Ship boarding

There are 14 of us who all booked at the same time for our upcoming cruise. We all got different boarding times and for three of us, it says Expedited.
What does expedited mean and why would they give us boarding times that are several hours apart?
All of the times are after noon, can we still show up at 11:30 and board, as was mentioned in another post?

I have never had expedited boarding but I have read that it just saves a few minutes by cutting out the counter time, if I’m not mistaken.  From what I understand, you get a Expedited Boarding by checking in with the app and scanning your passport.  You cannot get expedited boarding without a passport, from what I understand.

15 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I have never had expedited boarding but I have read that it just saves a few minutes by cutting out the counter time, if I’m not mistaken.  From what I understand, you get a Expedited Boarding by checking in with the app and scanning your passport.  You cannot get expedited boarding without a passport, from what I understand.

I confirmed this recently, not only do you need to fully complete your check-in online. But you must scan your passport in the app to have expedited boarding status.

59 minutes ago, HendersonPhoto said:

Do you know what "Expedited" means?

It really just means you have already checked in and can go straight to walking on the ship without having to speak to anyone. 

It's only available if you scanned your passport through the app and uploaded a photo.

In all honesty they have streamlined check in to where it only saves you a few minutes over those folks that didn't get Expedited Boarding.

You can arrive whenever you want; Royal does not enforce the boarding times.  Typically you can get into the terminals as early as 10-10:30am.

We had expedited boarding last week on Oasis. Got to the port at 10:15. On the ship by 11. They called top tier loyalty, key passes and expedited right away. Your group can probably go in with you even if they don’t have expedited. May be a hold up when you 1st get to port showing their documents if they didn’t scan their passports 1st. But in Miami at 10:30 there was really no line for that.

19 hours ago, HendersonPhoto said:

Do you know what "Expedited" means?

When you use the Royal app to check-in and have met all the requirements, you may receive expedited arrival.  It basically means that you can skip the check-in process at the terminal and head straight to the boarding area. 

When you get to the terminal, there is a dedicated line for those that have it.  If it wasn’t granted to everyone in your reservation, let the person that does have it go through first and everyone else follow.  Usually they will let all members in your reservation join you, but some have been told they cannot. 

Selection is completely random and is not granted to everyone.  I haven’t heard of anyone getting it by using a birth certificate and as far as I can tell, you can only get expedited arrival when passports are scanned.  It is only available in certain ports and not available on every ship.