Sailing Hurricane Season

JoyJoy

RCCL will always take the ship someplace safe.  I have sailed during hurricane season for the past 15 years and have never been disappointed.  However if you will only be happy to make the ports that are on the itinerary  then sailing this time of year is not a good option.  Yes there are sailings cancelled or extended so unless you can roll with the punches then it is not the risk.

Good luck!

Keep in mind that even during non-hurricane season there can be storms or high winds that keep a ship out of a port.  Mariner and Navigator had to skip Coco Cay today due to high winds (and that's a major draw/destination for people).  There are never guarantees, no matter the season.  I'd take advantage of the great October pricing!

I like sailing in October.   Prices are lower as well as the temperatures.

I have had itineraries altered due to weather.  It can be disappointing.  Also a sea day in bad weather is no fun.  The Captain and Royal does everything to find fair seas and sunshine.

I've missed the old CocoCay several times due to high wind and seas and Jamaica once due to Hurricane Sandy.  Still had a great time on my cruises.

18 hours ago, JoyJoy said:

Hi;

What are your opinions about October sailings to the Bahamas considering it's peak hurricane season?

Thanks

Concur with the other posts.   Additionally, when we cruised just after Dorian, we notice how calm the seas were and how nice the weather was.   So assume you miss the hurricane, you could be in for a real treat!!  I would only add to protect your cruise investment with appropriate travel insurance.

I actively take all big vacations in October, its a great month because like 90% of children are in school. I am a solo traveler, mostly, so this a huge deal. However, I know that October is a weird month for all around. The weather is weird and there is no guarantee that anything will go as plan. Accepting that it might be all sea days is important. I wouldn't pick an itinerary of bucket-list places because of the extra factor that it is hurricane season. However, I have notice that some itineraries are half as much in October as they might be in June or July. Work the trade off.

• 3 weeks later...

@SpeedNoodles

On 2/2/2020 at 11:22 AM, SpeedNoodles said:

Keep in mind that even during non-hurricane season there can be storms or high winds that keep a ship out of a port.  Mariner and Navigator had to skip Coco Cay today due to high winds (and that's a major draw/destination for people).  There are never guarantees, no matter the season.  I'd take advantage of the great October pricing!

We did Navigator of Seas Feb 7-10 and that Coco Cay day was extremely windy. We did not exit the boat. This February sailing was not warm enough for me. Therefore I understand completely what you are conveying. Thanks.

@DanielB

On 2/1/2020 at 9:06 PM, DanielB said:

RCCL will always take the ship someplace safe.  I have sailed during hurricane season for the past 15 years and have never been disappointed.  

I booked an October 2020 sailing to Bahamas and Jamaica. From your experience, is it good and hot during this time. My last sailing Feb 7-10 was not hot enough for me water fun. I was walking around in a light sweater, and pants. I'm hoping October is much hotter.