Grandeur of the Seas - First cruise

SLPS

2 hours ago, JSECKR6 said:

Going on my first cruise, other than 4 day Disney. Looking for recommendations about packages (pros/cons). Also, if there are any other suggestions/recommendations I should think about.

You are going to have a wonderful time!! I have yet to be on the Grandeur, but I have heard wonderful things about it and how friendly the crew are and it is an intimate and very outstanding customer service ship. Which packages are you looking at; dining, beverage? It may depend on who is sailing with you. I usually sail solo, so the buy one get one half packages do not help me. I do the deluxe beverage and voom package each time. I am about to take my first cruise as a Diamond level, and although I will get the free drinks during happy hour, I may still do the package. I am not a big drinker, but I like the idea of trying different things and since already paid for, no guilt in finishing it. I have calculated the price each day and it has always paid off substantially. I get like 3-4 water bottles each day, fruit smoothie each morning, specialty teas, soda and at dinner, my server last cruise made sure I tried all the different wines available, even if just to try and had a full glass ready for the my favorite ones. I think would end the meal with an espresso and kaluah, only a bit of it, but was nice. I could take a drink to the cabin or try something funky. You could get a glass of wine and dress up dinner in the Windjammer...which leads to the dining package. I have not done them, but they could be a good deal. I like the main dining room. The meal may be better in the specialty restaurants, but I really like the experience of having the same wait team in the main dining room and table mates if you have them. I may do the buy one night, get another free night one this time, just to give it a shot. I would not recommend to many specialty dinners on your first non Disney cruise since it will take away from the main dining experience, but if it something that you like, go for it. I need to be able to call my mother each day so she doesn’t call the Coast Guard as well as be available to the office in case there is a real emergency or crisis, so I get the voom attached to the drink package. If you are going to use the internet it will be making calls, it is a good thing to have and a better deal if attached to a different package. ... Have an incredible time!!

We sailed on Grandeur twice, April 2019 and September 2019. Going again in April 2020.

First, don't over pack.

If possible, arrive in the area the day before.

Get to the Port by 10:30

If you like to drink, buy the package now

There is so much good food included, we never considered the dining package

If you like to gamble, bring plenty of cash

If you smoke cigarettes they sell cartons cheap ( once you get out of port )

Check out the cruise compass every day

But the most important thing is ENJOY YOURSELF

On 1/26/2020 at 11:00 AM, JSECKR6 said:

Going on my first cruise, other than 4 day Disney. Looking for recommendations about packages (pros/cons). Also, if there are any other suggestions/recommendations I should think about.

We've used the soda package before, as my wife doesn't drink much but ordering a soda helps keep our table when we are dancing!