Puerto Rico- Pre Cruise Questions

My wife and I, and some friends of ours, are going on a cruise out of Puerto Rico early next year.  We'll be sailing on the Adventure of the Seas.  This is the first time that my wife and I have been to Puerto Rico.  We will be arriving two days early and then having the full day when we get off the cruise to explore the island.  We have a decent idea of some activities to do (Bioluminescent bay, ziplining, etc), but we have no clue what some good hotels are (we are looking to not spend over $200 a night) and how the best way to get around is (I'm assuming car rental, but if so, where to rent from, etc?).  I'm wondering what others experiences have been.  Where you have stayed and what you did for transportation, and what activities that you did while there.  Thank you in advance for any advice that you can give!

Another vote for Sheraton Old San Juan. Look at prices, but you can't beat its location.

If you stay outside of Old San Juan, you will definitely need a rental car.  Taxi could work, but it depends on how much traveling you are doing.  

The great thing about a hotel in Old San Juan is you don't need a car/taxi to explore this area.

The city bus system in San Juan is actually very easy, inexpensive and reliable.  Of course, if you are planning on doing anything outside of the city (such as going to El Yunque rain forest) then you would need a car but if you're staying in the city, the bus system works great.

I have stayed at the Intercontinental, the Marriott and the Ritz Carlton - all of which I would recommend.  I have also stayed at the El Condado Beach Resort (which I think is named something else these days) which I would NOT recommend.

We stayed at the Sheraton for our honeymoon, at least I think thats what it was at the time, it's just across the street where RC ships used to dock in the downtown area, so it was a great location.

We did the bioluminescent bay on that trip; just be aware you'll likely not get back into town until 2:30am or thereabouts. 

Another time we stayed at Courtyard Isla Verde Beach Resort, it was OK, I just didn't like the location as you needed a taxi to go anywhere.

Just today I booked`Fortaleza Suites for our November trip since I wanted to be right downtown in the old city area.  We'll likely take a trip to the rain forest with the kids (my wife wants to do that, not me), and spend the rest of the time downtown.

We stayed at La Concha Renaissance in the heart of Condado.  Our hotel booked our Rainforest Trip which was convenient.  We didn't have a car but found taxi convenient at night.  During the day, we used the city bus service that was very convenient and 75 cents pp.   If you stay in Old San Juan, the free trolley system is convenient but usually packed with tourists.  Have fun...sure wish I were there.   Don't be concerned about a language issue....EVERYONE speaks English.