston and specifically how to avoid the traffic on Harborside Drive, check out this post which is elsewhere on these message boards:

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php/topic/568-all-things-galveston-answers-to-your-questions/

I concur with Steve.  Avoid Harborside Drive and follow the directions in the link provided.  With two ships leaving from Galveston on Sunday, Harborside drive gets pretty backed up.