Puerto Rico & Cruise planner

Going on my first cruise in 18 years ? . We are booked for Jan 10 2021 to the Southern Caribbean aboard Freedom of the Seas. The boat departs out of San Juan and I'm nervous about the information I've read regarding Royal Caribbean and that particular port not doing business for now. Anyone know anything about that? My second question is on the cruise planner I can't view any packages...is it too early? 

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Welcome to the forum!!

It's too early. I wouldn't worry about San Juan - everything has been running per normal there.  Congrats on coming back to the cruise world!

I tend to agree with you about San Juan, but I am getting concerned that currently in the Summer of 2021 the only ship scheduled (on Cruisetimetables.com) weekly from San Juan is the Carnival Fascination.  The Freedom is back there in November 2021, and I didn't look to see where the NCL Epic is next Summer, but there is some concern there.

I haven't been everywhere, but San Juan is the ultimate home port for me, and I would consider it a major blow to cruising should it cease to exist as a viable option.

San Juan is still in business and anyone booked on a 2021 cruise from there shouldn't worry about anything.  

Many cruise lines have adjusted their ship home ports as they always do from time to time.  Freedom is going to Cape Liberty for a summer to give folks in the greater NYC area a chance to sail on this recently amplified ship.  Other cruise lines may be making similar adjustments. 

Cruise lines continually optimize ship schedules and place ships where demand is highest so they can increase revenue.  All cruise lines are businesses that will make changes from time to time in response to changing market conditions.

With the port of San Juan shifting to privatization costs are changing for cruise lines to operate from there.  That may have played a factor in the business model that determines where ships should be homeported.   In the winter months it appears to remain a viable home port compared to other options but perhaps with the changing ports fees it no longer is a viable summer home port.   

It will take more than one year of future itineraries to know how this play out in the long term.  Three or five years from now we'll know a lot more.