ANTHEM OF THE SEAS CABIN 8710

shaydav19

Help if you can,  I am 40 days out from a family cruise and have my mom in cabin 8710,  I have read some reviews from Nov/ Dec cruises regarding bed bugs and I am freaking out!  Anyone have any insight to the upkeep in that cabin?   Do you think the cleanliness will be improved upon due to this current virus?  I already pack lysol and bleach wipes but now thinking black lawn bags for empty luggage and purchasing mattress covers? 

I have sailed Anthem 3 times (2016, 2018, 2019) and have never encountered a dirty room. In 2016 I was with a group of about 9 cabins, no issues. In 2018 I was with 5 cabins, no issues. In 2019 I was with 6 cabins, no issues. I am not sure if the cabin steward is trained to identify bed bugs, but you can always check for yourself (peace of mind). I'm not going to sit here and say there isn't a single bed bug on the ship, but I've never in 12 Royal Caribbean cruises (with two more booked) in the last 13 years have heard/read one story of an infestation.

Rest assured, I can say with 99.9% certainty your room will be completely sanitary and bug free. In regards to Lysol, some people wipe down the room, but I honestly feel it's overkill.

Don't forget, people like to leave bad reviews (some not true) but rarely jump in with a positive review. 

1 hour ago, shaydav19 said:

Help if you can,  I am 40 days out from a family cruise and have my mom in cabin 8710,  I have read some reviews from Nov/ Dec cruises regarding bed bugs and I am freaking out!  Anyone have any insight to the upkeep in that cabin?   Do you think the cleanliness will be improved upon due to this current virus?  I already pack lysol and bleach wipes but now thinking black lawn bags for empty luggage and purchasing mattress covers? 

I'm sure you will be fine. We're all Royal Caribbean customers here and this hasn't been an issue. Try not to worry about it. Who knows what really happened.

In nearly 50 cruises with Royal Caribbean the worst thing I've encountered was a drawer with the previous occupant's underwear in it.  We found the room attendant and had it removed but never have I ever been concerned about bugs.  If there WERE bedbugs in that room at any time and Royal Caribbean was made aware of it, trust me, the entire room would have been fumigated and the mattresses tossed.

okay all, 

This will be my 2nd cruise with Royal and I really desire to be Loyal to Royal, as I had a horrible experience August 2019, with Carnival!  After having an excellent Royal cruise January 2019.  So when I saw these reviews on the "Cruise Critic" site I started panicking.   I've backed packed in Greece and Italy for two months the hard way and never had an issue but my elderly mom and aunt are coming this time, and I would never hear the end of it.  Thanks so much for the reassurances!

6 minutes ago, shaydav19 said:

okay all, 

This will be my 2nd cruise with Royal and I really desire to be Loyal to Royal, as I had a horrible experience August 2019, with Carnival!  After having an excellent Royal cruise January 2019.  So when I saw these reviews on the "Cruise Critic" site I started panicking.   I've backed packed in Greece and Italy for two months the hard way and never had an issue but my elderly mom and aunt are coming this time, and I would never hear the end of it.  Thanks so much for the reassurances!

Pro tip - stay off of that "other" website!

I am sailing on Anthem in 11 days, and I am not concerned whatsoever.  On my past RC cruises, I have never had a cleanliness issue with a room.  As WAAAYTOOO said, Royal would be all over that type of issue if they were made aware it existed.  

I personally take reviews and comments less and less serious the more I read them.  The power of the keyboard tends to allow for some "extra" in the stories that are posted.  I also believe that, as others have stated, any cruise line would be all over it to make sure other guests did not experience the same issue.  If there was photo evidence to back up the claim, that might be different.  

29 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

In nearly 50 cruises with Royal Caribbean the worst thing I've encountered was a drawer with the previous occupant's underwear in it.  We found the room attendant and had it removed ....

Same situation with us on the Symphony in the fall. A foundation garment was in our bottom bathroom drawer.  We didnt want our suite attendant to think it was ours ... so we mentioned it. While no hazmat suit was involved ... rubber gloves, plastic disposal bags and a can of disinfectant spray all quickly came into play. ?

I could imagine that bedbugs would exist in hotels or other accommodations because those cleaning standards will vary.  But in an place that has the washy, washy song...no.

I am sure like other posters have stated it was just some internet liar. People who may have never even been on a RCC or felt ever so slighted and wants to bring down this cruise line. There is a guy in my office who leaves bad yelp reviews to places he has never been, because mostly he cannot get in. He refuses to accept any responsibility..i.e he wasn't dressed properly, violated conduct standards etc.

There are a ton of bad reviews about RCC..the same with Carnival, NCL and Disney. Like the internet likes to say...Pics or it didn't happen.

We were on Anthem for New Year's and just a few doors down from the cabin you referenced.   No issues with cleanliness at all.

+1 for the stay away from the reviews.   We read so may lackluster reviews about Enchantment before we sailed her a couple of years ago, we almost pulled the plug.   We were honestly pleased that the condition of ship, service of crew, and food and drinks exceeded our expectations.