First Time Cruiser - In Roatan is an Excursion a must?

ShutterBex

A group of us are going to be on the Rhapsody for the Feb 8th sailing to the Western Caribbean and I'm wondering if doing an excursion is recommended in Roatan rather than exploring or finding a beach to snorkel on our own? A couple in our group have booked an all inclusive beach day, but that doesn't really appeal to me - it doesn't look like there is good snorkeling there.

It looks like we will be tendered, which I'm assuming is a factor since based on others' posts having an excursion booked with RC may get us on shore faster?

I'd really love to do some snorkeling, or if that isn't easy to do shopping or sight seeing, as laying around tanning isn't that much fun for me - I burn really easy. 

Any recommendations from those who have been to Roatan before?

We have excursions planned for our other stops except for Cozumel, as I have been there many times and know how easy it is to get around, so Roatan is the only port I'm worried about finding something to do easily.

Thanks very much!

I have heard that the snorkeling in Roatan is good so if you are into snorkeling I would research excursions that will take you snorkeling.

We didn't do the beach thing when we were in Roatan.  We hired a private tour that took us around the island.  One of the highlights for us was visiting the Monkey & Sloth hangout https://monkeyandslothhangout.com/home/  They do have a tour that includes snorkeling as well.  

There will also have vendors at the port peddling tours that you can pick one that has something that you want.  There isn't much at all immediately at the port to walk to, so Roatan is definitely a port where you need to have an idea of what you want to do so you know what to look for.

We went to Roatan while on Harmony last May, and we did the RC Tabyana beach excursion.  I thought the snorkeling there was absolutely fantastic.  We brought our own gear, but you can easily rent it, too.  If I recall, there was also another RC Tabyana beach excursion that included snorkeling equipment for a few dollars more.  Check your cruise planner.

There is a huge reef just yards off of the shore.  The beach is very shallow for quite a ways out in the water, and even for those that don't snorkel, you can wade out into the water waist deep and still see all sorts of colorful fish swimming around you.  We thoroughly enjoyed this excursion, and would do it again in a heart beat next time we are back in Roatan.

I highly recommend this excursion company.  We did the Wild on Roatan tour which was great.  I'd trust them for snorkeling too.  Even though we didn't snorkel with them in Roatan, we used this company for excursions in three places on our last cruise (Nassau, Costa Maya and Roatan) and all were very professional.

https://roatancruiseexcursions.com/

2 hours ago, ShutterBex said:

A group of us are going to be on the Rhapsody for the Feb 8th sailing to the Western Caribbean and I'm wondering if doing an excursion is recommended in Roatan rather than exploring or finding a beach to snorkel on our own? A couple in our group have booked an all inclusive beach day, but that doesn't really appeal to me - it doesn't look like there is good snorkeling there.

It looks like we will be tendered, which I'm assuming is a factor since based on others' posts having an excursion booked with RC may get us on shore faster?

I'd really love to do some snorkeling, or if that isn't easy to do shopping or sight seeing, as laying around tanning isn't that much fun for me - I burn really easy. 

Any recommendations from those who have been to Roatan before?

We have excursions planned for our other stops except for Cozumel, as I have been there many times and know how easy it is to get around, so Roatan is the only port I'm worried about finding something to do easily.

Thanks very much!

I have also read good reviews of Tabyana, but we chose Maya Key.  The snorkeling requires a guide (who you tip at the end) to take you through the narrow opening in the coral to get to the best snorkeling spot.  The Key has a buffet lunch, beaches, swimming pool, bar, Mayan exhibit, and several wild animals to see.  I also like the locker room and gift shop.  Lockers were $3 on our trip in September, but we didn't need them for our suits/clothes.   Shuttles take you back to the ship (we were docked) on a regular schedule, so you can stay all of your port day or return early.

If you don't want the constraints/pleasures of having a small group guide, then don't pick Maya Key.  It was affordable in Cruise Planner.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks Everyone!

@MarvinS I had considered doing the Tabayana beach snorkel but wasn't sure how good the snorkeling would actually be - in my experience the locations with inflatables and slides etc. are not always the best for seeing marine life. I will probably opt for this as I will probably end up doing this excursion solo - the others can usually only stand snorkeling once or twice a trip, while I could spend all week in the water!

The outside excursion companies I will look into as well - my only hesitation is with being tendered it makes me nervous to use a non-RCL group, and if I'm the only person in my group who wants to go I don't want to risk having the excursion cancelled for not having enough others sign up.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions.

So I went to book the Tabayana beach snorkel to get the pre-cruise pricing locked in - and it asks to confirm the participants are below 250lbs - a requirement that isn't listed on the summary page which is why I was considering it. Does anybody know how strict they are about this? I'm about 260lbs and don't expect to drop 10 lbs between now and the excursion ha!

Thanks!

2 hours ago, ShutterBex said:

So I went to book the Tabayana beach snorkel to get the pre-cruise pricing locked in - and it asks to confirm the participants are below 250lbs - a requirement that isn't listed on the summary page which is why I was considering it. Does anybody know how strict they are about this? I'm about 260lbs and don't expect to drop 10 lbs between now and the excursion ha!

Thanks!

I'd book it and if they weigh you that day (which I doubt they will), just tell them you were 250 when you booked it but must have added a few lbs during the cruise ?.  I'd be really surprised if they turn you away.

3 hours ago, ShutterBex said:

Thanks!

I sure don't recall being "weighed" for this excursion.  Granted, I did this with my own gear, but there is no reason to be weighed for the use of snorkel gear!  I would book it and not worry about it!