Bermuda multiple times

Hoski

So we've decided this year to cruise from ports close to home and this will result in multiple visits to Bermuda.  We were also there in October and visited the zoo and dockyard mostly.  One trip we will take the kids to the snorkel beach close by just because it is cheap and close.  What are some out of the ordinary things to do in Bermuda either with kids or just as a couple?  The tours are so expensive and we really are used to going on our own. 

1 hour ago, Hoski said:

So we've decided this year to cruise from ports close to home and this will result in multiple visits to Bermuda.  We were also there in October and visited the zoo and dockyard mostly.  One trip we will take the kids to the snorkel beach close by just because it is cheap and close.  What are some out of the ordinary things to do in Bermuda either with kids or just as a couple?  The tours are so expensive and we really are used to going on our own. 

We took a ferry to Hamilton and just walked around for part of one day. You could also head out to Horseshoe Bay beach... what a beautiful beach! My avatar/pic is a shot I took of Horseshoe Bay from the road above.

Bermuda_H Bay.JPG

Thanks JohnK6404

I think we are going to be there about 6 days this year and not sure how to fill those days without breaking the bank.  I think St. George one day as a couple.  Daughters and I walked around Hamilton before the zoo in October but I think hubby and I would enjoy it.

Things we've done or still plan to do, all but one should be lower cost:

1. Take the ferry to St. George's and explore the historic buildings in the town square, watch a historical reenactment there if they have one going on, and walk to Tobacco Bay Beach; all free, easy walk to the beach, and the beach itself is a very nice little place that hardly anyone who isn't a local goes to
  2. Also while in St. George's, check out the stores that sell sea glass art, paintings by local artists, and more; window shopping is totally free! ? 
  3. See the botanical gardens, which are completely free apart from the ferry to Hamilton plus bus fare to reach them from the main terminal; keep in mind they got kind of wrecked by the hurricane that went through last year, but by the time you're going they may have bounced back
  4. See the aquarium; this one we haven't done yet, and it's definitely a one-and-done by all accounts, but still a good option to consider and inexpensive
  5. Visit the Crystal Caves around the center of the island, followed (or maybe preceded) by a stop at the ice cream parlor and/or The Swizzle Inn located right there at the bus stop (I will say this will not be a cheap day, though; the caves run about $30 per person by themselves, if I remember right)
  6. If you're going by cruise ship, don't forget to check out the fort and other historic buildings right there in the Royal Naval Dockyard, not to mention the art shop and craft gallery (assuming you're docked there and not sailing on Empress, which docks directly in Hamilton and St. George's)

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse (climb the stairs to the top) is a great place to visit for the view.

At the dockyard there is a miniature golf course unlike any other I've ever found - Bermuda Fun Golf. First six holes are scale replicas of holes from courses in Bermuda, next six are famous holes from the US (like the 12th at Pebble Beach), and the final six are well-known holes from Scotland (like the Road Hole at St. Andrew's). Challenging and fun with great ocean views along the way.

In St. George's there is a museum related to the US Civil War.

Thank you for all the great ideas.  We are really considering the caves but we sometimes have trouble with that many steps.  We were supposed to do the dockyard fort last visit but my youngest has some emotional/mental health special needs and it didn't work out.  I'm going to make two list 1. w/kids 2. w/o kids and work from all your great suggestions.