Recommendations/ Must try

I’d love to amass a list of recommended/ favorite dishes for places on board the ships! I’ve been gleaning comments from threads here and there so far.

I love to try new foods and drinks and would love to hear your favorites and attempt to try them all! Hopefully others can do the same!

So far I’ve seen people recommend the mushroom fettuccine at Jamie’s, the world dessert from Wonderland, Italian hot dogs from the hot dog places, hibachi from Izumis, the football helmet Dessert from playmakers, seafood tower from chops, filet from CK, Bahama mama and cucumber martini from the bars! 

What are your must try or most memorable dishes from any of the places on board the ship? Item/ ship/ and the places to get it please!

1 minute ago, Grabthars Hammer said:

I think I’ve read that the red velvet cake is something definitely not to be missed on the Liberty! Not sure if it’s the same cake on other ships but pretty sure it was a Liberty blog.

Thanks for the tip.  Red Velvet is one of my favorites.  Do you recall if it was a dessert offered in the Main Dining Room?

47 minutes ago, Grabthars Hammer said:

I think I’ve read that the red velvet cake is something definitely not to be missed on the Liberty! Not sure if it’s the same cake on other ships but pretty sure it was a Liberty blog.

While the pink cake they call "red velvet" is reasonably tasty, it is NOT Red Velvet Cake. Not enough buttermilk or cocoa in their recipe, IMO.

1 hour ago, Grabthars Hammer said:

Ohh! That sounds super refreshing! I will ask for it definitely! 

Any sushi rolls in particular that were memorable to you? 

The Margarita is spicy which I crave. Not stupid but nice heat.

We took the Sushi Class and it was a blast. My wife and two sons wanted to do it and I was like OK. Couldn't have been more wrong. I'm now a Sushi eater and roller. It does cost $35 each but I couldn't finish all the Sushi we made. Many informed guests skipped breakfast in preparation, we skipped lunch. We also went to Hibachi another up-charge, and my oldest son who is a bit of a hibachi connoisseur said it was the best tasting and show he has ever seen.

Here are my favourites:

DrinksCucumber Martini (now known as the Garden martini from 150 CP), Lavender Tonic (Chops, Trellis Bar, or Schooner Bar), She's a Geisah (Izumi), Lemon Drop Martini, and any Margarita involving Patron.

Food:

CK:   Night 1: Must try the Filet Mignon!  Best on on the ship IMO (better than specialty), Pork Belly (can be better than 150 CP and way better than Giovanni's).  Night 2:  Valrhona Chocolate Bar.  Night 3:  Grilled Tofu and Braised Beef Gnocchi (this dish is perfect!).  Night 5 or 6:  Braised Short Rib, Chocolate Crunch Bar, Baked Alaska, Coconut Tapioca.  Night 7:  Cauliflower Fried Rice (under rated but amazing!)

150 CP:  Lobster Thermidor, Fried Cheesecake

Chops:  Seafood Tower, Mushroom Soup, Broiled Main Lobster, Red Velvet Cake

Izumi:  Spicy Crispy Shrimp Roll, Udon and Ramen Noodles

Jamie's:  Truffle Tagliatelle (this is the mushroom fettuccine that you heard about), Arancini, Lemon Meringue Cheesecake

Wonderland:  The World dessert

Disclaimer...Not sure which ship you are sailing but I have yet to try Portside BBQ, Playmakers, and Hooked.  

Now that I've thought about all of this, I am really hungry.  I will have to forward this list to my Genie in a few weeks! lol

1 minute ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Here are my favourites:

DrinksCucumber Martini (now known as the Garden martini from 150 CP), Lavender Tonic (Chops, Trellis Bar, or Schooner Bar), She's a Geisah (Izumi), Lemon Drop Martini, and any Margarita involving Patron.

Food:

CK:   Night 1: Must try the Filet Mignon!  Best on on the ship IMO (better than specialty), Pork Belly (can be better than 150 CP and way better than Giovanni's).  Night 2:  Valrhona Chocolate Bar.  Night 3:  Grilled Tofu and Braised Beef Gnocchi (this dish is perfect!).  Night 5 or 6:  Braised Short Rib, Chocolate Crunch Bar, Baked Alaska, Coconut Tapioca.  Night 7:  Cauliflower Fried Rice (under rated but amazing!)

150 CP:  Lobster Thermidor, Fried Cheesecake

Chops:  Seafood Tower, Mushroom Soup, Broiled Main Lobster, Red Velvet Cake

Izumi:  Spicy Crispy Shrimp Roll, Udon and Ramen Noodles

Jamie's:  Truffle Tagliatelle (this is the mushroom fettuccine that you heard about), Arancini, Lemon Meringue Cheesecake

Disclaimer...Not sure which ship you are sailing but I have yet to try Portside BBQ, Playmakers, and Hooked.  

Now that I've thought about all of this, I am really hungry.  I will have to forward this list to my Genie in a few weeks! lol

Oh wow!!! I just put so many more things on my radar to try! Thank you!!!

I‘m on Anthem but would love to know about favorites on all ships! don’t want to get off a ship and realize I missed my chance to try something! I just looooove to eat! 

1 minute ago, Grabthars Hammer said:

Yes but seems like it’s not that readily available or the best! ? I’ll have to look through more live blogs!

This is my experience with the Red Velvet Cakes...awful on the ship except for the one in Chops.  I have pics in my blog from last March.

Just now, Grabthars Hammer said:

Oh wow!!! I just put so many more things on my radar to try! Thank you!!!

I‘m on Anthem but would love to know about favorites on all ships! don’t want to get off a ship and realize I missed my chance to try something! I just looooove to eat! 

I also forgot the World dessert from Wonderland.  I know that is already on your radar but I will go back and edit anyway.

Here’s my list, and I’ve sailed on Anthem twice:

Drinks: Mango and Melon ‘Rita (only available at Boleros), Baileys on the rocks with a shot of espresso added (for an after-dinner cocktail), the Royal Delight spiked coffee (Windjammer coffee bar and Cafe Two70), Dark & Stormy (only the Two70 Lounge bar has the correct ingredients), She’s a Geisha (Izumi)

Food: Second (third?) vote for filet at CK on night 1, Truffle Tagliatelle entree and the arancini appetizer at Jamie’s Italian, another vote for The World dessert at Wonderland.

And don’t shortchange the main dining room! Im stunned no one has mentioned their escargots. I also really like their wild mushroom soup offered one of the nights (similar to what Chops has daily), and also their seafoood risotto. Don’t forget to try the Royal Chocolate Cake! I actually liked that better than the Valrhona Chocolate Bar even though it’s a “standard” dessert option.

24 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Here’s my list, and I’ve sailed on Anthem twice:

Drinks: Mango and Melon ‘Rita (only available at Boleros), Baileys on the rocks with a shot of espresso added (for an after-dinner cocktail), the Royal Delight spiked coffee (Windjammer coffee bar and Cafe Two70), Dark & Stormy (only the Two70 Lounge bar has the correct ingredients), She’s a Geisha (Izumi)

Food: Second (third?) vote for filet at CK on night 1, Truffle Tagliatelle entree and the arancini appetizer at Jamie’s Italian, another vote for The World dessert at Wonderland.

And don’t shortchange the main dining room! Im stunned no one has mentioned their escargots. I also really like their wild mushroom soup offered one of the nights (similar to what Chops has daily), and also their seafoood risotto. Don’t forget to try the Royal Chocolate Cake! I actually liked that better than the Valrhona Chocolate Bar even though it’s a “standard” dessert option.

Thank you!!! Added!! 

While the filet is amazing at CK, I would say it ranks 3 best steak on the ship for me behind CK ribeye at #1 and Giovanni's filet which was #2. Giovanni's filet had a tad more flavor in the sauce/marinade which I liked. And the CK ribeye was melt in your mouth and super flavorful. I ate most of it with my eyes closed to better savor it. Oh and the chocolate cake in Giovanni's was the best dessert I had on board hands down. 

Oh and one thing I had every morning in the Windjammer on Grandeur was this sliced sweet bread with either raisins or craisins in it which was found over by the oatmeal. I sprinkled some of the cinnamon from the oatmeal on the slice and it was *chef kiss* I don't know if they have this on the bigger ships, but keep an eye out for it. 

24 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

Oh and one thing I had every morning in the Windjammer on Grandeur was this sliced sweet bread with either raisins or craisins in it which was found over by the oatmeal. I sprinkled some of the cinnamon from the oatmeal on the slice and it was *chef kiss* I don't know if they have this on the bigger ships, but keep an eye out for it. 

They had this on Freedom at Cafe Promenade..soooo good!

43 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

While the filet is amazing at CK, I would say it ranks 3 best steak on the ship for me behind CK ribeye at #1 and Giovanni's filet which was #2. Giovanni's filet had a tad more flavor in the sauce/marinade which I liked. And the CK ribeye was melt in your mouth and super flavorful. I ate most of it with my eyes closed to better savor it.

Just goes to show you that taste is so subjective.  After reading your blog, I tried the rib eye in the summer (on either Anthem or Symphony, I cannot remember now) and I could only eat one bite!  It was awful lol.  I ended up with another order.  And when I had the filet at Giovanni's on Indy, it wasn't that great either (but disclaimer, I was a tad motion sick that night).  Anyway, we're giving Giovanni's another try in March on Oasis so we'll see.

I would normally do an excel spreadsheet but not sure how formatting would show up here. I really appreciate all of the suggestions! Hoping to try everything at least once!

If you decide to try some of these recommended food or drink items be aware that I didn't put the ship name as not all of these venues may be on your ship. I'll try to add it all to one list periodically as more recommendations come in so it's easier to find them all!

FOOD

MDR: Wild Mushroom Soup, Escargot, Seafood Risotto, Royal Chocolate Cake, Lambshank

Windjammer/Café Promenade: Sweet sliced raisin/craisin bread (sprinkle some cinnamon on)

Izumi: Hibachi, Spicy Crispy Shrimp Roll, Udon and Ramen noodles

Jamie’s: Truffle Tagliatelle, Arancini, Lemon Meringue Cheesecake

Giovanni: Filet

Wonderland: World dessert

Playmakers: Football Helmet dessert

Chops: Filet, Seafood Tower, Mushroom Soup, Broiled Main Lobster, Red velvet cake

Coastal Kitchen: Filet, Ribeye, Pork Belly, Valrhona Chocolate Bar, Grilled Tofu & Briased Beef Gnocchi, Braised Short Rib, Chocolate Crunch Bar, Baked Alaska, Coconut Tapioca, Cauliflower Fried Rice

150 CP: Lobster Thermidor, Fried Cheesecake

DRINKS

Sabor: Cucumber Jalapeno Margarita

150 CP: Cumber Martini a.k.a Garden Martini

Chops/Trellis Bar/Schooner Bar: Lavender Tonic

Schooner Bar: Habanero Grapefruit Daiquiri

Izumi: She’s a Geisah, Lemon Drop Martini, Margaritas with Patron

Boleros: Mango and Melon ‘Rita, Baileys on the rocks with a shot of espresso added

Windjammer Coffee bar/Café Two70: Royal Delight spiked coffee

Café Two70: Dark & Stormy