Carry-on Bags

Thecatlady

16 minutes ago, Tigerlaw said:

Are we talkin carry on shoulder bag car carry on as in airport suitcase? I have a trip next month and would like to know if a lot of people just use their carry on Airport luggage for the first day of the cruise?

airplane and cruise are 2 seperate setups. I pack first for the flight as normal, then make a few changes at the hotel before heading to the port. Take my snacks and reading material out and put in swimwear, sunblock, wine, electronics, cruise paperwork and a small toiletries bag and medications. I purchase wine after the flight and my wife buys hair product if we are doing carry on only on the plane. Wifey doesn't use the mystery soap and the 3 or 4 ounces allowed on a plane of hair product isn't close to enough to get her through the week

oh... this stuff i keep on the cruise on day 1 is usually done in 1 or 2 backpacks that the wife and I lug on. everything else goes to the porters to be brought to the stateroom in a few hours

44 minutes ago, DandA said:

I carry on my camera/kindel/computer in a backpack and medicine/papers/swimwear/change of clothes in a rolling carry on size suitcase.

This is what i should have asked. There will be people using a rolling carry on size suitcase so I won't feel stupid on day one using a roller case.

6 minutes ago, Tigerlaw said:

This is what i should have asked. There will be people using a rolling carry on size suitcase so I won't feel stupid on day one using a roller case.

You won't be the only one, some will be carrying on much more, rooms won't be ready till around 1 pm.  We normally  drag our bags to get something to eat and then find a place to have a drink until the rooms are open.  Did do the hot tubs once before the room was open just put our bags on a chair.

39 minutes ago, Tigerlaw said:

I won a really nice rolling carry on suit case (Briggs & Riley) in a sweepstakes not too long ago... so I will definitely be using it LOL  Its really all about how much you want to tote around. I usually bring 2 carry bags- one with my purse an important stuff and another with a change of clothes, etc. It only becomes tough when the person you are with wants to use the stairs instead of the elevator- like my person did last time LOL I got my work out on that last cruise without even trying! ?

51 minutes ago, Tigerlaw said:

There will be lots of people packing around luggage on embarkation day until 1pm when the rooms open. Some people don't even use the porters and choose to drag their luggage around themselves until their room is open. If you choose to do this you won't be the only one, but i  think it's completely unnecessary. A roller bag is totally normal though 

4 hours ago, JasonL said:

There will be lots of people packing around luggage on embarkation day until 1pm when the rooms open. Some people don't even use the porters and choose to drag their luggage around themselves until their room is open. If you choose to do this you won't be the only one, but i  think it's completely unnecessary. A roller bag is totally normal though 

I saw that on my last cruise as well. Not what I would do, but to each their own.

For us, we carry our electronics on with us, as well as swimwear, wine and the 12 non-alcoholic bottles of stuff. That generally amounts to 2 backpacks and a rolling carry on bag. A little bulky, but manageable for the few hours we have to lug the stuff around.

Depending on your CPAP machine, it can fit in a normal size duffel bag. We also kept our tuxes for formal night in there, so as to get them out and hanging right away. But as others have said, things that you can't live without or are too high value to leave in checked luggage should go in a carry on.

16 hours ago, Thecatlady said:

What does everyone pack in their cruise carry-on bag, besides cruise documents and passport?

Any recommendations for a carry-on bag?  I do need to bring my CPAP, I'm hoping I can find one big enough to pack my CPAP bag in it.

Thank you all in advance!!

I concur with all of the above with one comment:  If I don't wear long pants on the ship, I pack a pair of dockers so I have long pants for the Main Dining Room  I sometimes don't get my suitcase until after dinner (we opt for early seating traditional dining).  My carry on is a back pack (intermediate size).

I am one of those people that bring everything on board with them in hand. I typically travel solo, so it is an extra bit of a challenge, but I manage. I prefer to have everything with me and as soon as I can get into my cabin, I do and unpack right away (as well as wipe down parts of the room with Clorox wipeys) and check out the Compass. Thus, I can begin to relax and not worry about my luggage or unpacking later, etc. I use only rolling luggage, my purse and garment bag. If you do only want to take the carry on, I recommend your evening outfit, ID, cash and/or cards, important documents and jewelry, any meds, (drinks if you have them), bathing suit, night clothes and any essential you would need for dinner or first night in case luggage is late or lost until very late. 

Everyone has their priorities ...

My and my wife's carry on is a book bag style back pack. It doubles as an on shore excursion bag for whatever adventure we take.

Who know what my wife puts in hers ... lady stuff I guess.

I carry documentation, keys, camera, and between the two back packs, two or three bottles of water each, sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, meds if needed, a bathing suit if you plan on some pool time.

I don't think you really need much else.

Last cruise we also hand carried a wine tote. This is a small bag made specifically to hold two bottles of wine, corkscrew and a couple of glasses (plastic) if you like. After carrying it on board, we never opened one bottle and ended up carrying it back home. I doubt we will bother with the wine next time. Diamond status took care of about 95% of the alcohol consumption we care for. The other 5% is maybe a frozen drink by a pool during the day or a local beer in port.

We do drink a lot of water. Carrying the limit of 12 bottles on board is a chore. Carrying 4-6 bottles between two people is not so bad. There are plenty of places around ship you can refill a travel cup with water. Empty plastic bottles can be refilled as well for excursions. I have seen some people with lightweight collapsible dolly's pulling around a case of water during boarding. That is still cumbersome to me.

The over view goes something like this:

About 10am is as early as you will board. Rooms open at 1 pm. That is only 3 hours. During that three hours you will probably have lunch. You will probably want to walk around the ship and sight see a bit including around the upper decks to take some pictures and so on. You just used up about 2 of those 3 hours. You may be tired of lugging those bags around and may want find a place to sit and people watch or sample a pool. By then the room will be open and with a little luck, your bag will be there waiting for you.

Just how much do you really have to have for those three hours? How much do you really want to lug around. Carrying wine and water on board is the bulk of it.The odds of any of your bags being lost from port side to room are slim. I did have a mix up one time that made one bag late to the room, about 9 or 10 pm but that has been rare. As long as you don't have any contraband irons or power strips in your checked bags, you should be fine.

Like I said ... everyone has their priorities. I like to balance my carry on some where between being ready to run a 5k and being a pack mule.

On 1/26/2020 at 9:40 AM, JSECKR6 said:

Does a CPAP need to fit into your carry on or can it be separate? I plan to bring my two bottles of wine and 12 bottles of bottled water.

Trying to plan carry on for extra clothes, camera and those items too.

We managed to fit a CPAP in a carry on with clothes in the same bag too, but it depends on the size of the carry on. Fortunately, RC not really fussy about how much stuff you put in your carry on. Airlines are a little different...