Linking dining & entertainment reservation

We will be doing our first O-class cruise, thus it will be the first time we will prebook specialty restaurants and entertainment. Simple enough I know, but we will traveling with my parents and we will be linking the reservations for some of these events. So the questions are:

Do both parties have to book separately?

Do both parties need to link the other party?

I went through the reservation process for chops and I saw where I would add my parents and was able to "check" both of there names. Will they have to do the same thing and add us? Or will they get some type of notification?

If I wanted, would I be able to pay for their dinnerfrom the reservation page?

Thanks

Just a heads up for anyone stumbling upon this later, when making a reservation via Cruise Planner (dining, shore excursion, entertainment, etc), when they ask how many in your party, you stipulate how many and then there is an option to add guests from another reservation.

You will need their last name and reservation number in order to do this.

Just a heads up for anyone stumbling upon this later, when making a reservation via Cruise Planner (dining, shore excursion, entertainment, etc), when they ask how many in your party, you stipulate how many and then there is an option to add guests from another reservation.

Also note that for dining reservations, if you have children you'll have to pay the full adult price online and then have them correct it when you get onboard, as the online system doesn't allow you to select children's pricing.  I made the reservations online anyway just to secure the time I wanted, and then the refund was like a little onboard credit bonus. :)

If our reservations our linked do we still need the reservation numbers?

Also note that for dining reservations, if you have children you'll have to pay the full adult price online and then have them correct it when you get onboard, as the online system doesn't allow you to select children's pricing. I made the reservations online anyway just to secure the time I wanted, and then the refund was like a little onboard credit bonus. :)

I've done this, too, but it sometimes doesn't go as smoothly as it should. Now, I just add my son to our pre booked reservations once we get onboard. We've also opted for the dining package on our next cruise which requires you to add children once you get onboard.

If our reservations our linked do we still need the reservation numbers?

I believe so, but not 100% certain.

Also note that for dining reservations, if you have children you'll have to pay the full adult price online and then have them correct it when you get onboard, as the online system doesn't allow you to select children's pricing.  I made the reservations online anyway just to secure the time I wanted, and then the refund was like a little onboard credit bonus. :)

Good point. If you have kids and are booking specialty dining, do not book them on the reservation. Leave them off and then show up with the children, that way you are not going to have to get the price adjusted.

If I add guests from another reservation, will I also need to pay for their specialty restaurant cost when making the reservation?  It looks like I can split the cost across more than one credit card, but I wonder if there is any other way to do this without gathering other people's credit card info?  For example, we have family in 4 cabins with different reservation numbers on Oasis.  If we all make reservations at the same restaurants will they seat us together since our bookings are linked?  Somehow I don't think they are smart enough to figure that out.  I guess I'm asking what is the best way to book specialty restaurants for multiple booking numbers and make sure we all sit together.

I tried to link my reservation with my friends for dining.  My friend booked thru RC and I used a travel agent.  I am not able to link our reservations.   The reason my agent gave was that she put me in a "group" booking (random, I'm not in a group) to get extra on board credit and a group discount for the cost of the cruise.  If I want to be linked with my friend, I would have to re book and lose my perks.  

Also, my friend is in a suite and her dining is complementary so she will be booking when she's on board.  I will pre book and HOPE that we will be able to sit together.  

This is our first cruise and things are starting to get a little complicated.  Thankfully I refer to this blog for EVERYTHING and it has help A LOT!

Thank you!

I would just book your reservations at the same time as your friends. When you get onboard, just go to the restaraunts and tell them that you'd like to dine together. Your friends could also make this request through the concierge once onboard.

I would just book your reservations at the same time as your friends. When you get onboard, just go to the restaraunts and tell them that you'd like to dine together. Your friends could also make this request through the concierge once onboard.

I agree. Having linked reservations is largely overrated.  Nice to have, but I wouldn't change what you have booked just for it.

Kris' recommendations are what I would do.

I'm pretty sure you said something similar in the podcast this week, although it was related to each couple having booked under different currencies.

Correct.  I've never tried that particular scenario, but I have had good luck with adding people from other reservations in Cruise Planner.