Western in Dec 2020 (Symphony) or Feb 2021 (Allure)?

raahc

We've only cruised Eastern twice in February, and would like to book Western in December or January. 

Please give me some feedback on which month would be best?  Itineraries are similar.

Both are about the same price.

I know the seas are unpredictable and I don't really know the school schedule in the U.S, but ideally for us, less kids and a smoother sailing ?

Flights right now for Miami in December are very good!

Also, how many days pre-cruise would we need to experience Miami for the first time?

December 5-12, 2020
Symphony
Miami:   Costa Maya, Roatan, Cozumel, CocoCay

Jan 24-31, 2021
Allure (will be refurbished)
Miami:  Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya, CocoCay

*Will 4 ports be too tiring?

Thanks so much!

1 minute ago, raahc said:

We've only cruised Eastern twice in February, and would like to book Western in December or January.  Please give me some feedback on which month/itinerary would be best?
Both are about the same price.

I know the seas are unpredictable and I don't really know the school schedule in the U.S, but ideally for us, less kids and a smoother sailing ?

Flights right now for Miami in December are very good!

Also, how many days pre-cruise would we need to experience Miami for the first time?

December 5-12, 2020
Symphony
Miami:   Costa Maya, Roatan, Cozumel, CocoCay

Jan 24-31, 2021
Allure (will be refurbished)
Miami:  Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya, CocoCay

*Will 4 ports be too tiring?

Thanks so much!

Of course, this kind of thing is really about personal preference so it's hard to make objective recommendations.

I totally prefer the western Caribbean to the eastern, but it is a case of most favorites and least favorites, in my case.  I love Costa Maya.  It is one of my very favorite ports but at the same time I refuse to leave the ship at Roatan due to a number of very negative experiences so a western Caribbean including both of these 2 ports is always a high and low, for me.  We will be on this itin (sans Coco Cay) in September on Liberty and we're very excited to be going.

As for the ships, I don't think you can make a mistake here !  I have yet to cruise on Symphony but I feel sure it is just as wonderful as the other Oasis sisters.  It's newer, but with Allure having the amp in the meantime, I don't think there is any down side to cruising on either one.  I would go strictly by price here.  I do not care for either Hair Spray or Cats so the entertainment would be a wash for me.

I am a sea days lover so 4 ports is really more than I like but again, that's a personal taste kind of thing.  Since I don't get off in Roatan it's really only a 3 port cruise for me !  That is true of many cruises.  Truthfully, I rarely get off the ship anywhere in the Caribbean anymore so I'm not a good source on this topic.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Of course, this kind of thing is really about personal preference so it's hard to make objective recommendations.

I totally prefer the western Caribbean to the eastern, but it is a case of most favorites and least favorites, in my case.  I love Costa Maya.  It is one of my very favorite ports but at the same time I refuse to leave the ship at Roatan due to a number of very negative experiences so a western Caribbean including both of these 2 ports is always a high and low, for me.  We will be on this itin (sans Coco Cay) in September on Liberty and we're very excited to be going.

As for the ships, I don't think you can make a mistake here !  I have yet to cruise on Symphony but I feel sure it is just as wonderful as the other Oasis sisters.  It's newer, but with Allure having the amp in the meantime, I don't think there is any down side to cruising on either one.  I would go strictly by price here.  I do not care for either Hair Spray or Cats so the entertainment would be a wash for me.

I am a sea days lover so 4 ports is really more than I like but again, that's a personal taste kind of thing.  Since I don't get off in Roatan it's really only a 3 port cruise for me !  That is true of many cruises.  Truthfully, I rarely get off the ship anywhere in the Caribbean anymore so I'm not a good source on this topic.

Thanks so much!  I understand about personal preferences, was just looking for experiences on both ships during two different months.

Oooh, so sorry you don't enjoy Roatan. I haven't begun research on any of the ports. Worse case, we'll stay on the ship and have an extra sea day ?

I actually prefer the mega ships to the smaller ones.  I like the stateroom set up on Harmony and Symphony over Allure/Oasis, but being on a refurbished ship is exciting as well.

We fell asleep during Hairspray and left after 10 minutes ...lol

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

If all else is even you could pick between Mamma Mia or Hairspray ;>)

LOL, I didn't like Hairspray.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Oh sorry....Cats is on Oasis.  I hate Mama Mia, too !!  ....but between those 2 I would probably go with Mama Mia b/c at least the music is tolerable.

?

I've seen Mama Mia, but not on a ship and didn't like it either.  That would mean more free time for our evenings ...lol