First Cruise Question/Help

jonathonb

My girlfriend and I are looking to go on our first cruise and she has left it all up to me to plan so I've been watching videos and reading articles for the last few weeks and stumbled across this site and youtube channel and wanted to ask for help. I haven't been on a cruise but I always saw advertisements for Carnival, like all the time and the occasional Royal Caribbean add. I was just wondering why you guys think royal Caribbean is superior to carnival? also if you have any suggestions as to where I should go for a first cruise (has to depart from Florida) please leave them, my girlfriend and I haven't traveled much so are willing to go anywhere just not sure where to go because there's so many options and so many ships to choose from so any help with that would be great too. Thanks in advance for the help. 

Welcome to the boards! You’re going to get tons of suggestions! ? 

To help us steer you in the right direction, give us a little more about your style — are you looking for laid back or adventurous? Do you have a passport or would you rather travel on a birth certificate the first time? How long a vacation are you looking for? What part of Florida is better,or does it matter?

Welcome! I have never been on Carnival and won’t trash them, but all you have to do is pull up next to one of their ships in port to start seeing the differences. Royal just does it right in my opinion.

You have lots of options out of Florida. You could do a shorter 3-4 night cruise on Navigator (Miami) or Mariner (Port Canaveral) to get a taste of it. Or you could opt for a longer cruise so you don’t blink and it’s over.

I’d suggest either Harmony or Symphony for the best of what Royal has to offer. I don’t think you can go wrong there. Good luck and have fun planning!

5 hours ago, jonathonb said:

I was just wondering why you guys think royal Caribbean is superior to carnival?

I haven't been on Carnival, but what I like about Royal Caribbean is I believe they have a good balance of what you pay for versus what you get.

Other cruise lines are cheaper, but you don't get as much. 

Other cruise lines give you much more, but they cost a lot more too.

5 hours ago, jonathonb said:

My girlfriend and I are looking to go on our first cruise and she has left it all up to me to plan so I've been watching videos and reading articles for the last few weeks and stumbled across this site and youtube channel and wanted to ask for help. I haven't been on a cruise but I always saw advertisements for Carnival, like all the time and the occasional Royal Caribbean add. I was just wondering why you guys think royal Caribbean is superior to carnival? also if you have any suggestions as to where I should go for a first cruise (has to depart from Florida) please leave them, my girlfriend and I haven't traveled much so are willing to go anywhere just not sure where to go because there's so many options and so many ships to choose from so any help with that would be great too. Thanks in advance for the help. 

For us, our initial experiences with Royal were very positive, and we haven't seen a need to change.  Overall, we have found the service outstanding, and the standard of care/amenities seems luxurious to us.  Our frame of reference is "middle class", so we are thrilled when someone waits on us so diligently.  Regarding some other lines, there is simply too much bad press--cutting corners to save $$$ which hurts guests in the end.  But we are not big drinkers or big party-hounds. 

As for itineraries, we do a lot in the Caribbean, but I prefer Europe when my wife is willing to fly.

If your plans are flexible, go in the off season when you can get a great rate -- we avoid paying premium prices in the summer.

I've been on 4 Carnival cruises and have no intention of returning unless they change drastically, Carnival is considered a booze cruise line  and the entertainment sucked to put it mildly. I haven't been on the newer ships like Vista or Horizon and understand they offer more that the others, but once you step on an Oasis class ship as a destination and explore all she has to offer, none other can compare in my book.

I have been on both Carnival and RC and I would say RC has it over Carnival by a large margin.  Carnival is more the party get wild see how drunk I can get type of cruise.  Like mworkman says there is no comparison for the Oasis class ships.  If you have been on vacations that seem like they are over before they start good that is kinda what happens on cruises less than seven days so i would pick a seven day cruise to start off.  The Harmony of the Seas leaves out of Port Canaveral and would be a great ship to start.  Not sure what your budget is but you might look into a ocean view balcony room.  These rooms come in the small size right on up to large suites   Not sure how you will be getting to the port you choose but most of the experienced cruisers get to the port a day early and stay at a hotel the night before.  Not only is it more relaxing but you dont want to chance missing the ship,  they will not wait for you and you will not get any money back.  I sure you will have more questions so there are more than enough long time cruise help on this site.  Good luck

I've been on both and do prefer Royal but would still cruise Carnival if the deal was right.  I suggest you don't book a cruise to Nassau or Freeport for your first cruise.  The Bahamas other than the private RC islands are our least favorite.  I would try one that hits Mexico or other Caribbean ports. 

My wife and I have cruised both, we started off with Carnival and IMHO moved up to Royal. We have been on Vista on her maiden voyage from Europe to New York and really enjoyed it, however we then had the chance to go on Royal (Indy) and thought it was better than Carnival. We have stayed with Royal as we feel it is better value however would still go on Carnival if it fit into our holiday period or locations to visit. You will make your own mind up as everyone has their own likes and dislikes, go with an open mind and enjoy your trip. 

21 hours ago, Matt said:

I haven't been on Carnival, but what I like about Royal Caribbean is I believe they have a good balance of what you pay for versus what you get.

Other cruise lines are cheaper, but you don't get as much. 

Other cruise lines give you much more, but they cost a lot more too.

I totally agree!  Royal seems to be the sweet spot.  I've sailed on NCL, Princess, and Royal; but not Carnival. While I can't respond to Carnival on a first hand basis, I will say that each time I research Carnival, I decide against Carnival in favor of Royal.  YouTube seems to offer a test drive.  When I look at Carnival, it seems to be like I am test driving an economically sensible choice.  But the extras I am used to are missing.  When I watch videos of upscale lines, the excitement builds. But then I look at my pocket book and think, really??  Royal has great things built into your cruise fare and has other offerings if you want to upgrade one or more aspects of your cruise.

I've sailed on Liberty of the Seas (Freedom class) and Harmony (Oasis class). The Oasis class gives you the resort experience, if that is something you are looking to try.  Harmony had so much to offer. The kid in me loves the slides, zip line, and all the other activities. The aging adult in me loves the quiet spaces of the Solarium, the quiet evening music in Central Park, and so forth.  The shows are wonderful and will keep you entertained.  Liberty was an absolutely great vacation.  What made it even better was the ability to drive to the port in less than two hours. But Harmony just cranked it up a notch.  

I hope you have a great cruise no matter what you decide. Happy Planning!

Been on Norwegian, Carnival, RC, and Celebrity.  If this is your first cruise you won't have anything to compare it to so will have a blast whichever cruise line you choose.

As for itineraries, the western Caribbean is always fun. If on RC CoCo Cay, Cozumel, Costa Maya etc offers many things to do. Typically that's a 7 day cruise.  5 day cruises typically go to the Bahamas, maybe Grand Cayman  and Jamaica which are also fun for first timers.

Just pick the itinerary and length and go for it. just be aware that while the cruise fare covers food and entertainment, booze and shore excursions will add considerably to the overall cost of the cruise. You will have a good time.