Help with RC Math

Quilter620

Could someone please explain how Royal Caribbean is figuring its math. I am looking at booking the Harmony of the Seas sailing January 23, 2022 from Port Everglades. When I choose a pick your own stateroom it shows the price as $1372 per person for a oceanview balcony. When I select any fore or aft cabin the total price shown for the two of us is $4340. Where did the extra $1596 come from? That is more than the quoted price for one person. Without discounts I expected the room to cost $3045.82. Thank you so much for your help.  

image.png.cc69a99e1e3be1e052f4f029e980e4e2.png

it would appear the per person price is taken as an average per person after discounts applied, and $4340 is the price before discounts applied. If you look at the bottom what they're trying to charge you for is the $3044.82 which is what you expected within $1.

Being new to RC I can tell you it starts getting a little easier to look at ? The good news is the price for your cruise is what you expected it to be ($3044)

I also imagine a more experienced member will pipe up soon and make it all make better sense 

@PRebecca thank you for trying to explain...but I did not word things correctly. After discounts I expected the room to cost $2147.62 which is much less than the total shown. These were my calculations,  maybe this will help you see where I figured wrong.

1st person = 1372

2nd person 1372 -  823.20 = 548.8

Taxes and fees = 301.82

Booking discount = -75

Total = 2147.62

4 minutes ago, Quilter620 said:

@PRebecca thank you for trying to explain...but I did not word things correctly. After discounts I expected the room to cost $2147.62 which is much less than the total shown. These were my calculations,  maybe this will help you see where I figured wrong.

1st person = 1372

2nd person 1372 -  823.20 = 548.8

Taxes and fees = 301.82

Booking discount = -75

Total = 2147.62

It is my understanding that when there is a sale it is already factored in. Meaning since all rooms are based on 2 person occupancy the average cost is that price.

I apologize if I led you to believe I could explain it. People here often refer to 'Royal Math'  because it usually does not make sense. I was excited there for a minute that I thought this time it did?

I'm sorry to report in my short time around here I've never seen anyone be able to figure it out! But I hope you find something that fits in your budget and that you're satisfied paying to go on an awesome cruise!

Happy sailing!

@Quilter620 the “price per passenger” of 1372 is the price with the discounts already factored in before taxes and fees. When you are pricing things out, you can click the blue view pricing by guest and you will see how it’s broken down. @PRebecca was correct in her explanation.

if you take the subtotal of the 2743 and divide that by 2 you will get the 1372.

31 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

It is my understanding that when there is a sale it is already factored in. Meaning since all rooms are based on 2 person occupancy the average cost is that price.

That would make sense. I had never looked at rooms on HoS so I was unaware what a "normal" price was. Thank you everyone for your help.

26 minutes ago, Quilter620 said:

That would make sense. I had never looked at rooms on HoS so I was unaware what a "normal" price was. Thank you everyone for your help.

It's nothing unique to Harmony.  The Royal website always shows you a price that already factors in any advertised sales.  Same thing when you go to book dining, drink packages, excursions, etc.  If there is a sale that says drink package is Buy One Get One Half Off!!! and the price shown is $60.  It will cost $120 to buy 2 drink packages because that $60 already includes the BOGO.  (Actually it will cost $120 + 18% = $141.6 because of gratuities.)

5 hours ago, Quilter620 said:

Could someone please explain how Royal Caribbean is figuring its math. I am looking at booking the Harmony of the Seas sailing January 23, 2022 from Port Everglades. When I choose a pick your own stateroom it shows the price as $1372 per person for a oceanview balcony. When I select any fore or aft cabin the total price shown for the two of us is $4340. Where did the extra $1596 come from? That is more than the quoted price for one person. Without discounts I expected the room to cost $3045.82. Thank you so much for your help.  

My approach is to look at the bottom line price and decide if it is fair.  We had an ocean view balcony on the Harmony in September which was about $876 (purchased 16 months in advance) per person plus taxes/port fees, or about the $2147 you thought your were going to pay.  So if I were you, I would try to do better than  the $3K and change quote because you are in the "off season".  Maybe other members can share their pricing experience.