Symphony of the Seas - an island is an island is an island? (Feb 22 - 29, 2020)

SpeedNoodles

Since we’re officially 4 weeks away from our cruise I thought it was an appropriate time to start the blog? (No? Meh, I’m going with it anyway).

I never expected to book a cruise like this with Mr SpeedNoodles.  He’s more into the “culturally enriching and/or scenic” sort of cruises.  He wasn’t really thrilled about booking a cruise to the Caribbean because “they’re just islands - what is there to see that’s different from the next island?”.  Plus, he’s a small-ship guy.  He likes being able to walk around that outside Promenade level and visiting the helipad.  He likes that connection to the sea.

Honestly, since I’ve never been to the Caribbean myself so I couldn’t really negate his impressions. I have no idea myself.  My two, short, warm-weather cruises were to Nassau/Coco Cay.  

So how did we end up booking this? Well, a year and a half ago, we had our Alaskan cruise booked on Ovation for June 2019. We hadn’t taken a cruise, or any vacation that didn’t involve showing dogs, in ten years (pet sitters are hard to come by). But we finally secured one, and we had quite the trip planned.  We were going to drive to Seattle, spending 2-3 days in Yellowstone (we had the historic Yellowstone Inn booked), and then we were going to spend about 4-5 days exploring the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State, where we plan to retire, before we boarded Ovation for our 7-night Alaskan cruise.

But things happen, and in September of 2018 my husband slipped on a wet floor at a business and tore his quadricep.  He was out of work for 4 months after his surgery, which ate up a significant portion of his PTO that he had saved for the trip.  We decided that we couldn’t pull off the 3-week trip, and would have to fly to Seattle if we wanted to still go (note: Mr SpeedNoodles is terrified of flying - serious druggage is necessary to accomplish a flight).  So MY thought process was that we could use the money we were saving by shortening our trip to Seattle to book a winter Caribbean cruise! #speednoodleslogic.  I threw the idea out there at him, expecting him to poo poo it, and to my great surprise he just said yes! HOLY CRAP!  I emailed @michelle at MEI and quickly booked Symphony before he could change his mind. 

During the 13+ month span of time since I booked the cruise I’ve been exposing him here and there with Royal Caribbean Blog podcasts (as well as the Cruise Tips TV Unplugged podcast), live YouTube and Facebook chats, etc etc.  After the Ovation cruise, he was even more excited about Symphony.  Planning. Could. Begin.

Itinerary
Miami - Sea Day - Sea Day - St. Maarten  -  San Juan, PR - Sea Day - Coco Cay - Miami

Pre-cruise hotel: Kimpton Epic

What have we booked onboard? We went all out on our first Oasis-class ship.
Unlimited Beverage Package ($18 intern special, TYVM)
Unlimited Dining Package
All Access Ship Tour
Escape Room
The Key

Excursions? You betcha!!! (#OfficialMinnesotaTerminology)
St. Maarten - 3rd party ATV tour
San Juan - ATV tour booked through Royal Caribbean (this one should be very special to me and later I’ll tell you why!)
Nothing special on Coco Key - Mr. Speednoodles’ plan is to snorkel, eat crispy chicken sandwich, snorkel, eat crispy chicken sandwich, repeat. I'll do some of the same with breaks to find the chickens and iguanas (I believe we are now on a first-name basis).

This cruise is actually ending up being a sort of celebration.  Immediately upon our return I’ll be starting my new job - I’ve been promoted to supervisor!  I’m very excited (for many reasons, not least of which it is much easier to get PTO approved at that level!!)

Ugh, the waiting is the hardest part (or so said Mr. Petty).  I want to pack and go NOW!!!!!

(Shameless Fezzik photo, just because).

fezz.thumb.jpg.f422a2cb34bbcb826465713fa0c49e1c.jpg

6 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Congrats, and glad to know your husband is better. Torn quadricep?!? OWIEEEEE!

So if that one is Fezzik, where are Inigo and Vizzini hiding? Or do you instead have Westley and Buttercup? ? 

LOL, actually he's the only one named from the movie.  It just fit him  - he's big, and super sweet, and sometimes not as smart as he should be. And when my husband was 5 years old, he was at a wrestling match in St. Paul, MN and Andre The Giant  put his hand on his head.  Or rather it enveloped his head. It made quite an impression on him. He's been a fan ever since.

Ugh, the waiting is HORRIBLE!!  It's too early to pack, but I've done all of the prep that I can do, so I'm just in limbo.  I check my Cruise Planner 3 times a day to see if there is anything I missed (I didn't), but I feel like I should be DOING something.  TICK TICK TICK.

#firstworldproblems

I had a moment of panic that woke me out of my sleep this morning - flight leaves at 6:40am - gotta be out of the house by 5:00am - pet sitter shows up around 6:00pm - dog bladders not agreeing with that math.  I had to make a mad scramble to find someone who could swing by and let them out mid morning (someone who can handle canine chaos, because that's what it is here).  The choices are few!

• 2 weeks later...

Single digit dance!!! The weather sucks today. We don't typically get this kind of cold so late in February. The wind chill has dipped under -20F.

I'm on my 4-day weekend, and I only have two more nights of work before we go. Sunday and Monday. Oh, and I requested Monday off because it's guaranteed to be the LONGEST 10-hour shift OF MY LIFE. I should know soon if it's been approved. TICK, TICK, TICK

Screenshot_20200213-083200_Chrome.jpg.5eef7b27c10bc699dd166e01f4bf51fd.jpg

1200312158_Screenshot_20200213-083224_GrumpyWeather.thumb.jpg.4d8a31db9b5a81f32bec6233c995c968.jpg

4 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

The weather sucks today. We don't typically get this kind of cold so late in February. The wind chill has dipped under -20F.

I went to college at the U of M-Twin Cities.  I always tell everyone about the coldest day I ever experienced while I was there....it was an unofficial J term (They didn't have J terms but my program did.) and the temperature was around -19 but the windchill was -54.  I was walking from the bus stop back to my apartment when my eye started to tear up then it froze shut!  It was a little scary but I was close to home and heat so I managed.  Brrrrr.  But the memories from college were THE BEST!

On 1/25/2020 at 6:44 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

What have we booked onboard? We went all out on our first Oasis-class ship.
Unlimited Beverage Package ($18 intern special, TYVM)
Unlimited Dining Package
All Access Ship Tour
Escape Room
The Key

I was just wondering, what this $18/pp/pd intern special deluxe beverage package deal is that I keep seeing everyone talking about? Just curious.

25 minutes ago, alexacruise said:

I was just wondering, what this $18/pp/pd intern special deluxe beverage package deal is that I keep seeing everyone talking about? Just curious.

One day, for several hours, the price for the Deluxe Beverage Package was listed (erroneously) at $18.  Word got around quickly, and people jumped on it  before Royal was able to correct it.  The joke was that the "intern" must have screwed up.  I was able to snag it for 2 cruises (this one, and the upcoming Brilliance Group Cruise in Oct https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/event/royalcaribbeanblogcom-cruise-aboard-brilliance-of-the-seas).  Royal was gracious and honored the price for everyone who got lucky!

I'm officially ON VACATION!!!!   I worked my last overnight (dog) shift last night and my last night as a 911 dispatcher .... it crawled along for the most part.  Now I have 2 1/2 days to get house and hounds ready for our pet sitter, and to get us packed.  The weather away from here is looking like it's going to be pretty good, except when we leave.  5 degrees? REALLY?  I do NOT want to drag a winter coat with me to Miami, to the ship, and back.  This is BS.  I'm going to FREEZE  in the Uber.  I want to talk to the weather manager.

Speaking of wanting to file a grievance, the first hound to be bathed has some issues with this entire process.  (i.e. the princess is NOT happy).  I'm sure the boys will feel the same way.

1258171135_PogoBath.thumb.jpg.cd9db8c9d11704c024793a8047e56024.jpg

8 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@SpeedNoodles Well he posed for the picture, so you really must have dampened his spirit and he wanted proof of what you did. Congrats on the last shift and getting to live in the sun. I worked overnights for 2 years as a manager and it nearly ruined my life....I couldn't have one because I slept during the day.

It’s been ten years for me.  I’m only guaranteed the new shift through January, but the break will be nice. 

Just now, Ampurp85 said:

@SpeedNoodles Thanks, unfortunately he passed last year. Its still too soon to have another baby but I already have Senator Meowkin's picked out for their name.

I'm so sorry.  I know how painful it is to lose those furred family members. I like that name, too, though!

My cat, Cloudy, is being "helpful" and being very "cat" and sitting in, and on, every suitcase or packing cube that I set out to attempt to pack.

41 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@SpeedNoodles Yeah dogs forget everything as soon as treats come, try that with a cat. Professor Atticus never let me forget when I gave him a bath, if looks could kill.

I have 2 Meow's that are terrible and 1 Big Boy named Troll that loves a good bath, every Friday in fact. Loves it! It is crazy.

4 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

@panda123 Troll is an awesome dog name.

Only he is a cat, lol. We call him Troll cause he lived under our steps and demanded treats when we went outside, lol. He was 16 lbs when we took him in Jan 2018, (that week long -25 outside), he is a solid mass of 24 lbs now, like a line backer, but a sweetheart. 

I was up at the crack of dawn, a.k.a. 8:30 (ok, you haters, that's EARLY for me! I'm still on night-shift time!) to get the rest of the house ready and to PACK!  We leave early tomorrow morning (yay!).  The dogs know something's up and the kiddo (#TheFezz) was heckin' clingy.  We had everything done, ready to go, bags by the door - Mr. SpeedNoodles was ready to head up to get some early shut eye, when halfway up the stairs he slowly turns, looks at me, and said "did I give you my underwear and socks?"  Ummmm, no? BWAHAHAHA - we NEARLY left without his underwear and socks !!!!!!! Good grief.

We'll be up at 0330 to get our butts to the airport.  Almost 19 Sun Country flights leave Mpls International Terminal between 6am-7:30am (and it's the small terminal).  Check in is usually a zoo so we need to give ourselves plenty of time.  

20200219_135754.thumb.jpg.4ae1056a1e2b3e8ee21f71d76d63db06.jpg

#TheFezz giving me the evil eye after I brought the bags up.

We're here in Miami!!!!

We've been having a fabulous time in Miami. It's my third time here, and Mr Speednoodles' first time.  While I'm in charge of cruise planning, he's always in charge of pre-cruise planning (hotels, food, activities).  He did a fabulous job.

Our Sun Country flight left Mpls/St Paul  International an hour late (we really don't know why - they told us that we'd be leaving early and then sat at the gate for an extra hour with no explanation).  It was fine. Other than being wedged into a middle seat, it wasn't a big deal.  Mr SpeedNoodles was appropriately dosed with Xanex and deeply buried in a movie that he'd downloaded on Netflix.

We still hit Miami by about 11:30, and by some stroke of luck our luggage was the first onto the belt, so we hauled butt out to the rideshare area to secure our Lyft before the crowds descended.  Within 10 minutes we were off to the Kimpton Epic. (For pics of the Kimpton, refer to my Navigator blog - I was able to get many photos on that trip: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/16871-navigator-911-hits-the-high-seas-dec-2-dec-6-2019/).

We arrived at the Kimpton by 12:30.  Our room wasn't ready, so we stowed our luggage, made a quick change from Minnesota layers to Miami shorts, and hailed another Lyft to make our first culinary visit -  We. Were. Hungry. !!!!!

Mr. SpeedNoodles had been drooling over this place for about 3 months now, so we Lyfted ourselves over to Little Havana to have lunch at La Camarona Seafood Market.  Recently it was just that, a seafood market, but not too long ago they'd taken a sledgehammer to a wall (that's literally how it still looks) and expanded into a dining section.

20200220_142410.thumb.jpg.15241f698dfacba41f847cf51201a9d3.jpg      20200220_135618.thumb.jpg.69377ad9a9f534ef7ea1823625372330.jpg

We were jonesing to get a fried snapper sandwich and we were NOT disappointed.  The service was speedy and friendly - the food was awesome.  It will now be a regular stop for us when in Miami.  We started with a shrimp empananda (which we ate so quickly that I neglected to get a photo #badblogger), followed with some A-MAZE-ING fried shrimp and we both had the snapper sandwich.

Fried Shrimp     Snapper Sandwich

After lunch we hailed another Lyft and weaved our way over to the Wynwood area to grab a beer, some alligator bites at Kush, and wander around looking at the urban graffiti.  My photography devotion was seriously lacking (beyond food and drink), so I didn't get a lot of photos of the artwork.  Some of it was absolutely spectacular.   More than once I tripped over one of the thousands of rental scooter parked absolutely everywhere while ogling the beautiful walls.

Being absolutely overstuffed, and deciding that one, or both, of us would surely kill or maim ourselves by trying to ride a scooter back to the hotel (and believe me, we seriously considered it after a few fairly strong beers at Kush) we called another Lyft to haul us back to the Kimpton to get ready for.....dinner.  (Is there a theme here? I'm sensing one.)

Anthony Bourdain wall art

Tripping obstacles / danger wheels

Triple IPA and Mango Wit

20200220_151627.thumb.jpg.d44bf68ec8401fb651ab56862d4548e5.jpg

Alligator Bites

20200220_161715.thumb.jpg.7a9ebd4bc036ac0ab950fe3325eb2db8.jpg\

20200220_161722.thumb.jpg.4bbbb1ae7f7d4f313b78ecfef1d7a8c5.jpg

Kimpton Epic has a small wine bar available from 5pm-6pm, so we grabbed a glass and headed up for a much-needed shower.   Our plan was to go to Joe's Stone Crab on South Beach for dinner.  We decided on Thursday because we read (on their website) that it's very crowded on Friday and Saturday, and get there before 7pm or there will be quite a wait.  Well, our plan was to be there at 6pm.  Guess when we arrived?

At 7pm sharp we put my name on the waiting list - they do not take reservations or bribes (as if we could out-bribe anyone on South Beach!! BWWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!). The promised to seat us within (ready????) 2 hours.  Well, we came all this way, we've been planning on it for months, and we had plenty of lunch and snacks to tide us over.  We found a spot at a drink rail and prepared to wait "within 2 hours".  After 45 minutes I wandered off to the ladies room and came back to find Mr SpeedNoodles had given my chair to some woman!! THE NERVE!  I walk up and he says "hey, these folks are from Northfield, MN!" (guys, literally not 20 minutes from our house).  So 1700 miles away from home and we end up chatting with what are, for more or less, neighbors!  It was a mom and her two college-aged daughters spending some time in Miami together.  We had a lovely time, and wished they'd been booked on Symphony as well.

20200220_185740.thumb.jpg.b7505cc55399e785f9efe6ed6358c117.jpg

After 1:40 minutes my name was called (cheers all around - literally, the entire bar cheered every time someone's name was called) and we were seated.  I don't know how many people they put through there every night, but the dining room is enormous and they were still rotating people in regularly at 10pm.  It is an absolute machine.  Every single person, from host, to waiters, to bus folks, were working their a**es off.  They never rushed anyone through a meal, but the millisecond they vacated a table, it was cleaned to perfection and reset in less than a minute. It was amazing to watch.  Mr SpeedNoodles got the Joe's Classic Meal (Stone Crabs, sides, and Key Lime Pie) and I got the Cold Trio (Stone crabs, 1/2 lobster and King Crab).  This was the night that I learned that I wasn't a fan of cold seafood.  An expensive lesson, to be sure.  I found it annoyingly cold, without drawn butter, and without the flavor I'm used to on each species.  That being said, I simply didn't know that I didn't like cold seafood before this, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.  Mr SpeedNoodles loved his (and the Key Lime Pie and unique cole slaw was pretty amazing) and I found the entire spectacle worth trying once.  I'd even go back again, arriving closer to the 6pm hour, and just ordering something else.  They have a great business philosophy.

Cold Trio             Joe's Classic

We caught or 5th (that's right, FIFTH) Lyft of the day to get back across to the Kimpton and passed out (neither of us were able to get any sleep the night before, so it'd been quite a while since either of us had slept).