Oasis & Symphony at Perfect Day

Scott M

From what I understand Chick-fil-a has chartered both and neither is completely full. Also as it is a corporate trip perhaps not everyone will be out on the island. Have seen some pretty cool pics of the ships docked side by side.

Hopefully Royal doesn't view this as a test to potentially dock 2 Oasis class on same day in the future.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I must say that it's funny to me, the number of people worried about the number of people on this particular island versus the dozens or even hundreds of other caribbean islands that have four to six cruise ships tied up on any given day, to say nothing of the hotels, resorts, rental homes and other visitors that could potentially add up to 25,000 souls or more.  

For example, I love some of the as yet not hugely developed islands like St. Kitts where there will regularly be an oasis class, another middle sized from another line and a luxury style anchored offshore.  There's not exactly a lot of infrastructure or a whole lot of thrills to seek on that island and yet the only place that feels crowded is right next to the ship.  

I think almost everyone here who's been can tell you how busy St. Thomas feels most of the year.

Royal caribbean has made a huge investment, they are continually expanding what there is to do and see on their ships and on Cococay, I don't have a problem with it at all and have never seen anyone comment that it looks busy, in fact I've only seen people comment with surprise at how sparse and laid back it still feels.

5 hours ago, dr martini said:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I must say that it's funny to me, the number of people worried about the number of people on this particular island versus the dozens or even hundreds of other caribbean islands that have four to six cruise ships tied up on any given day, to say nothing of the hotels, resorts, rental homes and other visitors that could potentially add up to 25,000 souls or more.  

For example, I love some of the as yet not hugely developed islands like St. Kitts where there will regularly be an oasis class, another middle sized from another line and a luxury style anchored offshore.  There's not exactly a lot of infrastructure or a whole lot of thrills to seek on that island and yet the only place that feels crowded is right next to the ship.  

I think almost everyone here who's been can tell you how busy St. Thomas feels most of the year.

Royal caribbean has made a huge investment, they are continually expanding what there is to do and see on their ships and on Cococay, I don't have a problem with it at all and have never seen anyone comment that it looks busy, in fact I've only seen people comment with surprise at how sparse and laid back it still feels.

I understand what you’re saying and you’re right, we’ll have to see what happens if Royal tries two (fully booked) Oasis class ships or even 3+ ships. But I think the concern is valid. Even your least developed island has more excursion options than CocoCay to spread guests out. As great a job as they’ve done with the island, it’s still primarily a beach port and there are a finite number of chairs available, particularly as more cabanas and beach beds are added. While the capacity may be higher than they’ve attempted yet, many fear that the experience will change significantly with more guests. Only time will tell if it’s an issue or not.

From my own experience I felt the difference was obvious between a day on Harmony and a day with Mariner and Navigator in port. We still managed to have a great day, but I’d argue a few thousand more guests might affect that opinion. Of course Royal says this is only Phase 1 for the island, so maybe we’ll see even more capacity added down the line to facilitate more (and bigger) ships in port on the same day.

As others have said, today’s charters aren’t a great indication and who knows, maybe that’s the only time it will even happen. I’m sure it was a fun day!