Alcohol on embarkation

Angieb

Hi this is my first post. Not sure if anyone can answer but here goes. I am sailing on Ovation of the seas from Hawaii to Sydney in September. I understand that I can carry on two bottles of wine but what I would like to know if it is possible to have a bottle of vodka and hand it over on check in and then get it back at the end of the cruise. I have spoken to two different people at Royal and they both said yes but when I looked up the rules it said any alcohol would be confiscated and not returned. Does any one know which is correct. Thank you 

4 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Unfortunately, alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned

I'm not so sure about this.

Maybe the difference is in the word "seized"?

Our last trip was from Australia to the UK, then to Singapore and a cruise to Hong Kong, finally flying home to Australia.

In the UK, I got a great deal on two bottles of single malt scotch that were half the price I would pay in Australia. I took them to Singapore as they were within the duty free that was permitted. When we boarded Voyager, I had them in a separate shopping bag that went through the xray machine. Security immediately pounced on the bottles and myself. My response was that I knew they were not allowed, hence having them in a separate bag and being very obvious about it. They then took me to the desk where I surrendered the bottles and received a receipt for them, and was told I could collect them at the end of the cruise.

On the last night, when we returned to our cabin, the two bottles were sitting on the bed in the same bag.

Based on that experience, if you want to take alcohol onboard that you know is not allowed, as long as you surrender it on embarkation, there won't be an issue.

Basically, it comes down to "Do the right thing and there won't be a problem". Try to smuggle it aboard or be sneaky, and you may well lose your booze...

1 minute ago, Balsam said:

Please explain....

The OP was talking about the exact situation I was in. Not trying to do anything dodgy.

I really don't think they would have an issue as long as they declared the vodka on boarding.

I don't think there is anything "dodgy" about taking booze aboard. Rum Runners is a way to do that without jumping through all the hoops or kowtowing to their arbitrary rules.

2 hours ago, mac66 said:

Two words....Rum Runners

OP isn't looking to drink the vodka on the ship. Rather, they want to purchase and bring it home.

2 years ago my brother brought beer onboard at embarkation (I think he read the DCL embarkation rules or something). They took the beer, gave him a receipt, and returned it on the last night. We ended up drinking warm beer that night.

3 hours ago, KWong said:

OP isn't looking to drink the vodka on the ship. Rather, they want to purchase and bring it home.

2 years ago my brother brought beer onboard at embarkation (I think he read the DCL embarkation rules or something). They took the beer, gave him a receipt, and returned it on the last night. We ended up drinking warm beer that night.

I got that. I was suggesting bypassing the jumping through hoops and just bring it.

55 minutes ago, mac66 said:

I got that. I was suggesting bypassing the jumping through hoops and just bring it.

OK, fair enough. In that context, I kind of feel like it creates more complications than there needs to be, but it's something to consider.

9 hours ago, mac66 said:

I don't think there is anything "dodgy" about taking booze aboard. Rum Runners is a way to do that without jumping through all the hoops or kowtowing to their arbitrary rules.

Nothing dodgy about smuggling booze onboard in a disguised container, when you know it's not permitted?

Of course not.