Diamond Princess passengers are on a two week quarantine due to Coronavirus

This is not how I’d want to have my cruise extended by two weeks! Everyone is confined to cabins after 9 on board were confirmed to have contracted the virus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/trapped-on-virus-ravaged-cruise-ship-shocked-passengers-struggle-to-keep-spirits-up/2020/02/05/6fbae50c-47d3-11ea-91ab-ce439aa5c7c1_story.html

11 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

This guy has been posted on Facebook throughout the cruise https://www.facebook.com/david.abel.75

He has a pretty good attitude towards the situation.

You can’t say that! Didn’t you see the headlines?!? These people are “shocked” and “ravaged” and “struggling”!!! ?

7 hours ago, BaikG said:

The worrying part is that they only had around 30 test kits so of those 30, 10 tested positive for the Coronavirus. Realistically, numbers would be close to at least 100.

You should consider the fact they only tested people that were in contact with the person with the Corona , but yes its quite alarming 

So , the bad news is that they found 10 more people that might have the virus .

People still stuck in the cabins , internet was opened to all and same for the TV. The people are getting meals to the rooms and also a supply of TP and soups. The Captain announce that they are checking if they can arrange small groups of people to go out to the sun.
As much as I feel sorry for the people in the cruise I feel even more sorry for the crew members which are confine to much smaller cabins .

Hope they will not find any new cases and the ship will be released soon.

Which imo, was a mistake, quarantining possible infected passengers on a ship, that will inevitably spread the virus throughout, given the close quarters of all areas of the ship.

The ship should have ported, passengers should have been moved to a quarantine wing of a medical  or treatment area, for some period of time, until a determination could be made on an individual basis, and allow trained crews to come in & disinfect the ship. The cruiseline cover whatever cost, they are covering now & will have to cover as the situation worsens.

The whole ship may very well be infected when it's all said & done, and the quarantine will undoubtedly have to go pass the suggested 14-day quarantine period, as the possibility of bodies having to be removed, increase. I imagine at some point, they gonna have to port anyway, & move passengers to a safe, isolated location, preferably, at some medical facility.....again, which should have happened initially, in the first place.

2 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Which imo, was a mistake, quarantining possible infected passengers on a ship, that will inevitably spread the virus throughout, given the close quarters of all areas of the ship.

The ship should have ported, passengers should have been moved to a quarantine wing of a medical  or treatment area, for some period of time, until a determination could be made on an individual basis, and allow trained crews to come in & disinfect the ship. The cruiseline cover whatever cost, they are covering now & will have to cover as the situation worsens.

The whole ship may very well be infected when it's all said & done, and the quarantine will undoubtedly have to go pass the suggested 14-day quarantine period, as the possibility of bodies having to be removed, increase. I imagine at some point, they gonna have to port anyway, & move passengers to a safe, isolated location, preferably, at some medical facility.....again, which should have happened initially, in the first place.

Not sure if a land base would be better.

On a land base most of the facilities are shared and you will have many people on in the same space .

On the ship currently you have people on their own room and they are not sharing the public area , the only people that are allowed between the rooms are the crew members that suppose to use protective gear . I would agree with you if everyone would be allow everywhere on the ship. Not sure that I am aware of any medical facilities were you could isolated around 5000 people, Most of the chances they would put into some military  facility sharing tents and sanitary facilities. By the way , any sick people are being moved to the hospital and are not left on the ship at all.

I think that if there will be requirement to   quarantine many more people some countries will confiscate cruise ships to be used as such. 

6 hours ago, Traveler said:

Not sure if a land base would be better.

On a land base most of the facilities are shared and you will have many people on in the same space .

On the ship currently you have people on their own room and they are not sharing the public area , the only people that are allowed between the rooms are the crew members that suppose to use protective gear . I would agree with you if everyone would be allow everywhere on the ship. Not sure that I am aware of any medical facilities were you could isolated around 5000 people, Most of the chances they would put into some military  facility sharing tents and sanitary facilities. By the way , any sick people are being moved to the hospital and are not left on the ship at all.

I think that if there will be requirement to   quarantine many more people some countries will confiscate cruise ships to be used as such. 

I was not suggesting people quarantine, would be allowed to freely move about the ship...defeat the purpose of being quarantine....just saying the close proximity of passengers in a very confine structure, not design for medical quarantine is very problematic and should be deemed an absolute last option...which I don't feel it was. You make some very valid points, I certainly agree with; however, protocol wouldn't allow for 5000-6000 passengers & crew, be moved to one facility...something I should have been more clear about, in writing....but, leaving people on that ship, with questionable logistics in care & treatment, in my mind, is equivalent to sentencing some percentage of those passengers & crew, to death, given my understanding, for right now, the severity of the virus and this situation. It just appear, they should have been moved to whatever number of locations, equip to administer treatment & get some kind of handle of this ordeal...cruise ships are not a very conducive place to fight a new mini-pandemic(for now) & provide the type of tools, care, & treatment needed, imo. Glad to hear you confirm that the most severe patients are being moved off ship, into some medical facility...that certainly helps.

4 hours ago, berkeleykel said:

Which is interesting, given the earlier comment from @BaikG that realistically it should be somewhere around 100.

And let's remember, this is 130 out of over 3,000 passengers and crew. So we're still talking about a 4% infection rate. Way better than your typical headline-grabbing Norovirus outbreak, or (those of you old enough to remember) an elementary school being hit with Chicken Pox. Long as they keep bringing the infected and confirmed passengers off the ship to the hospitals for treatment, infection should be contained fairly soon.

From everything I've read, this virus can't survive long at all in the open air; people have to be within 6 feet of someone coughing or sneezing to have any real risk of getting infected. If accurate, transmission through the ventilation system (which should also have some filters on it for stuff like Legionnaire's disease and such) is highly unlikely. Makes the confinement to cabins 100% logical and correct.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:04 PM, Traveler said:

And the bad newes continue . 41 more cases were identified on the ship bringing it to total of 61 . 

The big question is if 14 days quarantine will be enough or they will reset the count until the last infected is found . 

I understand the "clock" is reset to t-14 days when a new case is identified. It makes a lot of sense to do that, but definitely stressful. 

On 2/11/2020 at 4:01 AM, Baked Alaska said:

I understand the "clock" is reset to t-14 days when a new case is identified. It makes a lot of sense to do that, but definitely stressful. 

Number of cases around 135 now . The main issue is that not all the passengers were tested just the people which consider to be with an high risk.

The Japanese authorities said they consider now to let the older people on the ship down. we will see.  

17 hours ago, KenCP said:

175 confirmed cases now.  I hope their quarantine does not get extended to much past the Feb. 19, 2020. 

218 confirmed cases. 

I think the main issue is the fact that the crew is not really confined to their rooms, they eat on the same place ( I guess their cabins is too small to be confined in)  and I guess they work side by side. I hope the  numbers are still from the first outbreak and in few days it will be be reduced but it dose not seems like that.

Now the Japaneses health minister just announce they will let all passengers 80 years old and above which did not show the symptoms to disembark from the ship  starting tomorrow.