entrees at specialty dining

Tammy H.

2 minutes ago, Tammy H. said:

Can you get more than 1 entrée at the specialty dining like you can in the dining room?  Or would you have to pay extra

This is a very controversial question at the moment.  Traditionally, the answer has been "no"...that you could have as many appetizers, side dishes and desserts that you want, but only 1 entree.  Then, Royal came along with the Unlimited Dining Package and touted it as "eat as much as and as often as you want".  The ships quickly pushed back on that, however, and have made the rules for the UDP very confusing and ship/venue-specific.  I think the answer to your question is still "no" but I don't think anyone truly knows the FINAL and true answer to that question.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This is a very controversial question at the moment.  Traditionally, the answer has been "no"...that you could have as many appetizers, side dishes and desserts that you want, but only 1 entree.  Then, Royal came along with the Unlimited Dining Package and touted it as "eat as much as and as often as you want".  The ships quickly pushed back on that, however, and have made the rules for the UDP very confusing and ship/venue-specific.  I think the answer to your question is still "no" but I don't think anyone truly knows the FINAL and true answer to that question.

I think multiple appetizers sounds like a good deal to me.  I think it would be great to try a few entrees, like a sampler platter.  There are so many things I would like to try, but I dont think I could eat them all in one sitting without making myself miserable.  Full size of each entree would be too much.  I would like to try the Duck Duo and Lamb Wellington at 150 Central Park in one sitting.  There are several others to list but I am not going to, we get the point.  All i can think to do is ask when we order, the worst they are going to do is tell me no and I will have to settle for 1 dish and not two.  

1 hour ago, DublinFC said:

I think multiple appetizers sounds like a good deal to me.  I think it would be great to try a few entrees, like a sampler platter.  There are so many things I would like to try, but I dont think I could eat them all in one sitting without making myself miserable.  Full size of each entree would be too much.  I would like to try the Duck Duo and Lamb Wellington at 150 Central Park in one sitting.  There are several others to list but I am not going to, we get the point.  All i can think to do is ask when we order, the worst they are going to do is tell me no and I will have to settle for 1 dish and not two.  

Eat 1 Entree, wait and hour and go back....

12 minutes ago, panda123 said:

Eat 1 Entree, wait and hour and go back....

Funny, but I had thought about something like this back when they first announced the new "rules" of the unlimited plan.  What is to keep someone from going to Playmakers, eating their $25 (or whatever it is) worth, closing out the ticket, waiting 5 minutes and then opening a new ticket ?  Personally,  I don't think it's worth all of that hassle but I'm sure some people will try to do whatever they can to bend the rules.

How much do you need to eat?

Not sure why people have a fixation on getting multiple entrees (or Main Courses as they are known everywhere except the US)?

If you're really hungry, you can have two appetisers, multiple sides, and three desserts. Add in one main course, and that should satisfy anyone. If you're still hungry,  head up to the Windjammer for a second meal.

Personally, I think anyone that complains they don't get enough food on a RC cruise is either a greedy moose, or a complete miser trying to get everything they can for their money. I've never heard of any cases of passengers starving on cruise ships..

7 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

I'm so confused by this statement. The ships are an entity of Royal Caribbean, are they not? I can't imagine each ship is operated as their own profit center requiring cuts to please the ownership. 

Actually, that's exactly what happens.  Each ship is a separate profit/cost center and has ultimate control of how they implement and price their onboard revenue generation.  That's why so many of the programs are so inconsistently implemented throughout the fleet.  It seems completely counter intuitive that Corporate would create and deploy a new "program" and then let the ships decide how to run them, but that's exactly what happens.

4 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Actually, that's exactly what happens.  Each ship is a separate profit/cost center and has ultimate control of how they implement and price their onboard revenue generation.  That's why so many of the programs are so inconsistently implemented throughout the fleet.  It seems completely counter intuitive that Corporate would create and deploy a new "program" and then let the ships decide how to run them, but that's exactly what happens.

Wow, that's a crap way to run a company in my book. But it explains a lot. 

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 10:31 AM, Balsam said:

How much do you need to eat?

Not sure why people have a fixation on getting multiple entrees (or Main Courses as they are known everywhere except the US)?

If you're really hungry, you can have two appetisers, multiple sides, and three desserts. Add in one main course, and that should satisfy anyone. If you're still hungry,  head up to the Windjammer for a second meal.

Personally, I think anyone that complains they don't get enough food on a RC cruise is either a greedy moose, or a complete miser trying to get everything they can for their money. I've never heard of any cases of passengers starving on cruise ships..

I was thinking more along the lines of trying a new entrée and if I didn't like it, would I be able to get a different one.

It really depends on your server ....... we were just on Harmony 1/19-26 and ...... all 3 of the nights that we ate at 150 Central Park with the UDP our server (who we tipped well and asked for every night after the first)  insisted on bringing out an extra entree each night for us “to try” ..... he actually would have brought 2 extra entrees each night but we said please no lol

20 hours ago, Tammy H. said:

I was thinking more along the lines of trying a new entrée and if I didn't like it, would I be able to get a different one.

This is absolutely never a problem.  As an adventurous eater by nature, one of my favorite perks of cruising is getting to try foods I might not ordinarily be drawn to without the financial commitment.  I've had many happy surprises and a few misses, but the crew has never once batted an eyelash if I informed them that I didn't like something and would like to have something else.  Pro tip: if I am trying something new, I inform the waiter as I'm ordering it.  Without fail he or she will then check in soon after the dish is delivered to make sure I am enjoying it.  It allows them the opportunity to keep service moving efficiently and prevents you from sitting there with a plate full of food you don't like while everyone else is starting their meal. ?

On 1/30/2020 at 10:15 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

It's no different on land. The company I work for, as a lot of companies do, have thousands of different locations around the world and each one has its own P&L and bottom line profit plans. The parent companies success depends on the individual "locations" expense controls.